S-04 HC's worst nightmare

Aïe, I completely missed that. Looking for excuses :
Our civics are set up nicely so dont change those
:rolleyes:

By the way, Louis still didn't get MT. Don't forget to sign defensive pact as soon as he gets it.

Well, I made a silly civics change too. I revolted to State Property and Free Speech, but forgot about Org. Religion which would have given +25% to the UN for no extra anarchy. No point revolting again - wouldn't be worth the anarchy.

1738 AD: Electricity finished, radio started. Then I noticed how awesome watermills are in the late game. A flood plains watermill is a 4/3/4 tile! I watermill a whole load of tiles.

1740 AD: Start the globe in Madrid, Broadway in Olmec, Scotland Yard in Moscow. Another watermill fact: you can watermill an ice flood plains (meltwater ?) but not a desert floodplains. Makes sense really.

We get a great merchant, he heads off for a trade mission. Scroll north, he heads south.

1748 AD: Our merchant arrives at Thebes and gets us 2250 gold. 100% science!

1754 AD: Another watermill fact: you cannot build a watermill next to another, but sometimes you can. It's a bit weird.

1756 AD: Radio finishes, start Mass Media. Jimi Hendrix starts practicing in Cuzco. Give communism and physics to Hatty for biology, constitution and 280 gold.

1758 AD: Give physics to Louis for corporation and 270 gold. He repays us by flipping Pamplona - the cheeky git. Did anyone notice a revolt here? I didn't - otherwise I'd have fully garrisonned the city.

Mass Media is due in 4 turns - start it in Moscow (put scotland yard on hold). Hopefully we can trade for steam power sometime to get coal to fuel the ironworks more.

I think Pindicator is up. Save is here.

EDIT: And I built a settler, half by mistake. It's due next turn - Pindicator's challenge is to find somewhere interesting to settle him :). Oh, and build the UN.

Pretty quiet turn, but then somebody saved some fireworks for the end.

First off, I found a place to put a useless settler:

If only it had a food resource, it would be a decent city.

Then we start on the UN. I picked Moscow to build it because no other city has HALF of its production.

After Mass Media I went for Steam Power, and sure enough we have a single coal source!

It is now hooked up to the empire, and we are researching Railroads.

Louis still had not discovered MT upon my last check, so I was happily clicking away at the Next Turn button, and then this happened.

This throws a wrench into things, doesn't it? You know we are going to be asked to join by both of them.

Eek, Hatty is now Islamic too. Louis is friendly with Kublai, but he's more friendly with us. I guess we just decline both offers of war. Let's hope kublai doesn't join in with Hatty.

Mike p is up - to finish the game?

EDIT: both will make peace with the other for electricity - could be useful to to this before we get asked to join or Kublai hemps in.

I should be able to play it tonight. I'll look at stopping the war between the two of them. Will selling Hatty a tech for peace with Louis give us a "You traded with our worst enemy" penalty from Loius?

Never had such a case before but sure it can't be worse than refusing to go to war. And they won't stop at that. They would urge you to stop trading too. Two negative hits and we're kaput for the diplo

I should be able to play it tonight. I'll look at stopping the war between the two of them. Will selling Hatty a tech for peace with Louis give us a "You traded with our worst enemy" penalty from Loius?

Possibly, but maybe not if we don't get anything in return except for a peace agreement. Eg don't ask for her gold and world map too.

Hatty just wants electricity, Louis wants electricity (or SP) and communism. We just got a hit from hatty going to Islam, so I'd make the deal with her.

1778 AD I started off by bribing Hatty to make peace with Louis for Electricity. It occurs to me that even worse than having one of them ask us to join in would be if one of them ends up bigger than Kublai after taking the other's cities.

I also fired a few engineers and replaced them with farmers to help grow our population some, just in case the vote is that close.

We're building the Eiffel Tower in our Heroic Epic city. Generally I wouldn't do that, I'd just be churning out units there, but I let it stand.

