1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine--Act 3: Ride of the Valkyries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, May 9, 2022.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

And we are back.

Please keep all of these in mind when you post:
    • War news and events
    • No personal attacks
    • Civil discussion
    • Respect for different opinions
    • Ignore sidebar discussions
    • Don't refight pre invasion battles
    Thank you all for keeping this important and difficult topic going reasonably smoothly. :)

Moderator Action: Currently, some of you are thread banned, from the now closed thread, for poor posting of one sort or another. We are granting you a reprieve since those bans will not automatically carry over to this new thread. But if you repeat those poor posting habits in this new thread, you will be banned again for longer and likely without notice. Behave please.

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Victory Day celebration in Berdyansk:

Mariupol, 9 May 2014 and 2022.

3. Birdjaguar

In Speech, Putin Shows Reluctance in Demanding Too Much of Russians

May 9, 2022, 11:43 a.m. ETMay 9, 2022
    1:32Putin Says Invading Ukraine was “Inevitable”
    In his annual Victory Day address, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia defended the decision to invade Ukraine and falsely depicted his country’s actions as an extension of the struggle against Nazism in Europe.CreditCredit...Maxim Shemetov/Reuters

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Lack of enthusiasm for the war it seems.

Easy when you're not the ones in the trenches. Potemkin parade ground soldiers not the best perhaps.

5. Birdjaguar

Russian TV was hacked today so all the shows were anti war announcements.

Lenta.Ru news site was hacked today with all anti war and anti Putin headlines. The headlines then linked to articles denouncing Putin.

The Lenta hackers then revealed who they are and admitted what they had done. They were former Lenta employees living outside Russia.

Hrothbern, REDY and EdmundIronside like this.
  6. citizenofdoom

citizenofdoom Warlord

upload_2022-5-10_8-45-9.png
    It has tag putin but not tag zelensky :(

Moderator Action: Fixed! Birdjaguar

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2022
  7. EvaDK

EvaDK Prince

Rumors have emerged that a possible reason why the Russian Air Force was a no show on Victory Day, is because some pilots have apparently been suspected of disobeying orders by dropping their bombs in fields and woods, instead of the intended targets in Ukrainian cities. As a consequence, Putin cancelled the Air Forces participation in the parade. Rumor only.

Hrothbern, REDY and Birdjaguar like this.
  8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Well the Ukrainian airforce and Bayraktar drones were destroyed in the early days of the war. According to Russia.

Hmmn I don't understand.

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

There is pretty often release of supposedly "intercepted Russian calls" (from Russian soldiers in Ukraine to their friends/family), but I've always been rather suspect of their authenticity, as it's pretty hard to prove.
    Like for exemple these calls. I wonder if some native speakers could at least check if they sound Russian and normal or if the accents don't fit/if they feel like they're reading a script ?

10. r16

r16 not deity

american act of damage control continues . On various fronts . There are no organized forces on the ground . Just mercenaries (which is a very bad word if used for those on the Ukranian side) and volunteers . Who just fool around if they are of the Romantics . Professionals on the other hand shame themselves hard . Accustomed to easy going in the so called Wars against Terror , anytime a bullet whizzez past , they go down to ground and call for massive fire support , upto B-52s . Which are obviously not there . And the amazing lT techs of Ukraine have done wonders . Equipped with cellphones and Starlink terminals they locate targets and arrange for their destruction in a mere 30 seconds while it will take an hour if the whole "chain" was done by the US Military . Of course , Elon Musk . The next king of the world . As like obviously he won't be colonizing Mars by 2026 , because who would have known there would be Russia to colonize ..? ln some more clearer style , instead of just loan sharks .

and interesting turn of events . Starting to doubt Ukranians now ?

innonimatu likes this.
  11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It's why I don't post them.

Some are legit I suspect but yeah we can't verify them.

12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Most of us haven't posted Ukrainian sources for the reasons you posted.

Even video footage has been edited and/or lacks context.

Some of it's useful eg it goes upb12 hours before normal media picks up on it presumably while they verify things.

Also various experts and talking heads on Putin's mind and Russian intentions take with a grain of salt.

13. saamohod

saamohod King

Not only they sound 100% authentic and natural, as a Russian-speaking myself I can immediately pick different accents that only exist in Russia. Nobody here in Ukraine speaks the way they do, even in Russian-speaking regions.

As I said, the conversations sound completely natural, no red flags. Of course it cannot be proof of anything, you can't deny the existence of phenomenal voice actors. But the thing is, even in Russian movies I never saw or heard such an impeccable acting.

emzie, Birdjaguar and keli like this.
  14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Even if they're all authentic they have cherry picked what's ones to release.

Makes sense all things considered just something to be aware of.

Hygro and emzie like this.
  15. red_elk

red_elk Deity

For you "draft notice" looked completely natural too.
    There are plenty of people living in Russia who speaks pure Ukrainian and vice versa. Thousands of emigrants and their relatives.

16. r16

r16 not deity

thanks for the kind explanations like ı wasn't asking for anyhow . The point being the destruction of Russia taking place in various but CONTINIOUS phases . The Americans have "destroyed" Russian conventional military , because just watch the internet , and they are now picking on unconventional stuff and they want the rest of Russians passively watch . No Russian generals will possibly die today , but yeah , can't tell about tomorrow . You know , just like the lraqi stuff . So , quoting the whole text for ease or just one sentence , the last one possibly is not justification enough for the CFC phase of doubting Ukraine for today ?

17. saamohod

saamohod King

These videos might be entertaining as well.
    Even for those who don't speak Russian one can watch the body language, tone of voice and other non-verbal signals and make one's own conclusion.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Once again though they have xhery picked what to release. Being a PoW is also stressful so there's an element of duress is involved.

Some of those videos are interesting but but keep that in mind.

19. saamohod

saamohod King

I never denied it.

Exactly. I never claimed PoWs are having a vacation after they've been caught. This can be seen in the behavior of the PoW and the interviewer and it only proves the authenticity of the videos.

20. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Yeah, we generally doubt what we are fed from various media, while Russians people, the various people posting from troll farm (ie not you, not here) or being influenced by their propaganda seem to never ever doubt the Russian narrative.

Personally I've seen a lot of videos from both side showing various attacks, and something I always try to keep in mind is what is not shown in those videos. Hit doesn't mean kill. And more video from confirmed kills on one side may just mean the other dont have as many smartphone or internet access. Or is more professional. And is not proof of who's winning or losing the war.

The problem is more than Russia media has proven again, again, again, again, again and again that they were far less trustworthy.

edit: removed assumption

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    REDY and keli like this.