1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Screen freezes/stutters when you select idle builders in late game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by GeraltLee, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I get it as well and it’s terrible. I also use terra mirrabilis too so possibly a reason

2. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Mods can definitely cause lag issues. I used a mod for an improved build queue but it caused the whole game to lag, not just builders. I removed it and the game runs a lot smoother. It's kind of a shame I either have to put up with lag or a crappy build queue.

I haven't noticed the builder lag or lag of any kind since I removed that mod.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

4. Bob the Bruce

Bob the Bruce Chieftain

For me, the problem was caused by Terra Mirabilis turning itself on after being marked as compatible with Gathering Storm. I wish mods wouldn't automatically activate this way but oh well. See if that mod is the culprit for your problem.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  5. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

If this is the case, how would we fix it? We're not doing anything with custom Lua in TM. Shouldn't the caching be built in? TM just uses the Modifiers system the same as the base game.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. Deliverator

And why would Terra Mirabilis NWs start causing a lag with Gathering Storm and not before?

Infixo likes this.
  7. Deliverator

Can anyone who gets the lag issue should give as much information as they can about their game? Posting a savegame file might help too.

8. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Hm, so is it caused by mods? From the posts in this thread it seems like it is, but the first post mentions that it shouldn't.

Btw, I've never used any mod in Civ6 and I don't have this bug.

9. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Usually happens around turn 150 and when I have a lot of cities built up with infrastructure. Early game there’s nothing, but when it hits it hits in 1 turn, as in it’s not progressive. One turn no lag and then the next there’s a lot. My games also progress faster because I use a lot of other mods as well

10. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I ran into this issue for the first time yesterday evening. I almost posted yesterday that I didn't have the problem, glad I didn't, as it started happening last night.

Huge map, epic speed, builder lag started around turn 220, roughly 90% of the map explored, renaissance era. Have YnAMP enabled, but using the base game huge island plates map. Also using Terra Mirabellis.

My earlier GS games were on smaller maps without these mods and had no trouble, so I can't help distinguish between mods and map size as the source.

11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Have you played into the industrial era on a huge map?

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

If it's triggered by changes to the modifiers system in the core side, we can't to anything without the source code.

All we can do is trying to pinpoint the issue, for that some saves with the problem would help, I'm surprised nobody posted one already.

Infixo likes this.
  13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

This has been happening in all my games recently starting in renaissance to industrial, but I figured it was my computer or just the nature of the game. I used to use Terra Mirabilis but removed it a week or two ago.

14. Deliverator

First report of this issue on the Terra Mirabilis comments was on the 8th March - one week ago. We did release an update the previous day.

15. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

My guess is that Terra Mirabilis is causing this in some way, and that perhaps whatever it changes is sticking around after being disabled. Is that possible?

Perhaps it would be prudent for somebody who is getting this issue using TM to try fully uninstalling the game instead of simply disabling/unsubscribing to the mod to see if it sticks around.

16. Franz69

Franz69 Chieftain

I am also getting this kind of lags in the late game.
    I use terra mirabilis but don't have ynamp.

17. fandan

fandan Chieftain

I have observed lag in my experience with GS that I initially chalked up to my PC or installation. I posted about it in the Technical Support forum. I also opened a ticket with 2K Support that hasn't gone anywhere.

I've conducted a number of tests trying to determine a cause in hopes of resolving these issues. One of my tests included mod use. My use of mods is limited to QoL UI mods (Simplified Gossip, Surkitact's Civ Selection Screen, Surkitact's Simple UI Adjs, and Better Report Screen). None were the cause of the lag/slowdown.

I also tried to determine if workers were the cause, however I couldn't be certain in a conclusive way. I did my testing on Duel sized maps with minimal AI civs/CSes, and different starting eras. The point was to see if the lag would occur in game while I did things outside of the game (uninstall/reinstall files, validate files, update drivers, remove drivers, graphics settings, process priority, mods enabled/disabled, etc.), and the lag occurred without fail.

I thought I would pitch in here as I'm 99% certain the lag I was observing was due to the game itself, and not mods, my hardware, Win 10 updates, or other factors.

Meluhhan, Deliverator and WillowBrook like this.
  18. racha

racha Warlord

I have plenty of builder lag with Terra Mirabilis disabled. In my last game, I enabled it and disabled all of Sukritact's natural wonders and didn't experience the lag, though I was also playing on an archipelago map (I almost always play on a huge pangea).

19. SirWill90

SirWill90 Warlord

I don't know if I would characterize what is happening to my games as builder lag, but starting in classical era, even trying to change policy cards there's a hang up where I can click on the cards but can't move them for instance, or when I try to issue commands to builders, same thing, also can't click on the "issue orders" or whatever button in the lower right corner, just a general hang up and extreme delay in every action of the game where I can't do anything other than move around the map and look at things for 15 seconds at least.

I am not using any mods, and restarting not just the game but my computer doesn't seem to stop this happening. Never happened until the last day or two. Been playing more GS last few days and I recently started using huge maps also, maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit: After starting a new game on Large, same thing is happening. Classical era, epic speed, no mods, starts with just not being able to quickly click on units or any action icon, then gets to a point where the whole game is basically locked up. I just got up and walked away after waiting 30 seconds or so for it to come back.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  20. zazazuzu

zazazuzu Warlord

Great to see so many responses reporting similar issues, although interestingly none seem to be quite like mine.
    Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed everybody would automatically know what I was talking about, the problem isn't that ubiquitous.
    Ok: Around the same turn number that others have mentioned, something like 150 or thereabouts my builders start getting 'sticky'. A noticeable lag starts creeping when selecting them and moving them to perform tasks. Then the lag continues getting worse and worse until the game simply becomes unplayable.
    For me at least, this lag only affects the builders. All other units and elements of the game remain unaffected. If there was no need to use builders, I could continue playing with no problems.

I've started a new game with Terra Mirabilis disabled. So far there are no problems, but the current turn is only in the low 90s, so it could still very well pop up. I'll report back either way.