SGOTM 20 - The Shawshank Redemption

Shall we vote on the stupidest moves in the game?

I nominate ORacling CoL. How many turns did that idiocy cost us? And who's brain-damaged idea was it? (Never mind, I just remembered who... :blush:)

Shall we vote on the stupidest moves in the game?

I nominate ORacling CoL. How many turns did that idiocy cost us? And who's brain-damaged idea was it? (Never mind, I just remembered who... :blush:)

I was just thinking about that. We woulda been fine with no courthouses an no caste, however, I condemned this once before and someone pointed out there was some trade value to it IIRC.

Don't forget the loss of the USS Minnow (our workboat--Trireme lure for the specatators that might no know). Not a stupid move, but it was a 'major' goal of ours to keep him alive. I forget who lost him and the punishment we were going to hand out.

Second to letting LC play with the team again :pat:, I'd say revolting to Christianity instead of Free Religion at the start of our Golden Age made things a bit more difficult for us. Luckily, it wasn't a strategic decision but had minor tactical implications like delayed border pops and what not. That was a group decision so I don't "think" I'm calling anyone out on this.

Seriously, great job team! While some pulled more weight than others, we all did our share.

WT gets the Gobstopper award for lasting the longest. He's the only one of us that was active the entire game. The rest of us took time off here and there leaving WT to do the heavy lifting a lot of the time.

Best new team member award goes to Imp. Knoedel. He never got Buffy running properly but he was the only new team member so he was a shoe in for that award.

ZPV gets the Houdini award for disappearing never to re-appear.

Jastrow gets the fastest Space finish award Oh Sh!t award for tackling the hardest turnset, piddling with it for several days, and then promptly handing it off without playing a single turn.

The Peanut Gallery award goes to LC for never failing to kick someone... especially when they were already down. LC does deserve some recognition for being our AI/war strategies but it's probably better to leave that unsaid. ;)

Deckhand and BSP get the Velma and Daphne award for being the annoying bystanders while all anyone really cares about are Scoobie and Shaggy.

The BEST TEAM CAPTAIN award goes to me, of course!

This game was a lot of fun and I appreciate everything that each of you did to make this a fun experience for us all.

Sheesh, sounds like I made all the blunders, except of course, for inviting me back to the team. :D

I owe each of you 5 alfalfa and lentil sprout sandwiches. :drool: All with mustard, Mitch's with leotard.

Biggest mistake this game... Not figuring out early enough that we needed paratroopers! Costs us dozens of turns, I think....

Seriously, I think it would be very harsh to call anything we did this game a big mistake. Yes, there are several things that, with the benifit of perfect hindsight, we could have improoved on a bit:

-COL, despite its trading value was probably only the second best choice at the time.
-Missing on the cultur advantage of free religion was a mild blunder.
-We had to backtrack a couple of squares with WB a few time.
-I made the attack on Sulies cap more risky by delaying a whip one turn because of miss counting movement will crossing a river on a road.
-I am not convinced we played the barb-dance when two archers appeared at once quite perfectly.
etc, etc, etc...

Seriously tho, how many turns did all of these cost us? 1 turn in total? Maybe... I am not even sure I beleive that...

Usually when I look back at my games in hindsight, I can find at least 10, and not rarely 20 turns that I could spare on a replay. Here, I am not at all convinced that I could come up with even one... (Not including in the hindsight the perfect map knowledge. With that, I am sure we could spare a couple of turns by planning the attack legs more accurately earlier, but that is not the point of this excercise.)

So to me, I think we played a pretty bloody solid game...

My honest vote is therefore, none of the above. There was no stupidest move this game.

We made 2 pretty big oversights, but in the end, they may not have cost us any turns on our win date:

I almost never play with vassals, and although I'm pretty sure I noted that vassals are on this game, I did not--nor did anyone else--really remember or work it into our grand strategy until late. Especially Peace vassals. We were destroying/ignoring our relationship with Cathy. That is the whole reason we had to switch to Christianity for 5 turns...just to make her go from annoyed --> Cautious.

Similar to this, we spent much of the early game thinking (kill Sule, then JC and Peter and Nappy)...cus we even guessed the secret goal correctly! But you'll note that no where in that plan is anything about vassals. Sure, we probably thought we get them to become a vassal once we beat them down to a couple cities, but we did not plan Peace vassals or 'instant vassals' where you give 4 cities and recapture (like we did to JC).

Had we done this, we could have focused on faster Holy city capture, religion spread--a ton more free spreads too.

Next biggest mistake: we were 90% sure we might need Astro, but we still blocked ourselves from bulbing it. We needed to not take either CoL or Meditation. Instead, we got our GM trade mission which is as good, or better than one bulb. And intstead of a 2nd bulb/trade mission, we got a Golden Age which I think we put to good use.

So our 'oversights' just made us work harder to get the same goals, and CivIV is such a great game the way it allows for that.

Our exploration was good enough to allow us to focus on the barbs earlier. I suppose the earliest we could have feasibly won was shortly after we traded for Feudalism.

I've got some bad news guys. I was just checking the Progress score graph and I'm afraid we might end up with the
Spoiler :
WOODEN SPOONS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I doubt it. They use the end game score. Early domination like this would get a 200-300k+ score. The team going for Ap will likely get the wooden spoon.

I thought domination scores were higher the earlier you finish??

Found this thread. I posted P5 as the best posts are 82/83. Feel free to look at previous pages.

How to work out your score

Overall a score of 200-300k+ should not get the spoon. The Ap teams will have much less land and will use up over 30-40% of available turns so the score will be much lower. If you look at previous results you will see which scores they base the spoon on.

As promised, I went back to the final turn and settled 'NewCity'.

Was I able to give the city away to Peter? to a Vassal?
Or did we lose the game?
Spoiler :
As expected no one except Peter would take the city.
And Peter would only take it if you gave it 1st or 2nd. He would not take it 3rd. (the only way we could screw ourselves.)

But there was another surprise that could have prevented our T133 win.
Another puzzle! Can you guess? With NewCity, what was our final tile count?
For those not intimately aware of our game, NewCity was a city that we could have settled last turn. It was to be settled on one unowned tile and steal 3 tiles from our vassal Louise.

Our final count was 572. What should it be with NewCity?

What did the count end up being?

Why?

My guess at the puzzle.
Spoiler :
Another puzzle! Can you guess? With NewCity, what was our final tile count?
For those not intimately aware of our game, NewCity was a city that we could have settled last turn. It was to be settled on one unowned tile and steal 3 tiles from our vassal Louise.

Our final count was 572. What should it be with NewCity?
572 + 4 (from NewCity) -2 (for 50% of lost 3 tiles) =574

What did the count end up being? don't know (575?):confused:

Why?

The final tile count was :
Spoiler :
573 :confused:

How can this be?

Hint:
Spoiler :
It is related to St.Petersburg again.

Top Bottom