1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Saga Of Man

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by UncivilizedGuy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

upload_2018-11-25_17-32-59.png

For download information and details on the last stable build please go here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644328949&searchtext=

New Alpha version download: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/saga-of-man.27156/

This thread is about my newest creation. Please click the Alpha link to help me test it out.

Spoiler New Tech Tree :
    upload_2018-11-25_17-55-30.png upload_2018-11-25_17-56-12.png

:c5war::c5war:My vision and my goal:c5war::c5war:
    Saga of Man is my quest to make Civ5 feel more epic and more expansive. Inspired by great mods like Rise of Mankind and Caveman2Cosmos from Civ4.

I've gone back to the drawing board and I'm rebuilding Saga of Man from the ground up. My new approach is to work on each era as if they are their own scenario. I'm piecing this back together using content from my original mod and at the same time adding new content. It's playable in it's current form but needs major balancing.

:c5war::c5war:Research and Realism:c5war::c5war:
    Much time has been spent researching each era to keep the game as realistic as possible. If it's not realistic I'm not happy. Game balance has taken a back seat at the moment. So please give the Alpha version a test run and leave some feedback.

:c5war::c5war:Features:c5war::c5war:
    Saga of Man is all about more, more, more. More content helps increase the immersion. The download page has detailed lists of buildings, wonders, units, resources, improvements, etc. for the Alpha version.
    • Expanded Tech Tree. My goal is to make each era feel like a scenario by adding more techs and increasing research costs. There are invisible connections between many techs to keep the tech tree clean and uncluttered. (Progress: Prehistoric Era is mostly complete.)
    • More Buildings and Wonders that are era specific. Buildings will now go obsolete. Buildings will only have prerequisite buildings for realistic reasons. (Progress: added many Prehistoric buildings and wonders)
    • More Improvements and Resources. Since resources can't go obsolete, only resources that have had importance throughout most of history will be added to the map. Era specific resources will be produced by buildings. (Progress: Maize, Rice, Tobacco, and Tea have been added to the map. Added some Prehistoric era luxuries that are produced by buildings.)
    • More units of course. Units in some cases will require multiple strategic resources for realism. (Progress: added a few Prehistoric units)
    • Future Era: A future era is planned. (Progress: not started)
    • Social Policies overhaul. Each Social Policy tree will represent a different government type. I have no plans at the moment to make changes to ideologies. (Progress: not started)
    • Genetic based civilizations that unlock culturally unique units and buildings. This is in the idea phase.
    Spoiler Alpha Version 1 :

Eras renamed
    Prehistory
    Ancient
    Medieval
    Early Modern
    Industrial
    Late Modern
    Contemporary
    Future

New Techs (techs are Prehistoric era unless otherwise noted)
    Art
    Band Society
    Boat Building
    Carpentry
    Cereal Preparation
    Ceremonial Burial
    Clothing
    Complex Tools
    Cooking
    Draft Animals
    Fermentation
    Fire Mastery
    Fishing
    Food Preservation
    Herbalism
    Irrigation
    Language
    Metalworking
    Music and Dance
    Slash-and-Burn
    Smelting
    Stone Tools
    Symbols
    Tanning
    Textiles
    The Carriage (Ancient era)
    The Plough
    The Spear
    Trade
    Warfare
    Weaving
    Worship and Ritual

