Semi-Finals: Germany vs. Italy

Why all the statistic freaks are fast to point out that Germany has never won against Italy during the World Cup, or that they lost the last match 1:4, I say -

that don't mean a thing now.

The German team has constantly improved during this WC, and has at least as good a chance to go through as Italy. Of course it will be a tough match, but I'm confident the schwarz-rot-geile party will go on. :goodjob:

ok, you are right 1958 as well, I thought they went out in the 3/4 final there. What 1934? really...so we were both wrong

In my opinion, Italy has a slightly better team and are slight favourites for this game. There were moments against Argentina when Germany seemed to have hitted what it can objectively give, but if Italy plays to the potential it has, maybe that's not enough. Otoh, this a semifinal, one game only, in Germany, so anything can happen. I think it will depend a lot on what the likes of Totti, Pirlo or Camoranesi do. So far they haven't been very impressive, so Italy becomes a team that inferior squads like USA or Australia can beat. If they improve against Germany that's going to be tougher, because Germany plays with just one defensive midfielder, Frings, and even with the help of Ballack or Schweinsteiger and Schneider drifting inside to cover the space, that may be a little too short.
Maybe Germany should play Borowski in this game instead of Schneider or Schweini. That would, imho, increase the defensive pressure without loosing in the offense...

The ref for this match will be Benito Archundia (Mexico). Does anyone remember his games?

Switzerland - Ukraine
Italy - Czech Republic
France - South Korea
Brazil - Croatia

The FIFA is investigating Frings' role in that fight after the match. He might well be out of the tournament.

I'm predicting a win for Germany, but after the penatly shoot-out. Everyone here is already dreaming of a Germany-France for the final. :p

Kan' Sharuminar said:
The Franco-Prussian War of 2006!
No. Our revenge over the nightmare of Sevilla, Spain (1982). Older people here are eager to avenge Battiston, and I must say, having watched images and a documentary about that match, that I really share their feelings. :mad: No better place in the world to get our revenge than in Berlin, so please, Italians, get out ! ;)

kryszcztov said:
No. Our revenge over the nightmare of Sevilla, Spain (1982). Older people here are eager to avenge Battiston, and I must say, having watched images and a documentary about that match, that I really share their feelings. :mad: No better place in the world to get our revenge than in Berlin, so please, Italians, get out ! ;)

Hehe, that was unlucky. I really hope it comes to these two teams, I think it'll be a grand match.

(I'm wanting Germany to win though :mischief: )

kryszcztov said:
:rolleyes: I never understood why people make a fuss over things they haven't experienced themselves. People here talk about revenge for 1970 or 82 (losses against Italy), but really, who cares?

kronic said:
:rolleyes: I never understood why people make a fuss over things they haven't experienced themselves. People here talk about revenge for 1970 or 82 (losses against Italy), but really, who cares?
You're right on a personal level. Heck, in 1990, when Germany played Argentina in the final, I was even rooting for Germany, ignoring all this past for the French team (I was 10, and was basically discovering football). Argentina and Maradona were not my stuff. So it is meant as a joke. ;) But what older people feel here is still true. If we win against Germany, France basically ends her best episode, and is fully done with the revenge. :) In one word : the job is done.

honestly, 1982 saw a disgusting German side. It was the time when I started to really dislike my own national team. It all started with a loss against Algeria, which I thought was really well played (by Algeria, not Germany). This was followed by the ultimate cheat, the fixed game between Germany and Austria. Due to the incompetence of FIFA to come up with a proper game plan, Germany and Austria knew which result was needed to get both teams through. And they did exactly that, 1:0 after a short while, then both teams refused to play any longer. I have never seen anything that shameful in soccer. Why Germany and Austria were not banned from the tournament is due to the huge lobby Germany has in football.

Then came the infamous semi-final against France. Again, how could Schumacher not get a red card for brutally smashing into Battiston? It was incredible. What was the referee or his assistant thinking? If that was not enough, this mediocre team actually managed to beat France via penalties.
I felt so relieved when Italy beat Germany. Our infamous tabloid Bild had very disturbing headlines those days trying to downplay all the uglyness.

But, that is the past and Klinsmann is exactly the opposite of what the German team of 1982/86 represents.

Fair enough. At least you were old enough to at least follow the game. (Alter Sack. :p)

ThERat said:
But, that is the past and Klinsmann is exactly the opposite of what the German team of 1982/86 represents.
I completely agree, but I know that many French people want Germany to "pay for that", even if it's a totally different generation and a different style. No later than tonight, our most famous TV commentator Thierry Roland (who will not be there for the final anyway, since it's another channel) said that he wished we would smash Germany once for all (something like "J'espère qu'on va leur foutre une branlée !" in French). He isn't known for political correctness or nice words, that's for sure, but that could set the mood for the final anyway. :D People have long memories, and that semi-final in 1982 surely was something terrible to remember, as it basically destroyed the chances of our best generation yet back then, the Platini generation, that some still consider to be better than Zidane's.

kronic said:
Fair enough. At least you were old enough to at least follow the game. (Alter Sack.)
I started to follow the WC in '74 with Beckenbauer being my hero. I was too young to even know anything about the Bundesliga and when someone told me Beckenbauer plays for Munich, I flatly denied and claimed he plays for Germany only :lol:

anyway, need to stoke the fire :mischief:
but seriously, I think if we talk about bad refereeing, I think this was one of the real lows, remember Toni Schumacher didn't even get a yellow...

Toni Schumacher's foul

kronic said:
Victories mean nothing if they don't last. :p

Consequently the same applies to the times you don't win, history and tradition is what gives football relevance - unless it's just a party for you, schwarz-rot-geil and all...
The FIFA is investigating Frings' role in that fight after the match. He might well be out of the tournament.
One should add that that is due to Italian TV... :mischief:

Yeah really nice and fair of Italy trying to exploit the post-game-tumult vs ARG :rolleyes:
For this alone they should get their sorry butts kicked out of the WC. I mean come on, afraid Frings could get you into trouble? Well it's gonna backfire bc it will only strengthen the resolve of the german 11. :p
It's gonna be GER vs. FRA in the finals. And one of the most memorable in all history of the WC for both countries bc emotions will run high like they never did before. The duel Ballack vs Zidane is gonna be a clash of titans. Zidanes magic vs Ballacks cold calculation, what a thing to see.
Oh, but we're still up against ITA. I see a slight advantage for GER due to the 12th man. It's 55% for GER and I really hope they will win trough for the above named reasons. :)

Shigga said:
Yeah really nice and fair of Italy trying to exploit the post-game-tumult vs ARG :rolleyes:
For this alone they should get their sorry butts kicked out of the WC. I mean come on, afraid Frings could get you into trouble? Well it's gonna backfire bc it will only strengthen the resolve of the german 11. :p

Again Italy bashing. How long should it last? :rolleyes:

Italy isn't trying to exploit anything.

If Frings was caught by a TV doing something wrong, he must pay, like Totti did two years ago. Or punching someone is less important than spitting?

If Frings isn't diqualified for 2 games, like Totti, YOU will be ridiculous, trying to exploit this kind of things with home advantage.

Rhye said:
Again Italy bashing. How long should it last? :rolleyes:

Do you really dare to ask for an answer? :evil:

On Frings: If even the player - Julio Cruz - he allegidly punched says Frings didn't punch him I fail to see how he can be suspended for punching.

It's more likely he gets a second yellow card against Italy (Deserverdly, of course, since Italians never dive) and will miss the final like Ballack in 2002. :(

Top Bottom