Russian demographic crisis ending?

RedRalph

Deity
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8468185.stm

Russia has bucked a long-term trend of population decline by recording its first annual increase in 15 years, its health minister has announced.

The population grew in 2009 by between 15,000 and 25,000 to more than 141.9 million, Tatyana Golikova said, quoting preliminary figures.

Much of the growth is due to a falling death rate and increasing migration.

But births also rose, with 2.8% more babies born last year than in 2008, the Russian health minister said.

Slow growth

The rise in population was predicted last month by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin who, as president, brought in policies to stem population decline.

The decline has traditionally been blamed on emigration, alcoholism, poor healthcare and poverty.

Low population predictions have been a key factor in economic forecasts which see Russia growing much more slowly over the next 20 years than China, Brazil and India.

US bank Goldman Sachs has said that a change in population forecasts could significantly change the long-term growth projections for Russia, whose economy contracted by at least 8.5% in 2009, its biggest annual decline in 15 years, Reuters news agency reported.

"Russia is perhaps the least predictable and possibly the one with the scope to surprise the most," Goldman economist Jim O'Neill wrote, in a report last month, adding that Russia's economy could overtake Germany's in 2029 and Japan's in 2037.

Good news, if it's sustainable. Might put and end to the apocalyptic predictions of the end of Russia too.

No all we need to do is cripple the global economy so we can live in a more sustainable world.

No all we need to do is cripple the global economy so we can live in a more sustainable world.

It was clearly a joke Merk, as shown by the smilie at the end. By all means, use your credibility and analytical powers to embarass me though.

Russia isn't out of the woods yet but its a first step.

Putin is singlehandedly responsible for the population increase having personally bedded several million Russian women.

Russia isn't out of the woods yet but its a first step.

Putin is singlehandedly responsible for the population increase having personally bedded several million Russian women.

No, it doesn't mean its completely solved, but I think the predictions we heard a while back about Russia having only 80m citizens in 100 years can safely be dismissed. there's a big anti-alcohol campaign starting too, but one wonders how successful that will be.

I'm really beginning to worry Winner is gone. He hasn't even logged in this year...

I need him, in a way

I'd pump out a lot of babies for Russia if I were allowed to mate with Maria Sharapova and Anna Kournikova.

Am I the only one who never though Russia had a real demographic crisis?

they still do have one, just nto one that's going to lead to them having a tiny population. the male life expectancy is still appallingly low.

It's a bit optimistic to say that this represents 'the end' of the Russian demographic crisis.

It could pretty easily be a blip. If it persists for a few years we can start making claims.

they still do have one, just nto one that's going to lead to them having a tiny population. the male life expectancy is still appallingly low.
That's a health crisis, not a demographic crisis. The problem is that men are dying, not that men dying is offsetting births.

It's a bit optimistic to say that this represents 'the end' of the Russian demographic crisis.

It could pretty easily be a blip. If it persists for a few years we can start making claims.

this is true, but one way or another, it's clear things arent as bad as were predicted a few years ago. I saw suggestions Russia would have 80m people by 2050.

Can we also claim that global warming is ending? It's been a cold winter.

That's a health crisis, not a demographic crisis. The problem is that men are dying, not that men dying is offsetting births.

Actually that's a big part of the problem. It is both a demographic and health crisis.

this is true, but one way or another, it's clear things arent as bad as were predicted a few years ago. I saw suggestions Russia would have 80m people by 2050.
Those prediction were absurd, absurd as people predicting the Irish nation would disappear 50 years ago.

Top Bottom