Saddam on trial - when, were and for what?

Who must judge Saddam ?

• The People of Iraq in Baghdad

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • The USA in Washington

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • The International Criminal Court in the Hague

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • The People of Iraq then confirmed by Washington

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • The People of Iraq then confirmed by the Hague

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • He shouldn't be judged

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other solutions

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Dumb pothead

The better the case made against him, the tougher it will be for future revisionists (like the current day holocaust deniers) to portray him as a victim of some kind of American/Zionist conspiracy. I dont recognise Saddam as having any human rights worth worrying about for their own sake. He gave up those rights when he decided to butcher his own people and anybody else he could get his hands on.

This were we disagree. Everyone has human rights, to be different would be to act like Saddam himself, and thats not a compromise i am willing to make. Its not like anyone takes those Holocause revisionists seriously anyway.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
I'm curious - am I the only one here that isn't concerned about violating this man's "rights?"

I am not in favor of giving him a fair trial because I believe him to be worthy of having any rights, but because I want his trial to be remembered as fair. Plus, a proper jugement will have the advantage of making it quite clear exactly what he did, when and against whom, and who was implied.
Furthermore, I actually believe in the concept of "Justice", which only works if it is applied to everyone. Concept which is more important than Saddam's fate.
If the allied could organise a fair trial for Nazi leaders, why cannot the same be done for Saddam?

Originally posted by archer_007

This were we disagree. Everyone has human rights, to be different would be to act like Saddam himself, and thats not a compromise i am willing to make. Its not like anyone takes those Holocause revisionists seriously anyway.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You mean except for the extremist neo-nazi movements who use these revisionists to provide a semi-legitimate vaneer of respectability to their sordid little organizations? Jesus, will anyone ever actually learn anything from history?!? :mad:

I'm curious - am I the only one here that isn't concerned about violating this man's "rights?"

Other than for PR purposes, this guy shouldn't get anything more than a trip to his own human shredder.

:( I think we should act better than that. I suppose the US kills more prisoners than any other country so I shouldn't expect them to respect human rights.

Originally posted by Kentonio
Personally I think its highly unreasonable to resort to rascist assertions that the Iraqi people are incapable of carrying out fair forms of justice myself, but hey we all have our little foibles.
hardly racist. The Iraqi's, from their previous government, aren't set up for a proper trial.
Our soldiers spend sweat and blood to capture this man, and then people want him turned over to a bunch of wishy-washy double-crossing back-stabbing UN weasel bureaucrats?
Some guys in Washington force soldiers to spend sweat and blood to catch a guy and you think that it was the soldier's idea? Besides, just becasue someon is determined it doesn't mean they should have it their way.

Originally posted by Hygro
Besides, just becasue someon is determined it doesn't mean they should have it their way.
But you can count on that the jurisdiction which has control of prisoner will decide which of all the competing competant forums will get first crack at a defendant, just like the John Muhamed case in the USA with the feds and mutilple states involved.

Originally posted by Kinniken

Furthermore, I actually believe in the concept of "Justice", which only works if it is applied to everyone. Concept which is more important than Saddam's fate.
If the allied could organise a fair trial for Nazi leaders, why cannot the same be done for Saddam?

Exactly, the concept of justice is what is important. Personally, Saddam needed to be raped by a mountain goat.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You mean except for the extremist neo-nazi movements who use these revisionists to provide a semi-legitimate vaneer of respectability to their sordid little organizations? Jesus, will anyone ever actually learn anything from history?!? :mad:

And other then the fraction of a percent of the population they make up, everyone else sees them as idiots.

Originally posted by Hygro

hardly racist. The Iraqi's, from their previous government, aren't set up for a proper trial.

We already covered the rascist thing but thanks for playing. ;)

Why exactly do you presume they are not set up for a proper trial? Does a trial really have to contain the common US nonsense with huge tribes of lawyers fighting for years over inconsequential points of detail and suchlike? Iraq is not Afghanistan, it is a modern civilised nation who unfortunately fell under the rule of a despot. I would say they are MORE than capable of carrying out a perfectly proper trial, and whats more they are about to do so.

Originally posted by archer_007

And other then the fraction of a percent of the population they make up, everyone else sees them as idiots.

Agreed. It is just one of those areas where absolute intolerance is justified to prevent any possible propoganda useage in the future.

Anyone belive Saddam would try a "you did not seam to care that I killed 1000 of civilians when it was to your gain" defence or perhaps a, "better let me of easy or I will show records that will prove how you traded with me when I killed 1000 of civilians"

Why exactly do you presume they are not set up for a proper trial? Does a trial really have to contain the common US nonsense with huge tribes of lawyers fighting for years over inconsequential points of detail and suchlike? Iraq is not Afghanistan, it is a modern civilised nation who unfortunately fell under the rule of a despot. I would say they are MORE than capable of carrying out a perfectly proper trial, and whats more they are about to do so.

No, but it has to investigate and prove (yes, even if everyone knows Saddam is guilty, proof is still needed) a rather massive list of crimes. Plus, if for Saddam personally his guiltiness is *ahem* rather obvious, don't forget that there is a whole regime to judge. And a lot of cases will not be clear-cut.
Iraq currently has no constitution, no legitimate authority and thus no criminal code with a democratic legitimacy behind it. Plus, most of Iraqi judges were involved to some extents in Saddam's regime, and thus need to be cleared before anything else can be done.
I would like Saddam to be kept in prison for a few years, and judged only when a legitimate Iraqi government can do so properly.

Lets be realistic here. Obviously, the U.S. will have some input in his prosecution. We wouldnt let the Iraqis handle it alone without our oversight. Theres too much riding on this for that. If theres one thing we have plenty of here in the U.S. is lawyers. They'll see to it that the proceedings are proper and can pass any legal sniff test.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I highly doubt the Americans will allow a real trial of Saddam on his doings of the last 30 years. Why? Because an impartial committee will likely find a mountain of evidence connecting the Bush family and other neocons to Saddam's crimes in the 80's.

I think the trial process should involve shaving off his moustache and putting him in a pink frilly dress, for starters. He will be tried by the Iraqis, and done so appropriately, without any conspiracy theories.

Sobieski, if you lend me $300 and I buy a gun and shoot 20 people with it, bringing up your loan during the trial wont grant me immunity from prosecution for murder. American corporate/Bush family/neo-con support is another trial entirely, with a different set of defendants.

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
I think the trial process should involve shaving off his moustache and putting him in a pink frilly dress, for starters. He will be tried by the Iraqis, and done so appropriately, without any conspiracy theories.

By conspiracy theories, you are not talking about the neocon involvement are you? How do you think they knew he had WMDs, the British and Americans had the receipts.

Especially because we're talking about Saddam the trial should be as fair and as neutral as possible.

I remember an old trial that has been too quickly done... it was the one of Louis XVI. Look how people are thinking about his trial now !! Here's the result of an excuse of trial...

To get back to Iraq, I should remind you the guys who caught him weren't iraqis but foreigners. What would you have thought about it if the french, austrians or anyone else went in New England in 1760, and have told : "It's obvious brits are suckers and you don't like them ! For your own good, I get them out of America ! But don't worry... we'll do some kind of trial to give an official reason why we've done so (and it has no link with the fact we have colonies just above from where you are...)"

That would suck ! Once again, we don't need an excuse of trial. We need to prove facts. That's the only way to legitimate the war and to make of that trial something that deserves to be respected... and not considered as oriented.

Top Bottom