1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scandinavian Expansion for VD - Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by NikNaks, Oct 7, 2009.

1. NikNaks

NikNaks Chieftain

So, the idea cropped up for a Viking expansion similar to the one I made for the Native Americans, and I thought it was good, especially as I need something to work on whilst World 2009 is at a roadblock.

Now, I'd like some ideas. Anything is good, provided it's not stupid or bizarre, so serious suggestions are best. As with the Native pack, I'm looking to have a core pack of 2 or 3, then an expanded one of up to 6, so if you've got any ideas, or have anything you'd like to see, I'm all ears :)

2. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

Well what civs would be in it?

I guess Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Lappland, Vikings, perhaps even Gotland and Estonia? What about Normans? And a longshot, but Ingria?

3. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Well, I think you should go with Norway, Denmark and Sweden as the base civs. And then expland it to include the Normans and Saxons. I think that's the best way to do it. Finland and Estonia are not in Scandinavia.

4. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

This.

5. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

They are Scandinavian by culture though.

6. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

So are people from Minnesota, should we put them in there too?

7. NikNaks

NikNaks Chieftain

Just so it's not lost, a repost of 702's suggestions:
    RE: The debate

As a Brit, I've always been brought up with the idea that Finland is part of Scandinavia, whether or not that's right, so perhaps having it as an optional extra would be the best bet. I really like the idea of using the Normans and Saxons, as well. I think we have our six.

8. Androrc the Orc

They don't speak a Scandinavian language though... and have their own culture. It's more like they are very closely associated with Scandinavia because Sweden ruled it for so long.

9. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

Their leader can be:
    Spoiler :

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

If the Normans and Saxon's, why not the Burgundians?

They emigrated from Scandinavia to Gotland than from Gotland to continental Europe. They were a very important player in European history

11. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Well, I wouldn't really call the Burgundians Scandinavian. Honestly its best to try and keep the quality up rather than throw in loosely Scandinavian civilizations. A Burgundian civ would be cool, as would a Finnish civ, but I don't think they really fit in this context.

I have a fully flavored Finnish civ coming up as a module for my new mod anyway, so if you really want one you could just rip things out of that. It even has a different UU than normal Finnish civs have, the Hakkapeliitta.

12. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

While above is true, I still think that I'm scandinavian... I think better wording would be 'Nordic countries' or 'Nordic region' so you'd get Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland for your expansion.

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

I think Iceland, Faroese, Shetlands, Greenland are all covered in Vikings.

As for Burgundy, I guess I can see your point, the kings of Burgundy were not even Germanic, if anything, the name just stuck from like 1 true Burgundian king, and a few thousand settlers from Gotland.

I agrree with the Nordic Region instead of Scandinavia. You should include Finland.

14. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

Also, there is a Einar Gerhardsson leaderhead being made. He restored Norway after WWII. Just wanted you guys to know.

15. 702

702 Chieftain

Denmark, Sweden and Norway as the base three definitely.

As a fellow Brit I also feel that Finland is "Scandinavian", but then I also know the Finns are a different people, with a very different language from Sweden, Norway, etc...
    However I agree with you that Finland could be one of the extras, and also maybe even Estonia as has been suggested, and perhaps call it a more generic name, like Nordic or North European.

Normandy and Saxony... Normandy perhaps, but is it really big enough to be a civ? Saxony I know nothing about tbh...
    Iceland, much as I love the place, I can't really see it as a seperate civ, it's just far too small (population wise) and is of very little significance in civ terms, even regionally.

16. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

I just remembered a group of people that we have missed. - The Goths.

Also, are you going to update the Vikings with some new candy? Perhaps add in Canute.

17. Androrc the Orc

About the Goths, I think the mod should be kept about peoples that remained in Scandinavia, as it was a true "factory of nations" during the ancient era, and during the middle ages the vikings conquered several countries, such as England and Sicily; and thus, it would be a seriously immense amount of work if one was to make a mod that contained all the civilizations that originated in Scandinavia.

That having been said, the Goths are one of my favorite civilizations out there, and they have a more important connection to Scandinavia than most Germanic tribes of their time. Maybe after the Danish, Swedish, etc. elements of the Scandinavian expansion get done, the Goths could be worked upon, so as to not lose project focus by working on too many things at a time?

18. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Maybe include the Normans?

They did a fair bit of conquering (Normandy + Britain) and laid the foundation for future British domination of France until Jean d'arc. Leader would obviously be William the Conqueror.

19. Allan79

Allan79 Chieftain

I just fell like have to put in a word or two here.

As being Danish I have to say that I absolutely don't see Finland as a part of Scandinavia. (sorry zappara) To me its just Denmark(Danmark) Norway(Norge) and Sweden(Sverige) that are the Scandinavian countries.

20. NikNaks

NikNaks Chieftain

Sweet, this is giving me a whole host of ideas. Thanks guys!

Next question. Should these civs replace the Vikings, or go alongside? Are the Vikings considered distinct enough to warrant their own civ alongside? Discuss. :)