RtW: Add-On Pack 3 BETA for 3.17

Could be a while. RL has been horrendous the last couple of week.

- New baby on the way (wife has entered "nesting" mode)
- Brother moved out on his wife, been spending his time at my place drinking
- Job interviews and work projects

Oh where do I find the time? :)

Current reported bug list & progress:

1936 Global:
- 1936 Global: Artillery for Mao. DENIED - It's supposed to be hard with Mao! That's why the Chinese civil war was for so long.
- 1936 Global: German / Japan oil. FIXED. (German oil near Hamburg [historical] Japanese near Nagasaki [historical])
- 1936 Global: Chinese civil war at start. FIXED. (Two Chinas at war when game starts)
- 1936 Global: Random events TEST popped up. FIXED.
- 1936 Global: Finish Vichy France. FIXED. (Require occupation of Paris + 3 cities)
- 1936 Global: Finish SCW. FIXED. (Franco now turns up on time :))
- 1936 Global: Remove railroads in Africa (this was a product of letting the AI run for 300 turns to build improvs on the map. Call me a cheat :p). FIXED. (RR removed from Africa & Arabia)
- 1936 Global: Culture. FIXED. (Gave certain cities mass culture to push Germany/France/Italy back) See pic in later post.

General:
- Airlift failure doesn't lower airlifts. FIXED. (Failure now increases airlift attempts by 1)
- Cut number of countries in scorelist. FIXED. (To 15)
- Fighter Engage won't attack carriers. NO BUG. (Use airstrike on carriers with no aircraft)
- Light tanks move 4 (great idea). FIXED. (All first tank category tanks)
- Double aircraft build times. FIXED. (Factories no longer give hammer bonus)
- Don't allow capital moving. FIXED. (Palace now requires Acquired Knowledge)

Concepts:
- Dev building (everything expensive, dev building +50% prod allows factories).

Concepts:
- Dev building (everything expensive, dev building +50% prod allows factories).

Heh, hadnt thought of making it be what lets you make factories.

are there only 3 in game videos ? its a bit weird that operation barbarossa has got an own video, but normandy doesnt even have a trigger :p

Thats because Operation Barbarossa was one of the events that affected WWII the most. The Landings of D-Day were just battles which might not even be fought in the mod.

D-Day landing involved a few hundred thousand men. Operation Barbarossa had 6 million (both sides). :)

Videos:
- Intro
- Poland
- Barbarossa
- Lou Kau Bridge
- Japan invades the Pacific nations
- End movie

Have played my Germany-Global/Random game far enough now to encounter the following:

1) The AI is lame. It does not do much to defend primary targets, nor does it react well once those targets are under assault. I know this isn't news, and that it also isn't due to Dale's programming. But I do wonder if there is something that can be done about it. Examples: UK "leaves the British Isles to their fate" while moving large armies around in Africa and posting a huge stack at Gibraltar (perhaps because it keeps flipping to Spain??); France "leaves mainland France to its fate" while moving large armies across Africa; you get the idea (note that this is also happening during the period BEFORE Italy enters the war). The AI will bring the UK/French navy to the North Sea but that's about it. Perhaps the fix to keep countries from moving their capitals will help some. But I wonder if there is some way to place 'something of value' which the AI has to protect? Possibilities: cultural 'wonders' in Paris (Arch de Triumph?), London (Tower of London?), etc. These wonders don't have to have huge production- or game-value, but there has to be some way to make the AI 'want' to protect them (e.g., by airlifting units from Africa to Europe, rush-producing defenders, etc.).

2) Smoke of War. Since I didn't see this in the fix list, I wanted to reiterate: I cannot see a damned thing behind the flames-of-war effect. A year later parts of France are still burning, but at least it doesn't matter since my army has moved on. Like I said earlier, it does not need to change the game-effect of reduced production from battlefield tiles, but I would like the option to turn off the smoke part so I can actually see what's going on. If there is already a way for me to turn this off, can someone tell me what it is?

3) Country Colors. France and one of the Spanish factions are both blue -- kind of confusing. Hungary and Yugoslavia are very-similar colors, as are Germany and UK.

4) Additional identification of Country/Leaders in Advisor screens. Mentioned earlier the possible diplomatic incidents from some country contacting you and you don't know who it is. Some simple linkage where it always has [leader name][country name]. Same thing would be useful for the military advisor screen. I know who the main leaders are, but trying to pick (sorry) Australia's leader-pic out among all the FDR clones is a bit trying. A tooltip popup when you put the cursor over the pic showing [leadername][country name] would help here too. Or use the flags in place of the leader pix on the Military advisor screen?

