Shoshone

a) SHoshone are good enough they don't need that part of UA actually, I always play without goody huts anyway and they seem to be runaways usually;
b) how many goody huts per game will you get? 3-4-5? If what you propose would be true, we would have to find something you do every 3-5 times per game. Natural Wonders seem ok, except it's basically more RNG anyway. Plus - wonders are so good, if you have them nearby they are a reward themselves. City States? What about huge maps and 24 CS? 24 goody huts for sho-sho? Yes, please. Most OP UA ever :) You can easily get like 10 free techs from that

a) SHoshone are good enough they don't need that part of UA actually, I always play without goody huts anyway and they seem to be runaways usually;
b) how many goody huts per game will you get? 3-4-5? If what you propose would be true, we would have to find something you do every 3-5 times per game. Natural Wonders seem ok, except it's basically more RNG anyway. Plus - wonders are so good, if you have them nearby they are a reward themselves. City States? What about huge maps and 24 CS? 24 goody huts for sho-sho? Yes, please. Most OP UA ever :) You can easily get like 10 free techs from that

Could do first of each type of city state you meet. Dunno why anybody who turns off ruins would want Shoshone to still have them anyway tho.

Well, it is indirect buff of a very good (although quite generic) civ. There are 5 types of CS, right? :c5faith::c5gold::c5food::c5culture::c5war: So by meeting them within reasonable span of time, you will always be able to choose - for example - free tech. Which, in the long run, may be the best choice. 5 free techs is just a bit shy from whole Ethiopian UA. That's not the best balance :c5unhappy:

I think there is some limitation to repeating the same reward, so you cannot select 5 techs in a row. You have to pick other rewards in-between (which can still be pretty good in the early stage of the game, but becomes less appealing later).

I was pretty sure it works like this - you can select same reward either
a) after you took 2 other in meantime
b) after certain time (20 turns?) passes

17 IIRC. Then they heal every turn, have strong defense (with the right promotions) and can cross oceans. Pretty interesting overall.

Upgrade him 4 times, and he can paradrop and pillage everything while being invincible in around Classical.

I’d be okay with replacing the ruins bonus, yeah
It was weird on pathfinders, but especially as part of the UA it just doesn’t seem very representative of the Shoshone. If the priority is still a recon buff, how about something like “Recon units can take normal infantry unit promotions in addition to recon promotions”, Not sure if that’d be possible to implement though.

I don’t intend to change the Shoshone.
You wouldn't find it in your heart to move a tech boost from rifling to gunpowder on the Encampment?

Pleeeeeease?

Why? Symmetry?
The encampment is very strong when it unlocks in ancient, but they only get 2 tech boosts: 1:c5culture:/:c5food: at Rifling, and 1:c5production:/:c5science: at Ecology. At Information era, Ecology is such a late boost that it is hardly worth mentioning, but it's there.
For comparison, the Kuna comes out 1 tech era later than Encampments and has 4 tech boosts, with its last tech boost at Flight, 2 full eras earlier than Ecology.

In the intervening time between Ancient and Industrial, there's a lot of techs/buildings/policies boosting all sorts of other improvements and the encampment falls behind. It's the UI that most noticeably drops off. Moving the 1:c5culture:/:c5food: forward 1 era smooths out the curve on yields a bit.

I actually wonder if the 1:c5culture:/:c5food: couldn't stay where it is, and a +1:c5production: couldn't be added at Gunpowder, but if you wanted to keep it at 2 boosts only that could be workable. It's just that massive dry spell on tech yield changes kinda kills the encampment as a viable tile improvement for that Medieval/Renaissance stretch

Last edited:
Encampments feel very underwhelming to me, but I've never liked the Shoshone, so I'm not the best voice to listen to.

Top Bottom