Samurai Invasion of Korea

Big Bopper

Warlord
SAMURAI INVASION OF KOREA 1592-1598

The scenario is based on Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s attempt to conquer Choson Korea and Ming China in the late 16th century. This is meant to be a very difficult scenario to win and the player has a few disadvantages. Only Japan is playable and is in a locked war with Korea and China. Japan has to deal with war weariness and will be unable to build its units in Korea until a certain tech is researched. Japan has the best land units, but a weak navy and are the most expensive to build. Korea has the best naval units, but weak land units, and has an average build time. China's units are all around average and they are the cheapest to build. For about the first year (26 turns) of the scenario you will only fight the Koreans and afterwards the Chinese army will begin to arrive. Portugal is represented by several islands in the South-west, who you can trade with for luxuries.

Download

Biq: View attachment Samurai Invasion Biq.rar

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Samurai Invasion (Updated).rar
    9.9 MB · Views: 524
Definetely interested. Pretty tech tree. I'll give it a go when I get the time. :thumbsup:

But what's with the terrain?

Thanks Yoda Power, I really like how the tech tree ended up, I used the one from TW: Shogun II as a reference.

The terrain is General 666's Kyoto Terrain. I haven't use it before and wanted to try something different, plus I like the color green.:)

Big Bopper... Looks Very Dynamic with the Bold Green coloring!

The contrasting colors between the terrain and units make the units more distinct.

I see that the Samurai Warrior is Green and would tend to be visually more hidden on the Green Terrain. Do they have Stealth?

Congratulations on getting your challenging game Released :goodjob:

Congratulations on getting your challenging game Released :goodjob:
Thanks, Vuldacon. I got your pm about the transparency issue and I'll fixed this and make a few other changes in a patch in the next few days.
I see that the Samurai Warrior is Green and would tend to be visually more hidden on the Green Terrain.
I hadn't notice this before, I guess a color scheme change might be in order for the Japanese.

Do they have Stealth?
No, the Samurai does not have stealth; only the ninja does at this point. I think I'll add this ability to the foot archers, as of right now, there isn't much of a point to build them.

After playing through a couple games of the scenario, I noticed the Europeans were asking way to much for resources. I thought by adding the Spanish, it would help to lower the cost, but it didn't. I found out why the luxuries were so highly valued, but not the saltpeter. Does anyone know how the ai values strategic resources? Also, is there a way to lower the asking price of resources in the editor.

plays nice . ı spotted the first Chinese at turn 32 , gave up playing at 35 . Too much of an human wave . It took 9 ships of mine to sink one Korean , which is a challenge as well . Will restart again tonight . With preparing a bigger army at home . As for asking price the Portugese refused saltpeter in return for all the resources and luxuries ı had .

Big Bopper... Shield and Commerce values have some influence but the Units that can be built by having the needed resource greatly influences the AI.
...The Main influence for Strategic (or Luxury) Resource asking price is what the Resource will do for you. IF strong Units, Wonders or Improvements can be built by having a resource the AI will demand Far More for it or not trade it to you at all. The AI does not want to help you gain strength.
...There is no direct way in the Editor that I know of to have the AI lower the asking price of a Strategic Resource.

...You will probably have to find an alternate way to help the Human Player gain Saltpeter or other Needed Resources if the AI is basically not willing to trade them. You could, for example, place Saltpeter in an area that the Human Player has access to build a City or Colony.

Thanks for the info Vuldacon. I'm going to put a number in the 'Disappearance Probability' box, so you'll have a chance to have saltpeter appear in Japan during the game.

plays nice . ı spotted the first Chinese at turn 32 , gave up playing at 35 . Too much of an human wave . It took 9 ships of mine to sink one Korean , which is a challenge as well . Will restart again tonight . With preparing a bigger army at home . As for asking price the Portugese refused saltpeter in return for all the resources and luxuries ı had .
A cheat you can use to get saltpeter is to offer 1 gold a turn before you research 'Hojutsu' or 'Naval Expertise', so far this is the only way I've been able to build gunpowder units. You'll also want to edit the Samurai unit page so it doesn't upgrade to Arquebusier, this will be fixed in the update.

Hmmm. I'll have to borrow some stuff off this. ;)

ı have always been slow . Playing Monarch and now at turn 125 . Made it to Chinese border , building nothing else but about 15 to 20 Ashi... Spearmen and a whole lot of Mounted Samurai . Don't have Saltpeter unless ı take it from the Chinese and ı forgot to apply the cheat as offered when appropriate . Good fighting with 7 armies and a leader used to rush War council in Korea but ı think the Korean / Chinese naval superiority is wasted with the one turn Tsushima-Pusan run for junks . How about decreasing Japanese junks' speed to 5 so that every passage will be perilous instead of totally ignoring naval threats ? Or even more "fun" with 4 ?

ı have always been slow . Playing Monarch and now at turn 125 . Made it to Chinese border , building nothing else but about 15 to 20 Ashi... Spearmen and a whole lot of Mounted Samurai . Don't have Saltpeter unless ı take it from the Chinese and ı forgot to apply the cheat as offered when appropriate. Good fighting with 7 armies and a leader used to rush War council in Korea but ı think the Korean / Chinese naval superiority is wasted with the one turn Tsushima-Pusan run for junks . How about decreasing Japanese junks' speed to 5 so that every passage will be perilous instead of totally ignoring naval threats ? Or even more "fun" with 4 ?

Thanks for the feedback r16.

I'm thinking of ways to make other units more tempting to build in the next update, so your just not building the same two units throughout the scenario. I'm adding stealth to the foot archers and probably will take away the additional hit point for the foot archers and mounted units.

I've found the armies to be too powerful in defending the 38th parallel while taking the remainder of S. Korea, so I'm going to reduce the number of units in an army to 1 and add 4 or 5 HPs to it. Also I might make the Japanese 'Agricultural' instead of 'Militaristic' to slow down the amount of leaders that are created.

That's a good idea about reducing the cargo junk speed to 4, since you did only need to have them out in the sea for only one turn when picking up units from Japan.

Kyriakos said:
Looks excellent, Big Bopper

Particularly the cities

I like the terrain too.
Thanks, Kyriakos, Your cities look great in this scenario and fit the terrain, I especially like the ancient Chinese (Korean) cities.

Takhisis said:
Hmmm. I'll have to borrow some stuff off this.
I hope some of these ideas help with your scenario, definitely looking forward to it.

Well, I plan to have a fine line where the Koreans can hold a player off if he tries to get richer/more powerful by invading Korea, so I'll probably take a few dieas off your own scenario. :)

Changes in this update
1. Spain has been removed and the Righteous Army has been added.
-The Righteous Army has better units than the Koreans, but fewer cities means there will be less of them.
2. Portugal has been given 5 additional cities; making it easier to trade.
3. It is no longer required to trade for saltpeter; it has been placed throughout the map.
4. Unit stats have been modified, so there will be a reason to build more than the same two units; e.g. Foot Archers now have the stealth ability; Samurai Warriors are stronger than Mounted Samurai
5. Added unit producing buildings; e.g. the Master Gunsmith produces an Arquebusier every 15 turns.
6. Added/Removed cities, the most important being, that Tsushima has been removed as a city.
7. Armies have been limited to one unit, but now receive an additional 5 hit points
8. Several other minor details have also been changed.

Attachments

• Master Gunsmith.jpg
    Master Gunsmith.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Foreign Advisor.jpg
    Foreign Advisor.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 268
Top Bottom