[BTS] SGOTM 26 - The Indecisive

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 26 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished.

The Maintenance Thread is now open for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest. You will find the Game Details in the Pre-Game Annoouncement Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, they will be posted in that thread.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck with the game. Enjoy!

Prophet- CC: Dun, Temple, Monastery, Cathedral, Moai Statues, Great Wonder generating Great Prophet points (AP)

Merchant BB Dun, Temple, Market, Bank, Wall Street, Great Wonder generating Great Merchant points (Eiffel tower)

Artist 6R: Dun, Temple, Theatre, Broadcast Tower, Globe Theatre, Great Wonder generating Great Artist points (MoM)

Scientist Bib: Dun, Temple, Library, Lab, Oxford University, Great Wonder generating Great Scientist points (GLib)

General- island or Cahokia: Dun, Temple, Barracks, Drydock, Heroic Epic, Corporation HQ

Engineer TC: Dun, Temple, Forge, Industrial Park, Ironworks, Great Wonder generating Great Engineer points (Mids)

Spy 6W: Dun, Temple, Courthouse, Intelligence Agency, West Point, Great Wonder generating Great Spy points (Kremlin)

Last edited by a moderator:
Copying this from the Announcement thread, so we have all the needed info to start discussion going here.

------------------------------------------------

SGOTM 26 Announcement - Lady Stoneheart, Queen of the Ice Age

Winter has come - such a long, long Winter that Summer is regarded as a myth, no living person can remember the warmer times. Food is scarce, the land is tough, little grows, some animals are extinct - unable to exist in such harsh conditions.

Society has regressed, most of the old ways have been forgotten, the gods abandoned as they have abandoned you, there is no hope - just a daily fight for survival.

Then one day your advisers come to you - they have found an ancient text that seems to predict this never ending winter, and more importantly how to end it!

The text is difficult, many of the words are meaningless but together you piece together what it is saying. In order to end this winter you need to return to the faith of your forefathers that was brought to this land so long ago - the faith of the Seven.

Your people used to believe that there was one god with seven faces and this text reminds you of what you were taught:-

• The Prophet: represents divine justice, and judges the souls of the dead.
    • The Merchant: represents prosperity, fertility, and childbirth.
    • The Artist: represents purity, innocence, love, and beauty.
    • The General: represents strength and courage in battle.
    • The Spy: represents death and the unknown.
Some maintain that the faith was not always like this and along the way something has been mangled or lost but you dismiss that as an old wives tale.

The text tells you that to end Winter you must build 7 cities, each a tribute to one face of god, each city must have a Temple of your state religion and also certain other buildings. You will need to put your best minds to work to establish how to create these buildings.

Prophet- Dun, Temple, Monastery, Cathedral, Moai Statues, Great Wonder generating Great Prophet points

Merchant - Dun, Temple, Market, Bank, Wall Street, Great Wonder generating Great Merchant points

Artist - Dun, Temple, Theatre, Broadcast Tower, Globe Theatre, Great Wonder generating Great Artist points

Scientist - Dun, Temple, Library, Lab, Oxford University, Great Wonder generating Great Scientist points

General- Dun, Temple, Barracks, Drydock, Heroic Epic, Corporation HQ

Engineer - Dun, Temple, Forge, Industrial Park, Ironworks, Great Wonder generating Great Engineer points

Spy - Dun, Temple, Courthouse, Intelligence Agency, West Point, Great Wonder generating Great Spy points

You may construct other buildings in each city, as well as the requirements noted above, provided you only build exactly 6 Great Wonders and found exactly 1 Corporation.

You do NOT need to generate the appropriate great person just build the right Wonders in each city.

You must be running a State Religion when you win the game, but it is up to you which one you use however you must have temples of that religion in each city as well as the cathedral in the Prophet city.

(Cathedral is used in the generic sense it does not have to be a Christian Cathedral e.g. the Stupa is defined in-game as "the Buddhist Cathedral").

Starting location:-

Game Options
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: One City Challenge, No Barbarians, No Events, No Goody Huts, No Vassals
Victory Conditions: All enabled
Starting Techs: Fishing, Agriculture, Hunting
Starting Units: 7 Settlers

You may win by any method you desire.

Map settings
Map: Ice Age, heavily edited
Mapsize: Standard

Versions

This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the BUFFY-3.19.005 HoF mod.

Buffy 005 prevents you building Settlers in OCC but allows any World Buildered units to settle so is essential for this game.

Roster:

- Pigswill (captain)
- Folket
- RRRaskolnikov
- Cactus Pete
- Shulec
- Conquistador63
- anyone willing to help and have fun.

