1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sevopedia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Gaurav, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Amra

Amra the Lion

Not sure if I've said it yet but thanks for keeping this mod alive and updated. It is appreciated. The new list of changes is impressive and I can't wait to try it out. Good work! :goodjob:

[EDIT] Just an FYI to anyone who is curious, I checked this out with Rabbit's Ethnically Diverse Units mod and it works like a charm, especially the option to hide duplicate names in the Pedia. Again, great stuff Gaurav!

2. Amra

Amra the Lion

Gaurav,

I know this is just a mod for the Pedia but... Is there anyway you could do an update to the "Dawn of Man" screen that TheLopez modified HERE so that it would not show the duplicate named units as you have now done with the pedia? I like that option with the Sevopedia 2.2 update and it would be a VERY helpful modification to the Dawn of Man screen when using it with the EDU mod.

I don't want you to step on TheLopez's toes by modifying his mod so I will understand if you can't do it. I would attempt it myself but my knowledge of python is limited to merging mods & not creating them. :blush:

Thanks for any consideration.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

Yes, I will be trying to do this. My current plans are to incorporate the Dawn of Man Mod and Roamty's Techwindow into Sevopedia 2.3 (or whatever I call it). TheLopez has generally stated that we can incorporate mod components as long as he gets credit. Taking over would probably be another issue, so I won't do that.

Please let me know if there are any other screens this issue seriously affects.

4. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

:thumbsup: TheLopez has done a great job with this but the ultimate fix would be to stop the duplicate units from showing. Hope he considers it if he reads this, or allows Gaurav to give it a shot.. Glad to see the Sevopedia ready aswell. :p

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

As I said, my plan is not to take over the Dawn of Man Mod, but I will fix it and incorporate the fix as part of the next version of the Sevopedia. TheLopez already allows anyone to include his mods as long as he gets credit, so that will be all that I am doing. :)

6. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Sorry, I meant if he allows you to fix it in the Sevopedia version, but you're giving him credit so it's good :)

If you can fix it though - Awesome - all the diversity mods will appreciate it for sure

7. Amra

Amra the Lion

That is terrific news, I'm looking forward to incorporating this into the next version of modpack. Thanks for the hard work.

8. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

Emergency patch 2.2a posted.

You know, I stink at testing. :suicide:

9. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Was there something wrong with the first release? :(

10. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

I suppose my consolation prize is that I found and fixed it before anyone noticed. Let's just say it was worse than Asoka. :cringe:

11. Healz

Healz General

Now all I need to do is work out how to get MaxRiga Mod working with this and I will be set. Perhaps it worked but it was just struggling with the 64Mb Graphics Card that I have. Hope to see Civ IV do amazing things on my new computer...

12. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

I looked at it, and it turns out that Total Realism changes the game mechanics so that the era is defined for each unit in the SDK and this affects gameplay. This makes knowledge of a unit's era critical. However, while their calculation may be accurate for their own mod (I wouldn't know), it is inaccurate in general:

Spoiler The code for CvUnitInfo::getEra() in Total Realism :

Code:
     4378 int CvUnitInfo::getEra() const
     4379 {
     4381 	int iEra,iTech,iTmpEra;
     4382 	iTmpEra = iTech = iEra = 0;
     4384 	if (m_iPrereqAndTech >= 0) // at least one tech prereq
     4385 	{
     4386 		iTmpEra = GC.getTechInfo((TechTypes)m_iPrereqAndTech).getEra();
     4387 		iEra = (iTmpEra > iEra) ? iTmpEra : iEra;
     4388 	}
     4390 	for (int j=0; j < GC.getDefineINT("NUM_UNIT_AND_TECH_PREREQS"); j++)
     4391 	{
     4392 		iTech = m_piPrereqAndTechs[j];
     4393 		if (iTech >= 0)
     4394 		{
     4395 			iTmpEra = GC.getTechInfo((TechTypes)iTech).getEra();
     4396 			iEra = (iTmpEra > iEra) ? iTmpEra : iEra;
     4397 		}
     4398 	}
     4400 	return iEra;
     4402 }
    This fails to take into account any required resources, not to mention the need to have at least one of the "OR" prerequisite techs. With the Sevopedia, I would need code that works for at least 80&#37; of mods (which pretty much means arbitrary XML) in order to include it.

13. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

this code is in first version, my plan is use this for some combat calculation in future (ie modern era units will get more bonuses gains older units, no need more set +15% attack for tank vs. spearman :) )
    i was set this for civpedia just to see, how it is working - and you are right, that this need more improvements (depend on bonuses/buildings/all techs etc..)

14. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

I thought this was already being used, with units two eras behind automatically losing. I must have misunderstood the first post in your mod thread.

I didn't even pick up on prereq buildings, oops. I looked again at the CvUnitInfos.xml, there are even prereq religions for units. There could be even more issues.

I don't see why this would even be much of an issue for most mods (unlike yours), it's mostly an RFE. I think I'll leave this one on the back burner. :undecide:

15. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

What do you think of adding back the small icons at the front of the sub-list Name as in this screen shoot

Attached Files:

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

See posts 9 and 10.

17. Springsteen84

Springsteen84 Chieftain

Hi,

I like this project for enhancing the functionality of Civilopedia, but I'm missing two more entries in the Sevopedia. A separate chapter/entry for National Wonders and Traits. I have tried to modify the existing Python code to establish this but I'm not that experienced in programmming, so I'm a little bit stuck.

Does someone knows if this is already included in some Mod or know how do this.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jeroen

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

It is way harder than it has to be to add a new subcategory, as I'm sure Impaler[WrG] can attest to. The central issue is that everything is hacked around the existing widgets defined in the (Non-SDK) C++, part of the graphics engine. You can see the ugly hacks used throughout the code to get it to work. I'm sorry I can't be of much further help than to say "it's hard", but well :dunno:

Spoiler Technical Details :
    The National Wonders would have to be made to work in a manner similar to the way wonders are separated from buildings, so just study that code carefully. The bWonder argument would need to be changed to an integer to support more than two types of pages for buildings.

I'm not sure if creating new pages for traits is even possible, since there is no way to create a new jump target without access to that code which is not made available through the SDK. Jump targets are things like WIDGET_PEDIA_JUMP_TO_TECH; if you define a WIDGET_PEDIA_JUMP_TO_TRAIT, even in the SDK rather than just in python, it would not mean anything to CyGInterfaceScreen.appendListBoxString() or similar methods. So the only thing you can do is to try to piggyback on one of the existing jump targets, with some way of determining that your new items are special and need to be treated differently in the jump event.

I hope that this makes some kind of sense to you.

19. Mac_Civ

Mac_Civ Chieftain

I'm running Vanilla. I can install this mod and it mostly works. Unit Upgrades, Promotions (also missing from unit screen), and Promotion Chart are the only submenus that don't work. The heading is there, but nothing comes up when I select it.

Can anyone help me work those out? I'm not python literate by any means, but if someone can point me in the right direction, maybe I can figure it out...

I've tried the previous version, but it doesn't eliminate the duplicate units, which is what I really want the mod to do.

Thanks

20. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

You need to enable logging, debugging, error popups in order to determine what the errors are and where in the code they come from so that you can try to fix them.

Again, please be aware that this mod includes features and code directly copied from the Warlords expansion pack, so using it without purchasing Warlords is against the Firaxis T&Cs.