5) Map issues. Hopefully the culture thing has been fixed, but I too wanted to reiterate how anytime a city is taken the neighbor always absorbs all the surrounding territory. E.G., Spain absorbs most of mainland French territory, Sweden absorbs Norway, etc. It is enough that the cities are in revolt for the better part of a year, but it doesn't seem to be very realistic to have to run the culture slider to get your land back.

Also, as someone said, Athens should be attackable overland (Turkey's culture/border prevent it). Istanbul should be a port on both the Med. and Black Seas to represent the Bosporus (Historical/Random mode makes this moot, as Turkey isn't in the war; but Open Mode would allow whoever controls Istanbul to move ships in/out of the Black Sea -- shouldn't have to build a fort to make this happen). Someone already mentioned that there is a gap between the Maginot fortifications and Low Countries, allowing overland invasion prior to bringing the LC into the war.

6) Diplomacy Issues: In Random Mode, why is anyone asking Germany to switch to Democracy? Why even bother in Random (fine for Open).

Have played my Germany-Global/Random game far enough now to encounter the following:

1) The AI is lame. It does not do much to defend primary targets, nor does it react well once those targets are under assault. I know this isn't news, and that it also isn't due to Dale's programming. But I do wonder if there is something that can be done about it. Examples: UK "leaves the British Isles to their fate" while moving large armies around in Africa and posting a huge stack at Gibraltar (perhaps because it keeps flipping to Spain??); France "leaves mainland France to its fate" while moving large armies across Africa; you get the idea (note that this is also happening during the period BEFORE Italy enters the war). The AI will bring the UK/French navy to the North Sea but that's about it. Perhaps the fix to keep countries from moving their capitals will help some. But I wonder if there is some way to place 'something of value' which the AI has to protect? Possibilities: cultural 'wonders' in Paris (Arch de Triumph?), London (Tower of London?), etc. These wonders don't have to have huge production- or game-value, but there has to be some way to make the AI 'want' to protect them (e.g., by airlifting units from Africa to Europe, rush-producing defenders, etc.).

2) Smoke of War. Since I didn't see this in the fix list, I wanted to reiterate: I cannot see a damned thing behind the flames-of-war effect. A year later parts of France are still burning, but at least it doesn't matter since my army has moved on. Like I said earlier, it does not need to change the game-effect of reduced production from battlefield tiles, but I would like the option to turn off the smoke part so I can actually see what's going on. If there is already a way for me to turn this off, can someone tell me what it is?

3) Country Colors. France and one of the Spanish factions are both blue -- kind of confusing. Hungary and Yugoslavia are very-similar colors, as are Germany and UK.

4) Additional identification of Country/Leaders in Advisor screens. Mentioned earlier the possible diplomatic incidents from some country contacting you and you don't know who it is. Some simple linkage where it always has [leader name][country name]. Same thing would be useful for the military advisor screen. I know who the main leaders are, but trying to pick (sorry) Australia's leader-pic out among all the FDR clones is a bit trying. A tooltip popup when you put the cursor over the pic showing [leadername][country name] would help here too. Or use the flags in place of the leader pix on the Military advisor screen?

5) Map issues. Hopefully the culture thing has been fixed, but I too wanted to reiterate how anytime a city is taken the neighbor always absorbs all the surrounding territory. E.G., Spain absorbs most of mainland French territory, Sweden absorbs Norway, etc. It is enough that the cities are in revolt for the better part of a year, but it doesn't seem to be very realistic to have to run the culture slider to get your land back.

Also, as someone said, Athens should be attackable overland (Turkey's culture/border prevent it). Istanbul should be a port on both the Med. and Black Seas to represent the Bosporus (Historical/Random mode makes this moot, as Turkey isn't in the war; but Open Mode would allow whoever controls Istanbul to move ships in/out of the Black Sea -- shouldn't have to build a fort to make this happen). Someone already mentioned that there is a gap between the Maginot fortifications and Low Countries, allowing overland invasion prior to bringing the LC into the war.

6) Diplomacy Issues: In Random Mode, why is anyone asking Germany to switch to Democracy? Why even bother in Random (fine for Open).

1) AI Doesnt really seem to think that mainland europe is important because of the masses of cities there, making each individual one not as useful.

