RtW Scenario: 1936 World War!

List I came up with:

Germany (including East Prussia)
Italy (including Albania, Ethiopia)
Japan (including Pacific Isles, Korea, Manchuria)
China
England (including Eastern Africa, Middle East, Sub Continent, India, Pacific Isles)
France (including Western Africa, North Middle East, Pacific Isles)
USA (including Panama & Pacific Isles)
USSR

Arabia
Austria
Australia
Baltic States (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia)
Brazil
Canada
Central America (including Carribean)
Czechoslovakia
East Balkan (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria)
Fascist Spain (Western Iberia, Portugal, Canary Isles, Spanish Morocco)
Finland
Ireland
Low Countries (Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Belgium Congo, Dutch East Indies)
Mexico
Mongolia
New Zealand
Norway
Persia
Philippines
Poland
Republican Spain (Eastern Iberia)
Siam
South Africa
South America (Non Brazil)
Sweden
Turkey
West Balkan (Yugoslavia, Greece)

Also, for such a version, make SURE to prevent the god awful Corruption and waste from killing empires. For instance; put forbidden palaces in locations of strategic area, colonies, and countries. This is appliable to Britain most notably, as there empire is incredibly vast, and will quickly drain the treasury without it. This also creates the effect of a "capital" kill within the area of interest. Say the japanese take Calcutta (or bombay depending on where you want it to be). Not only do the British lose a city, but given if its a capital, they also lose the ability to produce stuff there and lose vast amounts of cash, resulting in the quick capitulation of India to the rest of japan in very short order.

The british empire, for instance, needs one in canada (ottawa), Johannesburg (african war between italians and british in somalia. Cairo (For north african war). Australia.
You could set up the british empire either to have one player to control the entire thing, (with much micromanagement; More than the Americans or Russians!) or set it up as a permanent alliance in similar fashion to how the Peloponesian war mod was set up (distinct countries the player controls).

The french, by example, would control Mainland france, and Vietnam (with a forbidden palace or effect similar there)
Americans should have a forbidden palace like structure in the Manilla.
(you get my idea, just turn up corruption up high so the effect become immediate on the empire in question so they quickly lose it)
With russia, put a forbidden palace in vladivostok.

Remove all areas of inconsequentiality: Notably South america, it will reduce turn time. This was one of the main achilles heel of the Ww2 global version of CIV 3, The god awful turn time (notably a MASSIVE south american war that was going on while the other war was going on). Every bit helps.

Im really looking foreward to this mod. an interesting idea would be to set up the game to continue a little past the end of the war. Then u could include some of he other conflicts that directly followed ww2. Of course, I don't know how historically accurate the scenario would be after that. Another thing i'd like to see is more opportunity for creating alternate history. As it is, historical completely takes away control over declaring war. Free Play has almost no historical component, other than the map. It is basically a reg. civ game on a ww2 map. The half-way mode still allows little control. Is it possible to create a mode where u r free to declare war as u wish, but other civs r still likely to follow a somewhat historical behavior? This way u could change key events in the war, like the Americans joining, or the Germans turning on Russia. Personally, i'd like to try some less conventional things, such as conflict between the commies and nationalists in china breaking out during the war, or maybe even Canada trying to win complete independence from Britain (as they were controlled to some degree at the time). We would have lost of course, but it might have opened up a North American Theatre, as various countries could have used the opportunity to scoop up our many resources.

ty Dale for ctrl-w sry couldnt check message earlier, was on long hollydays :) i wanna try to make global map but never done it before most likely i will not be able to but lets see. if i have questions ill ask here, Happy Hollydays all!!!

That's a lot trickier. You're better off starting a new game at the size you want.

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this (let me know if not).

I tried the newly updated RtW, Europe 1936, with patch 1. Wow, this is pretty impressive! :goodjob:

Here are issues I ran into.

Geographic Detail:
Since I started with France, my comments will center on France (I had intended to try various civs). First off, the city of Rabat and surrounding areas (Morocco) are presently Spanish. Historically, this was a French-held region.
The topography around the city of Nice (southern France) is wrong. High mountains need to extend south into the two spaces just north of Nice. The spaces northwest, northeast, and east of Nice should be at least hills. Right now, it shows the region as flat plains. OK, granted this is just a detail compared to the overall scale of the game, but it does have significant strategic and tactical consequences in the region.

Relative Cost of Units:
The time to build certain units seems out of proportion. For example, a fighter unit requires 240 hammers, a battleship requires 400 hammer, while an anti-tank unit requires 480 hammers! Why? The latter seems way too expensive.

Artillery vs Anti-Tank:
I noticed that artillery gets a +50% bonus vs tanks -- the same as an anti-tank unit. Wouldn't it be more logical to give artillery a +50% vs infantry instead?

Relative strengths of early infantry units:
The differences in strengths of national units seem excessive. Here are the strengths I could see:
  • Benelux 5
  • France 8
  • Italy 10
  • England 12
  • Germany 15
What standard was used to determine relative strengths, especially in the mid-30's? "Pound-for-pound" in those times infantry divisions were fairly comparable. Relative strengths of divisions varied with actual numbers (boots on the ground), available hardware, and especially combat experience -- and certainly not national- or ethnic-based evaluations. Part of the ratings above probably have more to do with game balance (?) than historical accuracy. By the beginning of the war, how can one say that perhaps British infantry, or for that matter Italian infantry, were actually "better" than French infantry in the kinds of proportions suggested by the ratings above?

