SGOTM3 Rome - Maintenance Thread

a space oddity said:
Wonderful screenshot, Scout. :lol:
NotmyfaultIdidn'tdoit. It was somebody else's mod, I swear. All I did was play it for a bit. Names have been withheld to protect the guilty. :p One of these days I'll actually open up the game editor thingy... I've actually never tried to edit a map. So many SGs... so little time. :crazyeye:

alerum68 said:
C3C can't be played on Mac? Did not know that. I think it's time for them to upgrade to PCs.:p
The software pack said "Compatible with Windows XP or better" so I bought a Mac... :p

mad bax, please empty your PM inbox a little.
Thanks,

Pardon the ignorance. I don't yet own C3C, so what does the ToZ have to do with the land-locked carrack?

jeffelammar said:
Pardon the ignorance. I don't yet own C3C, so what does the ToZ have to do with the land-locked carrack?
The Statue of Zeus gives its owner a free "Ancient Cavalry" every 5 turns until Metallurgy. The AC is a 3/2/2 mounted unit with an extra hit point. You need Mathematics and Ivory to to build SoZ, and you need Ivory to continue to build the AC units. Some think this is a game imbalancing wonder, but when you see the scarcity of resources on a C3C map... digression potential there...

I posted that screenshot to hint at how easy it might be to mess up a game trying to make C3C comparable to PTW/Vanilla. The Carrack is actually the Portugese UU, available with Astronomy. I guess Grahamiam didn't assign a unit to the Statue of Zeus when he modified that .biq, and somehow the Carrack got associated with the wonder... hence, a landlocked Portugese UU under the Korean Flag...

Back to comparing C3C to PTW/Vanilla: The gameplay is very similar, but these siblings are not twins.

There are Civs and Civ Traits, wonders, units, and UUs in C3C that simply don't exist in PTW/Vanilla. None of these is the most problematic difference, from the standpoint of being able to compare a C3C game to a PTW game.

If you look in the lower right hand corner of a [c3c]1.22f Industrial Age tech tree, you will see a subtle (yet profound) difference. Radio is gone, and Electronics is no longer a required tech for Motorized Transportation. Stop and think about it... Tanks (and Panzers) can come into play much earlier than in other games.

Note that I specified 1.22f. The tech tree in 1.15b does not have this change - so games cannot be shared between 1.15b and 1.22f...

IMO, in order to make C3C comparable to PTW/Vanilla, one would need to start with the 1.15b version, and modify it extensively... maybe not as extensively as the Apolyton University mod... but close. Extensive enough to require an additional installation; in the same manner that some of us can choose between 1.15b and 1.22f. When I looked at the AU mod, I decided that four versions of this game (plus the Conquests Scenarios) should be enough to hold my interest for a while longer.

AlanH said:
The software pack said "Compatible with Windows XP or better" so I bought a Mac... :p

hehehehe... That's how come AlanH was so willing to do all that thankless work with the score server... to enure his "mac" version of Civ was played! CONSIPERICY!!!! Shannanagains! I claim Shannanagains on this game!

"Heck, everyone knows that mac's are just for those artsy graphic designer types and to do real number crunching you need a PC, a real man's machine" says Deny (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) :mischief:

And to keep this post somewhat on topic, Hey MB, just so I can do a little calendar planning, any idea on when SGOTM4 is scheduled to start?

@mad-bax. You have recently ask not to discuss certain issues in this particular thread and transfer all relevant correspondence to pm. Unfortunately, your request cannot be honored because your pm box is full. Please clean it up ASAP, there are a few issues of importance and people are awaiting your verdicts. :lol:

denyd said:
"Heck, everyone knows that mac's are just for those artsy graphic designer types and to do real number crunching you need a PC, a real man's machine" says Deny (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) :mischief:?

From one of those artsy designer types, the only numbers my Mac crunches are the 700 mb+ photoshop files I frequently work on. It handles those quite well. ;)

Delay to the start of SGOTM4

Due to the difficulty of the variant in SGOTM3 I have decided to delay the start of SGOTM4 by about a week. I will make the announcement for SGOTM4 on 13th September and the game will start on 20th September.

Please feel under no pressure to complete your current games by the 20th. I am prepared to delay the results a little.

Please be aware that the 1.29f (vanilla) version of SGOTM4 will require your game patched with the GOTM modification up to and including GOTM25. If anyone is unsure how to go about this, then please let me know, and I will help you.

People who will play the PTW version, will NOT require ANY of the GOTM mods.

Hey! That means the staff team will have more time on their hands while we had to rush through it :mad:
Well, if you really want to win by cheating... :shakehead

:joke: :lol:

You're doing great anyhoo. Keep it up :thumbsup:

@mad-bax
I know you want to keep the suspense ;) , but I would recommend that you start the discussion of the variant rules even before you post the signup thread.
As it worked out in SGOTM3, a lot of important information was buried in hundreds of posts in the signup thread.
And it also showed that even though the variant was crystal clear in your mind, it needed a lot of clarification until the teams understood what you wanted. :crazyeye: :confused:

The problem with that is that most of the issues do not arise until they are met in the game. For the next game I will keep all the rules in a single post and link that post in my sig and the maintenance thread.

FWIW I have been playtesting 5CC, Zero Research and One Built City. IMO one of these is too easy and one pretty much impossible, and I want to keep the third one for another game. So you can make out of that what you will. :)

Both 5CC and No research are pretty easy once you know what you're doing :) No research is hardly a variant above emperor, apart from the starting techs... OBC on the other hand is pretty hard, even on emperor.

Top Bottom