Last edited:
Good jov RRRaskolnikov. Cactus Pete say he/she wants to join. Please add him to the roster.

Done. I will try to put some thoughts into the settings/start before the evening. But first, is it me or we don't know which leader we play? I hope it's Brennus for the cheap temples and him being vastly superior to Boudica.

I think it wiill be Boudica as we are a queen.

Not enamored of the name but pleased to join the team.

Do we know when game will start, and do I understand correctly that a new Buffy mod for BtS will be required?

I think it wiill be Boudica as we are a queen.

:lol: you are right. Actually missed that. Too bad I guess.

Not enamored of the name but pleased to join the team.

Blame Folket... My sig might have inspired him though. :lol: Welcome on board!

Do we know when game will start, and do I understand correctly that a new Buffy mod for BtS will be required?

quoting AlanH from the maintenance thread:

"Timetable
The Team Discussion Threads will open in this forum as soon as we know all the team names.

The starting saves for each team will be made available here a few days later.

You will upload each new save at the end of your set of turns here, and the deadline for your final upload will be September 30th, 2020."

I guess the save will be available next week. (I think I will add a "usefull links" section to one of the first posts so we can have all the game-related threads available with few clicks)

Game will be played using the BUFFY-3.19.005 HoF mod.

Cheers

Goodness!

Welcome Cactus Pete :).

Thanks dRRRR Doom for getting this started.

I've been thinking to the victory condition we want to pursue.

Domination is out of reach (7 cities)
We want late buildings (lab, broadcast tower) so we will have to climb the tech tree up to almost the end.
Considering the first team to win with all required buildings win, imo a diplo or cultural (corp powered) win are the most fitting condition. I guess Pigswill will want us to raze all the AI cities and go for conquest but that might not be the best solution here :lol:

Other thing to consider, we can't build more than 6 wonders (1 per type) and one HQ, so we may want to build them early so we can make back up plans in case we fail our first attempt ("a Great Engineer is born in Germany").

Since we are limited to 7 cities, settling most of our GPs and getting the Mids might be helpfull too.

Speaking of which, I guess we will be scouting with settlers, (at least the 5 not sitting on PHs), before settling cities. We might wanna sim how much maintenance we will get settling cities without connections to the capital and tile improvement. ie we prolly want to settle some to get a power start producing 3/4 workers early, but we still wanna be able to tech the worker techs in a timely manner.

More to come, but we want more people on board first!

Cheers,
Ras

"Other thing to consider, we can't build more than 6 wonders (1 per type) and one HQ, so we may want to build them early so we can make back up plans in case we fail our first attempt ("a Great Engineer is born in Germany")." So, are you're suggesting that we have a backup plan to use a GE to build a different wonder if the AI beats us to the one we go after?

Note there is a discussion in the threads regarding running a deficit economy, which might be relevant if we settle cities ASAP. Anyone have any understanding of what this might entail?

Thoughts on pros and cons regarding early worker capture . . .

No, I was suggesting going for the early wonders... I would rather settle any GE we might get. Though we might want to keep one if we feel we will be short in that aspect indeed.

Imo the key to this game is our ability to get the most beakers the earlier possible with only seven cities and crappy land. That s why I think settling GPs with mids might be powefull. Ofc we need to come up with a way to generate a lot of GPs.
For instance, If we can find a place to buld the GLib with 2/3 food ressources, we will be golden.

I think we won t be able to find a good cottage place for a bureau capital... But I confess I am not experienced with this map script.

I guess building research will come in handy at one point too.

We will have to define our targets in each category before starting to play.

Yeap, function of who we met early on, getting a woody warrior to steal some workers may be usefull!

PS I hope u are not reading other teams thread. Stop it rn if u do :)

Nope -- see page 2 of Pregame Discussion thread re Strike Economy.

I just saw WastinTim mentionning it but actually I don't get it tbh. That's not vanilla so you aren't going to be in perma anarchy (avoiding unit strike and disbanding), and we need to be teching and our workers to do stuff to get rolling.

What am I missing?

I think strike economy gets research done while having a strike, I do not remember from where you get your research.

You keep the strike going by whipping/building warriors which are disbanded every turn. It allows for extremely high scores with running food corps on massive maps.

I'm missing it too, and that concerns me. Perhaps would allow 7 cities to grow and research and construct infrastructure before we even begin to produce (or complete) workers or other units?

I think we could ignore the potential of the strike economy for now. If you really want me to I an research it and see what I come up with.

Top Bottom