Game Speed:
This isn't a fault of the mod but of my own computer. I only have half a meg ram, which is clearly insufficient for RtW. By 1937, waiting for other civs to complete their turn took 2'13"... way too long for my taste. Sadly, I had to give up the game. That's a shame because the mod looked very exciting.

Artillery vs Anti-Tank:
I noticed that artillery gets a +50% bonus vs tanks -- the same as an anti-tank unit. Wouldn't it be more logical to give artillery a +50% vs infantry instead?
What ambreville said I think means that Anti tank guns should be removed. Anti tank guns were a specific Type of artillery and fit neatly into the category of artillery if it is given a Anti tank bonus. Against the infantry, artillery is relativly ineffective if they are dug in. They shouldn't recieve a buff against infantry, instead, infantry should recieve a big buff against collateral damage, as this represents there capacity to dig in effectivly to nerf its effects quite massivly.
You could in coding design it so that a unit that is fortified for 5% gains 10% reduction in collateral damage, 10-20%...etc. This would most accurately depict artilleries effect against well dug in troops and still be very effective against moving armies.

Relative strengths of early infantry units:
The differences in strengths of national units seem excessive. Here are the strengths I could see:

I've noticed this too. I find it highly unrealistic that such infantry has a very large difference in the unit strengths as well. a Drafted german infantry unit, should, Pound for pound, win against a Drafted dutch unit at a rate close to 50% with out added buffers {such as hill defense/city defnse bonuses} (notice I said "drafted" for a particular reason). The great powers the germans get should be from using combined arms (Bombers, fighters, artillery) to weaken lesser nations, not from having crazy Uber units to start out with. Part of the reason I put all infantry that start the game at very close strength levels (Biggest difference is that of 10-15{german to chinese units} for very obvious equipment differences of the two nations)
was that the equipment for infantry from all different nations didn't vary too greatly. The biggest determinant between the units should be the experience each units has. My suggestion for realistic *infantry* is that they only advance one strength level per turn, but each upgrade Gives the units unbelievable buffs against units that were designed for the units. when units are upgraded, the equipment is slightly changed.

An example of this would be German early infantry. should start out with an Anti tank (+25% buff against armor) The basic gun is a rifle, and the anti tank capacity is that of Anti tank rifles (very little).

When upgraded to improved German infantry, the strength increases by 1, but a Massive buff against city attack and siege weapons would be introduced due to the great introduction of automatic weaponry infused in it. A slightly bigger anti tank buff would be given to it, due to the increase of weaponry available to the individual units across the board.

The advanced german infantry would technically be equipped with highly advanced weaponry of the era, and thus would be given a Massive attack bonus against armor types (Introduction of Panzerfaust/Shrek) while still advancing only a few numbers in actual strength to its desired level.

Ranks, instead of raw unit strength, should decide unit power to a higher degree. (To give the german units an "edge", instead of giving more raw combat power, give each say, 3 free upgrades (Which duly represents the experience level of the german army, but no necessarily its equipment).

(This would also allow you to potentially nerf the anti tank guns out of the game)

Dale,

Although you haven't explicitly mentioned, I can see that you are using v2.2 of Giant Earth Map to build the global scenario. Are you aware of my latest update v4.1? It is definitely a better map.

Dale,

Although you haven't explicitly mentioned, I can see that you are using v2.2 of Giant Earth Map to build the global scenario. Are you aware of my latest update v4.1? It is definitely a better map.

I tried the 4.1 map. Its great. Dale, take note.

Is there any downloadable Beta Version of the World map yet?

I've been holding my breath for half a year, but still cannot find a download link to the world scenario or an entry in the current patches that this has been included.

Not yet, be patience, i believe it is in the next beta update! :)

The 1936 Global scenario will be available straight after the next BtS patch. :) It will be in the add-on for the next patch (which will also add back in Hitler, swastika, etc).

woot!!!! i thought Dale retired, im glad to hear world scenario will still be out one day.

also i have suggestion if u could make 2 new improvements for workers to build:

1st - Detention facility where u can put max limit 5 workers in it. when worker in jail he

doesnt cost any gold per turn.

2nd - Concentration camps - where we can place captured workers (ex soldiers,setlers,

workers if in the future we will able to capture enemy inf turn them to pow-worker) each

pow could be just like a worker but will not have effect in jails instead in CC they could

make 2 shields and 1 gold to nearest city and maybe 1 unhapiness if country sensitive

to war wearness.

probably lots codings to do all that but could be fun and players would try to get more

pows alive instead just killing.

In options when we start game we could get button to turn on or off DC & CC worker's

ability for those who would rather not see any pows nor inmates.

Sry for asking alot all the time but this will make this game even better.

in the add-on for the next patch

You don't have any idea when that might be do you ;)

Just i am really desperate to play on that map! :)

Top Bottom