Second Revolution 2.0 (for Warlords)

make sure you get the new patch!

i plan on new regions like south america and old Asia. i just have to let real life quiet down a bit and spend some 10 hour days writing it. ;)

Here's my two cents.

Good mod, but it has some problems. In my opinion, the power of some units (or lack thereof) is ridiculous. It's realistic for the rebels to have obsolete vehicles, yes, but they shouldn't be so obsolete that their vehicles are less powerful than their main INFANTRY units, and still more of a hassle to make.

Also, I think the cavalry bit is kinda futile. It makes sense that survivalists and the Canadians would have cavalry, but remember that these are "modern" cavalry. They shouldn't be as weak as the default cavalry in Civ4. They may be riding old-school horses, but that doesn't mean they can't carry modern guns. There's no reason they wouldn't, in fact.

It also does not make sense that both sides have protesters, but only one side has the cops. Also, the cops should not be nearly as powerful. I don't buy that someone can smash up an AFV, even an obsolete one, with their nightstick. Sorry, but I really don't. :crazyeye:

Hugo Chavez should be in this game. He'd definitely join this sort of war to get at Bush. If you can't expand the map to accomodate that, I understand, but at least add a Venezuelan Support wonder.

And while we're on the subject of support, I think it might not be a bad idea to have the support guys give you strategic resources, or even troops. One thing I constantly ran into was the fact that I made tons of money, but it was utterly useless for my goals, when I did not have oil or aluminum. In my opinion, with so much of America's infrastructure being bombed, foreign support would include resources to compensate. I don't think it would screw up balance, either, since every side can still build the wonders.

Garret, first of all, the good feedback! This is an incredible idea for a mod, and it takes cajones to tackle an issue like this. It's a great 'what if...' scenario and I loved the feeling of utter hopelessness during the first few turns as Cuba.

Unfortunately there's a long way to go before this is a playable mod (for me) and here's what I found...

Multiplayer
I played against a friend via Direct IP connection but it went out of sync as soon as the game loaded. I disconnected and reconnected, and it was fine until almost the end of the first turn, at which point it went out of sync again. I disconnected and reconnected again, and it went out of sync.

We did play for a few turns in the 'out of sync' state, but quickly realised that we were playing different versions of the same game; I had captured a lot of Florida in my game, while he had nuked the living daylights out of me in his. I did disconnect and reconnect again after that, but it got stuck on 'finishing' with a black screen and wouldn't go further, so we gave up at that point.

Fair enough, I haven't read anywhere that you intended this to be compatible with multiplayer, but I have a distinct feeling that whatever is causing these multiplayer problems is very minor, and although it might be tricky to track down the exact problem, it would be well worth your time, because I think a full-blown six-player game with no AI would be absolutely awesome!

SU-18 Aircraft
Is that the right name? I know it has 'SU' in the name. It has the propeller engine noise rather than the jet noise, and I'm pretty sure it's a jet aircraft. That's an easy fix. :)

Initial city builds
I have a real problem with the fact that the cities aren't building anything to begin with. At first I thought that was a mod feature and that nothing could be built! Besides, it takes forever during the first turn to go through and set each city building something. My suggestion is to have each city begin by building something appropriate. If you don't like that idea, at least make it pop up the "what would you like to build in this city?" window for every city on the first turn.

AI politics
I know this has been mentioned by others, but the AI grasp of the political situation is paramount to the success of such a politically-motivated mod. It's far too easy to declare peace. I think it could work if the 2 'teams' are locked into a war permanently, although this will change the game slightly in that there will be no motivation to try for peace since none would be possible. I think that the AIs should have a definite idea of what they want out of the situation, and somehow determine their strategies and allies based on the best way of getting that. Possibly the toughest issue you have to contend with.

Too long!
I know I'm in the minority here, but I simply don't enjoy playing games that last days and micro-managing everything. I prefer to play a game for 3-4 hours from start to finish. Unfortunately your mod takes a very long time for even 1 turn! My suggestion is that you have a 'quick mode' - a totally different, much smaller map, with less cities on it, and less units in place, and locked on 'quick' speed. Although this would take extra balancing, it wouldn't take too much to get right, and would be well worth it to please the people who lack commitment, like me. :lol:

Keep up the great work on this mod and I really hope you get some of these improvements in place so everyone can enjoy it better!

Lol, I gotta say I'm 100% for long, complex games!

fw190a8 said:
Garret, first of all, the good feedback! This is an incredible idea for a mod, and it takes cajones to tackle an issue like this. It's a great 'what if...' scenario and I loved the feeling of utter hopelessness during the first few turns as Cuba.

Unfortunately there's a long way to go before this is a playable mod (for me) and here's what I found...

Thank you for you interest and your review.

Multiplayer:
Please give it another try! delete both installations, reinstall and only install the latest patch! Make sure both computers have Warlords 2.0.8.0 and Second Revolution 2_1.5

SU-18
The SU part is right, but i dont think the number should be "18"

Initial city builds:
I had left that intentionally blank, as to encourage the player to devise an early strategy.

AI politics:
I have begun to address this issue with the latest patch (gave the AI's more "personality"). I didnt feel the need to lock wars, so that some players could try for a peaceful ideological or diplomatic victory. Trust me, you can keep those wars raging if you really want to ;)

Too Long:
Well, if you have played the first Second Revolution for Vanilla Civ4, you would have been more upset. This newer version's (2.0) map is 20% smaller than the first version, to help address load time issues. I had played with the idea of a very small map, during the pre-alpha of 2.0, but i never got around to making it.

hi Garret
Thx for the new patch!
However i want to tell u few things:
1º Why can't the workers build railroads?
2º with all the nukes... global warming is constantly rising... a suggestion could be that workers could terraformate the land? u know... dessers become plains... this to grass... for example...
3º I've been playing with Rebel and Cuba.. and both of the ideologies units works when they have to spread the ideology... However i'm playing with america right now and i can't spread neoliberal ideology... could u check it?
Thx!

I just want to express my thanks to the creator of this mod - it's the best I've played so far. Great concept, great units, balanced combat, great soundtrack, (!) great scenario!!! :goodjob: Must have taken quite alot of work, and the result is fantastic. It's people like you that keep Civ4 interesting.

To make a game that is both entertaining and also meaningful is my goal. I hope to one day make games like this for a living, but that is just my dream.

I have about three different projects going on at the moment, as well as raising my 11 month old, so the progress is slow. I sure could use all the help i can get with the second revolution: south america mod

Damn.... Now I have to go out and get WARLORDS, :evil:. Gotta try the Revised Zapatista's as I love the HK G3 they're using :) . Hmmmm Zapatista's controlling Canada... Oh what a concept:lol: !!!!

oops i needed to update the main post! its done now

btw, i wanted to thank all of the people who have downloaded my mod (hopefully it didnt crash on you either!)

i would love to hear ideas for 3.0 2nd rev! i would also like the hear of some cool moments you had while playing

This would be a great Iraq war mod. Playable factions would be Sunnis Shiites Kurds Iraqi Sec Force Britain and Iran. A mod like that would show the complexities of modern day warfare as there are no "Axis and Allies" but many shade of grey. I love the concept of the Revolutions keep it up your definately on to something

that particular theatre of war will be portrayed in my Pan Eurasian version. this version will be started around the same time that 3.0 version comes out. and will run on its build. all i can say is there will be a fully fledged event system and possibly even in game movies.

Top Bottom