2) I agree, but I also think it shouldn't last as long.

3)Also, Persia and USSR are the exact same color, so it actually blends their land together making it impossible to tell the difference (they have no border at all, but it still acts as a border when it comes to in game mechanics).

4)This is really annoying to me as well.

5)Dale fixed that, apparently.

6)You can change religion in random and historical mode. That one confused me, too.

Couple more suggestions:

Instead of having a Development building, why not use the goods factory instead? Just make it take much longer to build, and make it a requirement to build factories and other modern buildings (hospital, university). Didn't the countries in WWII have normal "goods" factories before the war and then build military factories?

If Germany had more fascist cities, would it be less likely to convert to democracy? Maybe give Germany some fascist propaganda so when it attacks other cities it can introduce fascism and stop Germany swapping to democracy!

If an enemy take your city, when you retake it all your buildings are destroyed.

When you take over cities, could a box/event come up, giving you the option of spending gold to get more culture in the city. It could simulate propaganda posters and help fix the annoying culture problem when you invade other cities.

Anyway, excellent job Dale! :thumbsup: :worship:

Couple more suggestions:

Instead of having a Development building, why not use the goods factory instead? Just make it take much longer to build, and make it a requirement to build factories and other modern buildings (hospital, university). Didn't the countries in WWII have normal "goods" factories before the war and then build military factories?

If Germany had more fascist cities, would it be less likely to convert to democracy? Maybe give Germany some fascist propaganda so when it attacks other cities it can introduce fascism and stop Germany swapping to democracy!

If an enemy take your city, when you retake it all your buildings are destroyed.

When you take over cities, could a box/event come up, giving you the option of spending gold to get more culture in the city. It could simulate propaganda posters and help fix the annoying culture problem when you invade other cities.

Anyway, excellent job Dale! :thumbsup: :worship:

Well, the point of the dev building is to keep colonies from becoming industrial powerhouses. Making it a standard building would be beside the point, then, don't you think?

Awesome. Simply Awesome. Thanks for the add-on packs. Thanks for an open-beta so in the mean time I can check things out and still play even though I'm updated to v 3.17.

Open GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and change DCM_BATTLE_EFFECTS to zero (0). This will turn off scorched earth.

I've fixed all the "critical" bugs, so will upload another version tomorrow.

It will include the fixes as listed above. I haven't changed Civ colours yet, but will be doing that. :)

Anything else, start listing after you get your hands on the next BETA.

NOTE: Dev building concept is not in yet.

NOTE2: See the new Europe culture map at start of 1936: GA attached.

Looks great, Dale! I'l download as soon as it comes out and report on what I think could be improved.

Okay trying something new. ;)

BETA2 comes in two flavours:
1. UPDATE: Updates AOP3 BETA1 to BETA2. (5 meg)
2. FULL: Delete the whole Road to War folder and start again (407 meg)

I've also provided both Torrent and Classic download formats.

Torrent:
UPDATE: http://rtw.apolyton.net/files/RtW_AOP3_BtS3.17_BETA2_Update.zip.torrent
FULL: http://rtw.apolyton.net/files/RtW_AOP3_BtS3.17_BETA2.zip.torrent

Classic:
UPDATE: http://rtw.apolyton.net/files/RtW_AOP3_BtS3.17_BETA2_Update.zip
FULL: (Still uploading)

I like it so far, Dale. 1st thing it noticed though, is that the space in Norway between the north and south cities doesnt belong to any country. Obviously, it should be norwegian. The most sigificant problem with this is that Norway no longer control the offshore oil platforms to the west. I'm on my second turn as the germans now

The fog of war has an annoying charm. I sent a crew of workers to add in farms, but the flames were burning months later. I say keep it, but thin the vapors on a timer even during the course of the turn. By next turn 50%, then gone.

I really like the 4 movement points light tanks posess now. It really adds a use to them in this game. They are especially usefull defending your terrain with air support, because a weakened enemy stack can lose up to four units a turn to one light tank attacking on friendly ground. They also allowed me to sieze 50% of the balkans in 2 turns :D April 1936!

The fog of war has an annoying charm. I sent a crew of workers to add in farms, but the flames were burning months later. I say keep it, but thin the vapors on a timer even during the course of the turn. By next turn 50%, then gone.

Wish I could, but the only art I know to do is stick figures, and even then they SUCK! ;)

It's part of the animation, I don't think it can be thinned as you say.

Top Bottom