1780 AD We get a great artist. He can lightbulb towards Democracy, and we'd need two other GPs for another Golden Age, so I leave him idle for now.

1782 AD I ask around and Loius will give us 290 gold, which lets me shave a turn of research on Railroad. I start moving a bunch of workers towards Moscow to prepare for railroading.

1784 AD I start Democracy, not realizing the Statue of Liberty has already been built somewhere else.

1786 AD Notice that Scotland Yard is being built in Moscow. Is that really the best choice for it? Personally I tend to put Scotland Yard and Mt. Rushmore in a second tier city, because neither of them synergize well with a high production city. Red Cross is usually a much better choice for your Ironworks city because at least when you aren't building wonders or space ship parts you can crank out units quickly.

1790 AD Egypt asks for Radio and I comply. I also tear up our towns around Moscow and replace them with workshops, which shave another turn off of the UN. (We've got more hammer mulitpliers than commerce multipliers in Moscow.)

1794 AD Democracy done, I start Assembly Line.

1804 AD UN is completed. I trade fur to Kublai for Stone and start the Kremlin in Moscow, just for historical accuracy and style points. I vote for us for UN Secretary.

1806 AD We have a real problem here:

If Louis prefers Kublai, we don't win. I really don't understand the Civ math here and this is further reasons why I hate the diplomacy victory system:

I almost stopped here to hand it off after discussing our next move but then I thought that by signing a defensive pact with Loius we might be able to bring him over to our side.

Unfortunately, Hatty wouldn't trade us Military Tradition for Mass Media, so I decided to burn the Great Artist on Military Tradition and turn our research up to 100%, which combined will give us Military Tradition in one turn, and then try to get a Defensive Pact with Louis before the next election.

1808 AD We get a Defensive Pact with Loius but it doesn't change our diplo modifiers with him at all. All it does is reduce Hatty from Friendly to Pleased. Did I just foul everything up here?

1810 AD We finish Assembly Line.

If Louis won't vote for us, then I suppose we should prepare to declare on Kublai, and take enough of his land that ours and Hatty's votes will be enough to put us over the top. Comments?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/56599/HC_s_worst_nightmare_AD-1810.Civ4SavedGame

Edited to add: On second thought, we should just declare on Louis. He's the prick that won't vote for even though he's Friendly and we could probably get Hatty to pile on. That way Kublai stays second in population.

I was going to say bribing Louis to declare on Khan, but then when you say to attack Louis... well, I just remember that he declared on us way back when, and I've been itching for payback.

Sigh.. another annoying Diplomatic victory thing. We are +12 with Loius and Kublai is +8 with him.. and yet he votes for him? sigh.. Defensive pact should give us +1 points in 10 turns I believe, and another +1 10 turns after that, im not sure though.

I think there is some element of randomness in Louis' voting. He may well vote for us if we try for diplo victory. If he doesn't, he might do it next time.

I know there's at least a -1 penalty to the human for our difficulty level, possibly higher. EDIT: they will also have warmongerrespect for each other.

Another small thing we should do is stop giving Louis hapiness resources.

Hatty dropping to pleased is slightly worrying, but last time I checked she was only cautious with Kublai.

So Qwack is up. I suggest we play on peacefully for 2 more votes, trying for diplo victory and building up our army. I guess we should stop building those wonders and start on infantry and cannon. Flight would be a nice tech to pick up since we already have radio.

Louis declaring war just before we built the UN really screwed us over because it made Hatty his worst enemy - an instant -4 with us for trading with worst enemy.

If you want to avoid the diplo victory, can't you gift a few cities to Monty to drop your voting power? Or whip away some of your population to drop your votes...must be something you can do until Monty gets his Spaceship up and running...

As well as beating up on either Kublai or Louis of course. :)

I would put a stop to this if I wanted to avoid diplo, and give Monty every possible chance.

M2C.

Monty died a long time ago - I think you mixed your SGs up :lol:. Think you need to recheck your lurker handbook :p.

Top Bottom