Saddam on trial - when, were and for what?

Who must judge Saddam ?

• The People of Iraq in Baghdad

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • The USA in Washington

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • The International Criminal Court in the Hague

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • The People of Iraq then confirmed by Washington

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • The People of Iraq then confirmed by the Hague

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • He shouldn't be judged

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other solutions

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Dumb pothead
Sobieski, if you lend me $300 and I buy a gun and shoot 20 people with it, bringing up your loan during the trial wont grant me immunity from prosecution for murder. American corporate/Bush family/neo-con support is another trial entirely, with a different set of defendants.

But the trial would likely bring to light facts, they would rather keep buried, and thus the trial will probably be more symbolic than anything.

Would be funny to see what the Americans do if, say, Rumsfeld was dragged off to the Hague.

They need to turn Hussein's trial into a money making event. Like have celebrity lawyers and judges and basically turn it into the biggest reality tv show ever and put it all on pay-per-view. Charge mucho money for the audience tickets and have it in a large colloseum or something. Make some board games, t-shirts, etc. Enable public voting on motions or just opinions on the next move or whatever by telephone charging $.95 per call. Have a big carnival outside with "charity" booths where you pay $10.00 to take a tommy gun to a target with his picture on it. That kind of thing. You know, help pay for the cost of the war.

Sobieski, if you lend me $300 and I buy a gun and shoot 20 people with it, bringing up your loan during the trial wont grant me immunity from prosecution for murder. American corporate/Bush family/neo-con support is another trial entirely, with a different set of defendants.

What about if he skips the 300 dollars and gives you flamethrower, and looks the other way while you use it? Doesn't that make both of you guilty, even if the givver turns the user in.

Originally posted by Skullbones
They need to turn Hussein's trial into a money making event. Like have celebrity lawyers and judges and basically turn it into the biggest reality tv show ever and put it all on pay-per-view. Charge mucho money for the audience tickets and have it in a large colloseum or something. Make some board games, t-shirts, etc. Enable public voting on motions or just opinions on the next move or whatever by telephone charging $.95 per call. Have a big carnival outside with "charity" booths where you pay $10.00 to take a tommy gun to a target with his picture on it. That kind of thing. You know, help pay for the cost of the war.

Hey, why not? The war was a reality TV show, so why not make the trial one as well?

skullbones, maybe a Pay Per View event where Saddam and Noriega fight to the death in gladitorial combat.

Originally posted by Sobieski II
By conspiracy theories, you are not talking about the neocon involvement are you? How do you think they knew he had WMDs, the British and Americans had the receipts.

Well, there was the small matter of Little Miss Saddam-Muffet using them against the Iranians, and the Kurds in his way. That is usually indicative of having weapons. And his ickle plant at Osirak gives some nice contextual intent.

Are you saying the Americans and British, didn't sell them to Iraq Simon? Who did? Either way, I doubt there will be an actual impartial trial of Saddam.

Doesn't really matter though, the guy was a dink.

skullbones, maybe a Pay Per View event where Saddam and Noriega fight to the death in gladitorial combat.

Not a bad idea, but it wouldn't last long enough. But, these type of events would be excellent to keep the people entertained in the evening. There's lots of possibilities to make profits here.

Who helped build Osirak? Yep it was those lovely French gentlemen, and unsubstantiated rumour suggests that the Germans played their own role in the Iraqi chemical and biological weapons programmes. If blame is to be thrown around, lets throw it at EVERYONE involved shall we? I do wonder however who will be left unsullied and able to attack the guilty with righteous indignation. Andorra perhaps?

That is funny, don't they both have pictures of being warmly embraced by Donny Rumsfeld?

Any reasonably industrialised country with petrochemical and insecticide industries has the capability for a quite spiffing dual use production program.

(sigh) Another election win delivered to the right by the self defeating left. I was afraid of this. Hello, is this thing on (taps microphone)? You cant win election to anything by booing when a mass murderer gets apprehended.

Ive got a nice picture of Chamberlain shaking hands with Hitler and another of Chirac apparently being very chummy with Saddam. A picture can tell a thousand words but that doesnt mean any of them are necessarily true.

(sigh) Another election win delivered to the right by the self defeating left. I was afraid of this. Hello, is this thing on (taps microphone)? You cant win election to anything by booing when a mass murderer gets apprehended.

I cheered his capture, but boo the fact that he probably won't get a real trial.

Sobieski, many of the things you mention are valid but theyre for another day. Today is about being thankfull a mass murdrer is going to face justice. That doesnt happen as often as it should, why not take a day off from politics (its Sunday after all) and just be happy about it. As long as Rove restrains himself and doesnt have Bush parachuting into the courtroom right after the verdict is read, and giving the thumbs up sign to the cameras, Im willing to give credit where its due.

Of course it is good that he is caught, and he should face justice. I just wish it was at the Hague, where all of the truth could come out.

Damn, we'll have to go to Plan B then...The President flies an F-117 in to Baghdad and lands it on a road after some aerobatics, then leaps through a closed window and swings through the wall of the courtroom in Lord Flashheart style exclaiming "Iiiiit's me! Hurray!" before clumsily spaying Nasser Hussain with a service revolver.

Yeah and when Bush swings into the courtroom, Saddam says "Ohhhhh dear..." like Blackadder:lol:

Yeah, let's just be glad he didn't manage to commit suicide before they caught him, and thereby die unrepentent!

Who knows: maybe he'll break down in tears before court, on TV live to the World. Maybe he'll finally just retreat into lunacy, and then everyone will know if he's really evil - or just unhinged. Maybe he will publicly apologise for all his crimes?

Top Bottom