[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

Okay, I have updated my first post on page one. It now gives a running log of our progress with links to posts we might want to look at again. Please let me know if there are any posts you want me to add. Don't be shy. Doesn't matter if no one else cares about the post, the point is to save you time finding the posts.

Also, please let me know if you find a dysfunctional link. I haven't tested them.

I’d like to play further tonight. I think I’ll do the remainder of the set in two more 3-4t mini-sets in two days. A lot is happening with map reveals and AIs, so I think it’s worthwhile having everyone review the save often. I would have missed the Gua trade route otherwise.

The first 4t set is very straightforward, as the cities just continue their current builds and the workers are improving the obvious tiles. In 4t we should see the remaining AI capitals, as well.

If you have any more comments, speak now.

That's still utterly baffling. How can there be a coastal route?!? Somewhere there's a glitch in the matrix and until we know where it is, we won't know what might cut the connection.

That is so weird.
I too don't see how there can already be a connection.

I'm glad capturing Hong Kong in good time is back on the table.

@Bbp, good luck!

Further data on AI tech levels:

Renaissance Era (AI modifier: -15%):

Churchill
de Gaulle
Mehmed
Julius Caesar

Industrial Era (AI modifier: -20%):

Home Slices
Tokugawa
Bismarck

Modern Era (AI modifier: -25%):
Stalin
Roosevelt

This is easily determined by looking at the city buildings. First notice that the above groupings have the same buildings types in the Real Save. Go into Worldbuilder in bbp's test save, home in on any primitive AI's city, add to him techs by era. When you finally add Renaissance, the buildings flip to that grouping. Next Industrial Era and the buildings flip again. Then Modern and once again. I haven't looked at how this affects the AI score values.

Two Caveats: bbp noticed some WB inconsistencies and I noticed that giving a tech that flips the buildings and then removing that tech does not flip the buildings back.

Last edited:
Further data on AI tech levels:

Renaissance Era
:
Churchill
de Gaulle
Mehmed
Julius Caesar

Industrial Era
:
Home Slices
Tokugawa
Bismarck

Modern Era:
Stalin
Roosevelt

This is easily determined by looking at the city buildings. First notice that the above groupings have the same buildings types. Go into Worldbuilder in bbp's test save, home in on any primitive city, add techs by era. When you finally add Renaissance, the buildings flip to that grouping. Next Industrial Era and the buildings flip again. Then Modern and once again. I haven't looked at how this affects the AI score values.
Are you 100% sure about this? I was getting inconsistent results for this when I tried it in WB earlier.
Also, JC can't have a Renaissance tech. Banking is Medieval and his score isn't high enough for any more.

sossos doesn't know how to build rivers... :rolleyes:
I tried to replicate the rivers exactly in the test save, when I was testing Kaitzilla's suggested 2-road connection. We have TR with Chongqing there, rather than Tsingtao.
Edit: nvm, in the test save, it definitely seems to be a coastal route. The only way I get rid of it is by world-buildering land across to Hong Kong. I'll just have to keep an eye on the Shanghai border pop, as you suggest.
Btw, Shanghai should pop borders 1t before Manchou, so that will be a clear test of whether either of those cuts our connection.

Are you 100% sure about this? I was getting inconsistent results for this when I tried it in WB earlier.
Also, JC can't have a Renaissance tech. Banking is Medieval and his score isn't high enough for any more.
Well, there is one possible catch that I noticed. If I give an AI one Renaissance tech, his buildings flip. Then if I take it away, they stay flipped. So it's conceivable, I suppose, that JC was gifted a Renaissance tech, then had it removed.

I didn't notice any inconsistencies otherwise, but I didn't test too thoroughly. There surely might be. I think it probably holds pretty well. We'll see in the end. It only really matters, imo, if they have or can create threatening units.

EDIT: Giving JC Banking didn't flip the buildings nor did CS to Toku.

Last edited:
I've seen stuff like this before--connected to someone far away after sailing. Does it have something to do with the lakes?

Cough, unexplained trade routes are one of those unsolved mysteries of Civ 4.
I've seen a few times my city connect to my empire when I was 100% sure it was impossible.

Everyone knows barb cities blocks coastal trade routes.
I'm pretty sure coastal cities with closed borders do the same.
Or maybe it only gets cut off during war specifically?

It's nothing I ever tried too hard to investigate.

Something changed to enable the connection.
It wasn't connected, then it was.
It has to be unfogging a tile somewhere.

I'll check again in the morning and try to give a better answer.

Bbp's land bridge to Hong Kong to sever it in the test game should be a good enough clue to pin it down.

Last edited:
Ok, I've played to T12 and uploaded.

Mehmed just demanded we stop trading with Roosevelt, and I denied.

I got an archer into position to grab a German worker on the Tsingtao copper mine this turn, but he does still have LB+Archer in the city.
Edit: not sure if this is something we would consider. Main reason to stop right now.

Chongqing also has a worker, which is pasturing the nearby cow.

The continent looks smaller than I expected now. Haven't had a chance to count tiles, but I'm not so sure it's single continent domination anymore.

Hong Kong is the only nearby city that is yet to grow to 2.

Shanghai borders popped this turn, no change to Gua TR.

The continent looks smaller than I expected now. Haven't had a chance to count tiles, but I'm not so sure it's single continent domination anymore.
Ok, I counted. There are 813 tiles on the continent currently visible. I'd estimate another 60-70 or maybe more fogged. We can also see 70 island tiles right now. That is approx. 950 out of 1007 needed for domination. Hopefully there are more islands accessible pre-Astro. It's close.

I got an archer into position to grab a German worker on the Tsingtao copper mine this turn, but he does still have LB+Archer in the city.
Edit: not sure if this is something we would consider. Main reason to stop right now.
Not sure how representative this is, but when I simulate it in the test game his units stay in the city.

I'm tempted to go for the worker as long as we can ultimately survive if the lb takes the archer out. I haven't looked at what units we can have to recover.

That is approx. 950 out of 1007 needed for domination.
Won't surprise me if we have 1006 tiles pre-Astro.

Or maybe it only gets cut off during war specifically?
that sounds possible.

Not sure how representative this is, but when I simulate it in the test game his units stay in the city.

good news, but it is scary. I find that often the AI will not immediately retaliate, but the problem with this worker steal is that when we try to make our escape, the lb gets a 2nd chance at us. I guess it would only get the archer and the worker would escape.

Top Bottom