Screenshot analysis!

It's interesting that there are also "Inquisitor" units, since Apostles have the ability to launch inquisitions. Either they are trained at the 3rd Holy Site building (Cathedral, Mosque, etc.) or... is it possible that "Inquisitors" are the unique Spanish unit???

EDIT: I guess we know Conquistadors are already a Spanish UU, but it could be that it has 2. Definitely could be part of Philip II's ability.

Maybe you're right. I didn't expect that.

My assumption was that inquisitors were still a common unit, and apostles were simply a better, all around religious unit - missionaries can spread, inquisitors can do inquisitions, but apostles could do both and enhance religions, possibly something else too since there was another icon on their bar. That said, that's just my assumption and if apostles are the next unit after missionaries it doesn't hold much water. But I'd kinda be surprised if, in a game where they added a religious victory and theological combat, we've only got two common religious units.

I watched the Sunday gamescom stream (https://www.twitch.tv/2k/v/84837628). The player was StealthyShampoo--a Twitch caster and Evolve pro-player. He hasn't played Civ before so it from a new player perspective. He started getting a better understanding of mechanics about halfway through when Dino became his partner and the chat answered more of their questions.

He played Japan but it was a different game than the one the PR person played yesterday. The broadcast started at turn 26 (@ 1:01:55) and ended at 59 (@ 02:45:37).

@ 01:23:05 - Dead Sea natural wonder found (I posted in the Wonder thread along with TRO)
@ 01:25:56 - Better view of Dead Sea without the sun's reflection
@ 01:49:51 - [off camera] "I imagine the Civ fanatics, like the big Civ fanatics, are so frustrated with everything you're doing"
@ 02:01:34 - Harvested two wheat in a row. The first one was next to city so would have been better to farm, while the second was under Kyoto as they had settled on it. Kyoto went from 3 pop with 1 turn more (+47 food) to 4 pop with 5 turns more (+47 food) to 5 pop with 1 turn more. The first time you try to harvest they might want to add a tutorial tooltip to warn you it will disappear and farming is an alternative.
@ 02:15:26 - Naval promotion on galley - I Embolon (+7 Attack vs Naval units), I Helmsman (+1 movement)

Spoiler :
naval_promotion.PNG

@ 02:16:43 - Trade unit appeared from a goody hut. They could not create any trade routes as all known city-states were out of range (and hadn't met any civs yet). Some adjustments to the UI like saying no trade routes available (instead of just an empty list under All) or a tutorial alert may help with the confusion they displayed.
@ 02:18:12 - Moused over a player icon in the Domination section of the Overall page. Then clicked through the Score, Science, Culture and Domination ranking tabs.

• Science - To achieve a SCIENCE victory, you must accomplish 3 major milestones:
    • Launch a satellite.
    • Land a human on the Moon.
    • Establish a Martian Colony.
  • Culture - To achieve a CULTURE victory, you must attract more VISITING TOURISTS to your civilization than any other civilization has DOMESTIC TOURISTS at home.
  • Domination - To achieve a DOMINATION victory, you must conquer the Capital of every other civilization.

Spoiler :

victory_domination_tip.PNG
victory_domination.PNG
victory_science.PNG
victory_cultural.jpg

My assumption was that inquisitors were still a common unit, and apostles were simply a better, all around religious unit - missionaries can spread, inquisitors can do inquisitions, but apostles could do both and enhance religions, possibly something else too since there was another icon on their bar. That said, that's just my assumption and if apostles are the next unit after missionaries it doesn't hold much water. But I'd kinda be surprised if, in a game where they added a religious victory and theological combat, we've only got two common religious units.

That other icon, the diamond in the chevron, is the same icon that the Great Generals and Great Admirals have to signify their radial combat bonus. Figure the Apostles do a similar thing for Theological Combat. I posted a link in this very thread with the new Great People icons but in my experience nobody ever clicks on the links. The new Diplomatic policy card from a few weeks ago still isn't on Arioch's site so idk.

Boooooooooo. "Capture all the capitals" is extremely lame. :(

I like it more than "eh, get some percent of landmass and you win"

Its a clear goal, it clearly demonstrates military domination, it avoids tedium, its easy to explain, and it feels good when you get it (as opposed to "oh hey I happened to get that last percent this turn...guess I won")

Its a clear goal, it clearly demonstrates military domination, it avoids tedium, its easy to explain, and it feels good when you get it (as opposed to "oh hey I happened to get that last percent this turn...guess I won")
It also means you have to eventually attack your allies, which is silly. Even the nastiest conquerors in history had friends.

It wasn't a huge deal in Civ V (because it's virtually impossible to keep friends), but I was hoping for more diplomatic possibilities in Civ V.

There is a small chance that might not be the final domination victory setting (it is the Civ 5 one). That page has not yet been shown in any of the Firaxis-led streams. They did show off the score and religion ones in the demo being used at gamescom. The build that was used to play at gamescom and the 150-turn events had no "Religion" tab on that screen unlike the build that Ed Beach used this week.