New Units
    • Hunter - Recon unit. Cheap and weak. Upgrades to Scout. Goes obsolete at Trapping. (credit JTitan)
    • Gatherer - Worker unit. Builds Camps, Quarries, Mines, Forest Gardens. Gets consumed with each improvement created, similar to Work Boat. Goes obsolete at Agriculture. (credit JTitan)
    • Shaman - Expensive unit that requires Sweat Lodge. Creates Ritual Sites. Goes obsolete at Theology. (credit JTitan)
    • Canoe - Cheap, weak naval unit. (credit Deliverator)
    • Tribe - Settler unit. (credit JTitan)
    • Mammoth - Barbarian unit (credit Deliverator)
    • Wolf - barbarian unit (credit Kwadjh)
    • Lion - barbarian unit (credit Deliverator)
    New Improvements
    • Forest Garden - +1 Food. Created by the Gatherer. Can only be constructed on Forests and Jungle. (There is no improvement art for this. You will simply see the yield change)
    • Nomadic Camps - replaces the Ancient Ruins as the goody hut. Uses the Encampment graphic.
    • Lairs - replaces the Barbarian Encampment. A Lair looks like a Cave. I wanted something humans and animals can occupy. (credit Nomad or What)
    • Ritual Site - +3 Faith. Created by the Shaman. Uses the Antiquity Site graphic.
    • Other changes - Antiquity Sites now use the Ancient Ruins graphic.
    • Lumber Camps are Lumber Mills renamed. Lumber camps produce the strategic Timber resource.
    New Buildings
    Baskets
    Bonfire
    Cairn
    Causewayed Enclosure
    Cave Painting
    Dolmen (replaces Shrine)
    Earth Oven
    Graveyard
    Henge
    Kiln
    Loom
    Menhir (replaces Monument)
    Obsidian Quarry
    Palisade
    Pottery
    Shell Midden
    Shelter
    Smokehouse
    Stone Circle
    Sweat Lodge
    Tannery
    Tumulus
    Water Well

New Wonders
    Atlit Yam
    Bhimbetka Rock Shelters
    Blombos Cave
    Cairn of Barnenez (credit artisanix)
    Cave of Altamira
    Caves of Swabian Jura
    Gobekli Tepe (credit Pouakai)
    Heart of Neolithic Orkney (credit artisanix)
    Lascaux
    Megalithic Temples of Malta (credit artisanix)
    Nan Madol (credit Pouakai)
    Nazca Lines (credit Pouakai)
    Newgrange (credit artisanix)
    Venus of Dolni Vestonice
    Venus of Willendorf

New National Wonder
    Den - new national wonder. Free at game start. Replaces Palace. Palace is now buildable at Writing.

New Resources
    • Maize - bonus (credit framedarchitecture)
    • Rice - bonus (credit framedarchitecture)
    • Tobacco - luxury (credit framedarchitecture)
    • Tea -luxury (credit framedarchitecture)
    • Timber - strategic, produced by Lumber Camps. This resource will be required to build ships and siege warfare.(credit Hulfgar)
    • Leather - luxury, produced by Tannery
    • Obsidian - luxury, produced by Obsidian Quarry. (This does not generate on the map)
    • Textiles - luxury, produced by Loom
    • Shell Beads - luxury, produced by Blombos Cave

Other Changes
    • Food is now Sustenance. I wanted something that would encompass Food and Medicine. I tried a few different words and Sustenance seemed to work the best.
    • City range reduced to 1.
    • Changes made related to Barbarian spawning
    • Jungles take 3 times as long to chop down. At Industrialization this gets adjusted back to normal. This is to reflect the history of deforestation. Forests are untouched.

Spoiler Alpha Version 2 (progress report) :
    New Wonders
    Cradle of Humankind: unlocked at Fire Mastery. The beginning of the tech tree needed another wonder.

New Buildings
    Long House - unlocked at Fermentation. Iroquois Longhouse is now Hodensote and replaces Long House.

New Techs (techs are Ancient era unless otherwise noted)
    Cartography
    Cavalry Tactics (Horseback Riding renamed)
    Celestial Mechanics (Early Modern era. Astronomy moved to Ancient era)
    Celestial Navigation
    Code of Laws
    The Crane
    Geometry
    Glassblowing
    Medicine
    Papermaking
    Plate Armor (Medieval era. Steel moved to Ancient era)
    Plumbing
    Sculpture
    Siege Warfare
    Urban Planning (Construction renamed)
    Water Power

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Dusk1500 and JNZS13 like this.
  2. Poruchiik

Poruchiik Chieftain

Just a few questions does this run any dlls, like Smart AI and the YnAEMP 43 dll?

3. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

There are no dll’s included in this mod yet. Either one of those that you mentioned should work unless they make changes to the tech tree. I don’t believe they do though.

4. Dusk1500

Dusk1500 Chieftain

Wow, Rise of Mankind and the mods it lead to like Caveman2Cosmos are very ambitious. I love this idea!

Definitely will follow this.

I'm curious if the Civilization 5 engine is capable of a large amount of features performance wise? Even on a great PC, I notice definite slowdowns late game while playing heavily modded Civ5. Civ4 seems to respond better to very large mods.

5. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

I've downloaded it and will give it a go. Would like to see you actively working on this mod again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019