Russians: masters of space travel

So what happens if NATO and Russia have a big falling out? Will we still be able to go ahead with ISS? Or at least safely return astronauts up there?

Russia tries to show the world (especially to USA) that they are in the big game again, so they'll probably be doing something in space department too. Maybe that's the end of cooperation? I hate big egos!

Story is rather really funny. NASA and ESA and other ISS related space agencies are now 100% dependant on Russian Soyuz capsules for transportation to and from ISS. NASA even had to ask for an exemption on US trade embargo against Russia.

In other words, they're a glorified shuttle bus.

So what happens if NATO and Russia have a big falling out? Will we still be able to go ahead with ISS? Or at least safely return astronauts up there?

Russia tries to show the world (especially to USA) that they are in the big game again, so they'll probably be doing something in space department too. Maybe that's the end of cooperation? I hate big egos!

Essentially, if Russia gets mad enough, the USA gets completely humiliated. :rolleyes:

Hardly. Russia needs Western money to keep its space programme alive.

Scientists have a way of colluding even when the populations hate each other. It's actually kinda cool. "Comrade Imperialistic Dog, please find enclosed my research paper on per moment shift in negative charge during the migration of a potassium-channel alpha helix. Let me know what you think!"

Scientists have a way of colluding even when the populations hate each other. It's actually kinda cool. "Comrade Imperialistic Dog, please find enclosed my research paper on per moment shift in negative charge during the migration of a potassium-channel alpha helix. Let me know what you think!"

It would be really shameful If we had another cold war and prohibition of scientific cooperation.
I think post 1991 space cooperation between NASA, ESA and Russia was a brilliant think and helped all parties involved.
But now Russia may feel it has enough cash to support it's space program and they may quickly become uncooperative. On the other hand USA may feel threatened by rising Russian power and will become less cooperative as well...

Top Bottom