Another possible reason they switched to that victory condition in Civ 5 was for multiplayer. I don't play multiplayer so don't know if it is better than the type that was in Civ 4 (Lead in world population by 30% and have 65% of the world under your control) but seems like would lead to shorter games.

I just compared two screenshots I had for the Score Victory. One is from today's stream while the other is from the gamescom demo reel Ed's with the Religion tab. The have tweaked the first sentence.

gamescom stream - max is 151 turns:
A SCORE victory occurs when no civilization has achieved a victory after a certain number of turns have passed. In this case, the civilization with the overall highest SCORE will win!

IGN video interview at gamescom with demo footage from multiple builds Firaxis stream (Germans) - max is 500 turns:
A SCORE victory occurs when no civilization has achieved any other victory by the end of the game. In this case, the civilization with the overall highest SCORE will win!

Spoiler :

victory_score_2.PNG
victory_score_3.PNG

It also means you have to eventually attack your allies, which is silly. Even the nastiest conquerors in history had friends.

It wasn't a huge deal in Civ V (because it's virtually impossible to keep friends), but I was hoping for more diplomatic possibilities in Civ V.

If you want to be remembered for all time as the Civilization that clearly dominated the whole world, attacking your allies does not seem silly to me at all.

If you want to keep friends, then just conquer enough to win the game through any other victory condition. Its only an obvious, world-crushing victory if you prove domination over all others.

If you want to keep friends, then just conquer enough to win the game through any other victory condition. Its only an obvious, world-crushing victory if you prove domination over all others.

At least the way I play, it seems once I reach that point, it is always faster to kill the other civs than trying get to a science or culture victory. Could sometimes have a diplomatic victory instead if extended 20-30 turns, but that option won't be available in Civ 6.

At least the way I play, it seems once I reach that point, it is always faster to kill the other civs than trying get to a science or culture victory. Could sometimes have a diplomatic victory instead if extended 20-30 turns, but that option won't be available in Civ 6.

Yep, probably would be faster to conquer them. Makes flavorful sense too.

But sometimes you only need to be as strong as 2 Civs to win the game, if you're sure everyone else is only as strong as 1. But if you get to 40% of the world, you can probably just snipe the capitals and win. That's basically the percent domination, but less tedious and feels more significant.

[*]Culture - To achieve a CULTURE victory, you must attract more VISITING TOURISTS to your civilization than any other civilization has DOMESTIC TOURISTS at home.

"Visiting tourists"? So, someone from Kansas who goes to see the Statue of Liberty isn't "visiting" because he hasn't left his home country? What, is the word "foreign" too touchy for them? Yeesh.

Still, the culture victory in BNW was my all-time favorite victory mechanic from the Civ series. I look forward to seeing how the "domestic tourists" thing works and whether there's more to drawing "visiting tourists" than generating and curating Great Works. I'm excited for this.

Boooooooooo. "Capture all the capitals" is extremely lame. :(

I do like the Martian Colony instead of an Alpha Centauri mission. That was always more fantasy than science fiction (for a game ending in 2050).
What about raze X number of cities/pop instead?

I agree with this. I play with some mods in Civ5 that actually makes the AI more sane, but that also means it's super frustrating if I play a domination game and there are actually AI's that have been friends with me entire game, and I just have to DoW them if I want to finish the game. Usually I just abandon the game at the point where there are only me and my friends left (or snag a different victory type).

The nastiest conquerers in history didn't "win" (or their "friends" count as cs vassals)

For WW II Germany to win a true conquest victory they would have to conquer Japan as well (their european allies would count as cs vassals) same for America/England/Russia)....that seems just fine.

Now if you are a massive conqueror that wants friends, just take your winnings and use it for another victory.

Of course, that's still not being a friend, abandoning them not sharing tech...or dominating their culture/religion...to have true "friends" they need to have a shared victory.
Otherwise, it is important in a strategy victory that you beat everyone.

It looks like roads are automatically placed in district tiles. I feel this is a fairly significant thing since enemy units can use your roads now.

True, they are even bridges to connect districts over rivers. I also like the addition of groups of small house as "fillers" in the gaps between districts, it makes the city more living.

Not sure if this was posted, but they have re-balanced Oracle. It gives 2 GPP points instead of one, but only with respective district.

Edit: Oh and we have some settler news! Settler reduces city pop.

Attachments

• Oracle.png
    Oracle.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Settler.png
    Settler.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 253
but apostles could do both and enhance religions, possibly something else too since there was another icon on their bar.

Can't they create relics by sacrificing themselves?

If you want to be remembered for all time as the Civilization that clearly dominated the whole world, attacking your allies does not seem silly to me at all.

I get it, though that sounds more like a victory condition for a Civilization of apes. Kill Kill Kill. Me no culture. Me kill.

Seems to me having a deft hand at diplomacy and executing the well timed attack is more interesting.

Not sure if this was posted, but they have re-balanced Oracle. It gives 2 GPP points instead of one, but only with respective district.

Makes sense. Plays better into the city specialization concept, too. I hope more Wonders tie into specific districts in the city.

Top Bottom