Russia First Look [Peter]

The UD ability can save thousands of gold if you focus on great people and it have no weakness over the normal holy district.

The UI is in fact really strong because Holy Site is one of the first if not the first district that is unlocked and halving the production cost to getting a Holy Site means you can easily be the first to found a religion.

Can you activate any kind of GP on holy sites? I thought it was only prophets. In any case, 1 tile is pretty weak.

You-tubers have been spending lots of money to expand borders. Much of that money can now go elsewhere.

I agree that starting with extra tiles is quite strong, but that's not enough to make me forget the rest of the "meh" features.

Seriously, one tile per great person means what, ten more tiles per game?

10 is honestly generous. Remember, the Great Person has to be used in a city with the Holy Site, which may not be the same city that has the other district the Great Person needs to be used in. While you may be able to expend most Great People in a city with the UD, I doubt you'll manage to get all of them there.

Well, the Russian source with that info they gleaned from the "source code" was basically right. Seems like changes were made to Russia after that, but only slight ones (specifically with the Cossack).

Does this mean Persia is more likely to be in as a result as well?!?

I will give it more credence now. Although it is probably DLC, not some late comer to vanilla.

Oh my god, they actually didn't change anything.

I mean, keeping Russia as a religious civ and not giving it any science/production (aside from small UA bonus for production) is one thing, but for goodness sake they had a week's time to at least consider changing Russia! It's been one of the biggest controversies about the game so far (short of AI issues), and probably could have taken less than a day to change up.

But instead, they didn't even consider buffing the bonuses slightly - everything is exactly the same as it was found a week ago. They couldn't even double the Cossack's bonus strength to +10, or giving two tiles for that useless Great Person bonus, no, they left it all the same at an incredibly weak state.

Well, if anything, this at least seems to validate that uploader, confirming that there will be a Persian civ early on in either launch or DLC. That's literally the only good thing to come out of this, I'm pretty mad right now.

So a little bit of analysis:
UA: Mother Russia...extra territory when cities are founded, extra faith/production from Tundra
This is a powerful ability as you will right off the bat have extra tiles you can work. This will allow your borders to expand further than other civs in the same period of time and will save gold as you will have to purchase tiles less often.

LUA: Grand Embassy...receive science and culture from trade routes to more advanced civs
This is a weird ability. Reward Russia for being behind? It can be useful to fill gaps if you're focusing on either science or culture, so perhaps it can be useful simply to keep you fairly close to the leaders even if one of them is not your focus.

UU: Cossack...+10 strength over cavalry (which it replaces) and can move after attacking
This seems to be a fairly straightforward UU without a whole lot of uniqueness. The move after attacking is useful but not necessarily gamechanging.

UD: Lavre (Holy Site replacement)...when you use a GP at this city you add a tile to the city's culture border
This will make Russia a pretty competitive religious player, as their religious districts are half the cost and don't count towards the district limit. Russia can get them up and running more quickly than other civs and build more of them. The GP bonus is nice...again you'll expand faster than other civs, but won't be happening every turn. With more religious districts, though, Russia can afford to purchase more GP.

Russia gets 8 additional tiles on founding a city. That's quite big. +1 Faith and Production from Tundra is great, but needs some food source.

Also the video doesn't mention what particular bonuses Peter has. Maybe those 1 per 3 techs/policies were already changed.

Does this mean Persia is more likely to be in as a result as well?!?
Persia was found in game files, not Civilopedia or something. It's still highly possible the Persia is DLC.

8 more tiles to choose from for all the improvements and district, I'd say this is a huge advantage for them since now land is more important than ever for those districts, farms, wonders and resources

I see a very strong civ, this is not civilization V this is civilization VI and Russia bonuses seems to be very strong in civilization VI.

Think about how much gold you save due to all free tiles.

Very possible to be the strongest religious civ.

One of the strongest trade oriented abilities, similar to arbia last prophet.

One of the strongest late game abilities, extra production and faith from thundra tiles as in the late game food is not much of a problem but production is.

Cossack is very decent, as a cav you can get +100% production towards it, pure strength is very nice and so is moving after attacking.

You-tubers have been spending lots of money to expand borders. Much of that money can now go elsewhere.
Sure... thanks the UA. The district requires you to use a GP, which doesn't seem that common anymore, and it gives you one tile that you don't even choose. Sure, the free district and 50% cost in nice but the unique benefit of the Lavra is underwhelming.

I find Faith-based russia to be confusing... Also the trade bonus too, honestly. When I think religious and/or trade empires, Russia doesn't really leap to the front of the crowd.

Cossack is business as usual and the extra territory on settle is really awesome - moreso in civ6 than in civ5. The rest of the bonuses seem way off though. I don't even mind the catch-up mechanic behind the Trade bonus... I just don't get why russia has a trade bonus in general.

For their infrastructure I would have gone with something science or production oriented.

The UD ability can save thousands of gold if you focus on great people and it have no weakness over the normal holy district.

That's funny, because "it have no weakness over the normal holy site district" is hardly a glowing account given that normally you wouldn't expect a unique district to be weaker than the one it replaces...

And Peter has no ability to emphasize Great People, unlike Alfonso or Pedro.

If anything the best thing that can be said about the UD is that at least it carries all the benefits that a unique district intrinsically carries (cheaper, doesn't count against limits). The "unique" part of it is pretty lame though.

I actually really like the Grand Embassy ability. For example can russia focus on science and don't care about culture generation in the beginning... it gets free land anyways. :) By trading it still gets culture and doesn't fall too far begind.

That land grabbing on city settling ability is nice for quick expansion and reservation of good spots - and probably annoying as hell with russia as your neighbour. :)

don't forget you can buy great peoples with faith, and what do they have? a discounted and no pop required holy site, and double the chance of getting good placement for it with the additional starting tiles

Extra Tiles when you found a city - Great
Bonus to Tundra - Great
Trade Bonuses - Meh what ever
Cossacks - Sure Why not
Lavra - Really what a waste from a game-play and design perspective, it looks the same as any other holy site really

The only decent thing about the UD is that it is, well, a UD, so half price and doesn't count towards limit. Russia looks really strong for early religion, which I never would have anticipated before the leak.

Honestly, the first time I read the leak I misread the UD's abilities as the 'city growing' (e.g. +1 pop) rather than the 'borders growing' when you use a GP, and I thought that was an appropriately strong and thematic ability, can't we have that instead, Ed?

I think the Uniques are fitting and interesting. It's just a question of whether the values are balanced. The values can easily be changed to +2 science and culture per 3 techs. You could get 2 tiles per GP pop. Something like that. Anyway, I never play with Russia so I don't care.

Top Bottom