SCOTUS - Supreme Court of the United States

I though it was a 7-2 ruling, maybe my are confusion me?

I just want to draw attention for a moment to the absolute brilliance of this sentence.

And muddying everything is their complete preoccupation with building a nation on a foundation of slavery. While the EC did have a nominal secondary function as a backstop against demagogues, the main reason for its existence was to uphold slave-state power. We have a modern re-interpretation of that as a power-balance of small states against large states but the main power-balance intended was slaveowners against freestaters.

Very much so.
Actually recently read this great piece on Roger Sherman, an unsung villain of the original Constitution, that touches on a lot of these notes.

https://thebaffler.com/latest/tear-down-this-statue-kreitner

Sherman was largely responsible for the two-house structure of Congress, as well as the provision that the equal representation of states in the Senate cannot be amended except by unanimous consent of all the states.

Up to now, Northerners and other Americans without personal connection to the antebellum South have largely luxuriated in the assumption that they have nothing to apologize for and no heroes in need of reconsideration. But perpetuating the Union on the basis of slavery, right up until the Civil War, was a national project that enjoyed, but for a few scattered abolitionists, national support. Similarly, much of the federal government’s current paralysis is directly the fault of the Constitution’s enshrinement of colonial-era divisions and states’-rights ideology in the structure of our governing institutions. Taking Sherman off his Capitol Hill pedestal would mark a worthy beginning, but one that is ultimately symbolic. Of far greater substance and significance would be doing away with that even more prominent monument to the founders’ fetish for compromise and corrupt bargains: the Senate of the United States.

John Robert's logic and reasoning in the recent Louisiana abortion case was just used to uphold an extreme abortion restriction in Arkansas by a federal appeals court. Many progressive court watchers had predicted exactly this outcome even as everyone cooed over how amazeballs Roberts is for not outright overturning Roe v Wade and how much 'he cares about the institution of the court'.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/politics/abortion-arkansas-john-roberts/index.html

It's important to remember that when Roberts blocked Trump's census questions, he didn't say, 'racist questions are bad', he effectively said, 'your questions are bad because they look racist'. There's a huge difference there, and his Louisiana abortion ruling amounted to much the same. The Trump administration now has the legal grounds to work around the census question ruling (if not the time), just as right-wing politicians can (and have!) now worked around the Louisiana ruling.

Last edited:
After firmly establishing under Obama that the President could not appoint a Justice during an election year, rather "the people must decide." Captain of the Titanic: "Damn the Icebergs! Full speed ahead!" :crazyeye:
I suspect the Kavanaugh hearings burned off any residual consideration that the Garland fiasco generated. Republicans are fully justified to believe some comeuppance is owed.

Oddly enough, "RBG Dies" was the center square on my Apocalypse Bingo card. All I need now is "meteor swam."
Great band name.

J

I suspect the Kavanaugh hearings burned off any residual consideration that the Garland fiasco generated. Republicans are fully justified to believe some comeuppance is owed.
You mean the time that a prospective Supreme Court Justice yelled at Senators during his prepared opening statement that Dr Ford's allegations were part of a Clinton conspiracy?

Polls on that one?
Couldn't find any polls specifically about her Kavanaugh vote. She's down ~5 points to Gideon some polls have a higher spread. Biden's whomping Trump in Maine, something like 55% to 38%. That can't be helping her.

onejayhawk said:

Ajidica High Quality Person said:
You mean the time that a prospective Supreme Court Justice yelled at Senators during his prepared opening statement that Dr Ford's allegations were part of a Clinton conspiracy?

Am viewing it now, nearly 2/3rds through and haven't seen any yelling yet?

Maybe you were referring to this:

Last edited:
Does she care about reelection though? Of if she's doomed anyway.

How many Senate seats are looking good for Dems?

She's down. She's not doomed. If a Trump nominee came up for confirmation it would put a stake through her heart no matter which way she voted. That's the issue, and it is the reason McConnell will never let this get to the floor before the election...just like literally everything else facing the senate. If the senate GOP version of extending covid relief comes to the floor a vote for it as it stands alienates every person in Maine that is not a Trumpist because it basically says "die schmucks, but take satisfaction that there will be less death in the really red states" and that gets her crushed. However a vote against it alienates the Trumpists and there are enough of them in Maine that she's done for there too. No McConnell has the senate floor locked down. They aren't doing ANYTHING before the election.

As to the outlook...odds of flipping the Senate to a slim Dem majority seem pretty good. They are losing Alabama, but Colorado, Arizona, and Maine are looking pretty solid. Iowa and North Carolina follow in a strong Biden win and if one of them comes along that is enough with a Biden win for the flip. Nontana and one Georgia seat are also prospective gains but less likely.

Just for the record Cunningham is actually running ahead of Biden in NC but your point stands. Biden in general seems to be running slightly behind most Senate candidates. This is more something for the election thread anyway.

Just for the record Cunningham is actually running ahead of Biden in NC but your point stands. Biden in general seems to be running slightly behind most Senate candidates. This is more something for the election thread anyway.

Yeah...a strong Biden win and he carries NC which flips Cunningham in for sure...a weak Biden win he doesn't carry Carolina but maybe comes close enough and the seat still flips.

So, I guess that makes Biden either a Major or Blair - an interim government that somehow lasted seven years coupled to economic malaise and social stagnation, or a delusional liar surrounded by fawners and bullies. Not a great choice if we are trying to rhyme.

Joe Biden won't last 7 years as POTUS.

I see him more as a short term interim like: Konstantin Chernenko

Conservatives ITT being openly happy about the further impending loss and encroachment of fundamental, basic rights.

Hilary was terrible remember.

I think everyone knew Trump was going to be crap but an outright disaster is in the making.

Top Bottom