Should the Equal Rights Amendment Be Passed?

Where, how? Some law? Some court ruling? Who is arguing anywhere that women can't or shouldn't have equal rights?

Do I perchance know you on another strategy game forum by another handle name - HonestAbe, perchance?

The entire southeast, every title nine program, equal pay for the same job is still an issue

These issues, such as they may be, are persistent. The question was what do you think happened in the last two years.

These issues, such as they may be, are persistent. The question was what do you think happened in the last two years.

The United States is ranked seventh worst in the First World for women's rights, protections, advancement, and equality (only Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Greece, and Slovakia rank worse among First World Nations), and, in fact, among Third World Nations, Rwanda, the Philippines, and Costa Rica all rank better.

The ERA has renewed momentum, thanks to the 2016 election, the 2017 Women’s March, the #MeToo movement, and now the sexual assault accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. “Because this current administration has been so openly hostile to women and there’s been such a clear rollback of Title IX protections and other civil rights, people understand the urgency of an ERA,” Dunn says. In fact, she and other supporters like New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney believe the ERA is likely to be ratified in the next two to three years. “I’m kind of shocked that I think that,” Dunn says.

If Dunn were to guess, she thinks Virginia could be the 38th state — the last one needed to pass the amendment — but there’s also mounting support in Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, and North and South Carolina. “The grassroots networks are working beautifully to really push back against the administration and say it’s time for the ERA,” she says.

https://ideas.ted.com/why-the-us-needs-to-pass-the-equal-rights-amendment-finally/

Of course if you actually believed this is just redundant than what is the harm?

The ERA has renewed momentum, thanks to the 2016 election, the 2017 Women’s March, the #MeToo movement, and now the sexual assault accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. “Because this current administration has been so openly hostile to women and there’s been such a clear rollback of Title IX protections and other civil rights, people understand the urgency of an ERA,” Dunn says. In fact, she and other supporters like New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney believe the ERA is likely to be ratified in the next two to three years. “I’m kind of shocked that I think that,” Dunn says.

If Dunn were to guess, she thinks Virginia could be the 38th state — the last one needed to pass the amendment — but there’s also mounting support in Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, and North and South Carolina. “The grassroots networks are working beautifully to really push back against the administration and say it’s time for the ERA,” she says.

https://ideas.ted.com/why-the-us-needs-to-pass-the-equal-rights-amendment-finally/

Of course if you actually believed this is just redundant than what is the harm?

@Naskra seems utterly unable to back up anything he says with any rational argument, evidence, or reasoning - they expect all their posts to be accepted flat-out as though absolute, irrefutable truths not needing elaboration had been spoke. They also ridicule, deride, and mock arguments countering their point of view, even those, like ours, with evidence, statistics, or reasoning behind them, rather than offer rational or meaningful criticism. This is why I believe he is someone I've had the displeasure and misfortune of dealing with from another strategy game forum under the handle name I dropped in my post above - because they both have the same toxic but, ultimately, empty and without real substance way of "debating" (and I use the word lightly) issues on forums like this.

@Naskra seems utterly unable to back up anything he says with any rational argument, evidence, or reasoning - they expect all their posts to be accepted flat-out as though absolute, irrefutable truths not needing elaboration had been spoke. They also ridicule, deride, and mock arguments countering their point of view, even those, like ours, with evidence, statistics, or reasoning behind them, rather than offer rational or meaningful criticism. This is why I believe he is someone I've had the displeasure and misfortune of dealing with from another strategy game forum under the handle name I dropped in my post above - because they both have the same toxic but, ultimately, empty and without real substance way of "debating" (and I use the word lightly) issues on forums like this.

Yea, well it still requires me to actually read up on things so its not just based on natural compassion and intuition. Also at least they aren't allowed to fall into all out name calling and threatening that happens so many other places these days. I appreciate the space.

Apparently equality doesn't grow on trees and there's only so much of it to go around. It makes sense since a lot of people are always talking about how freedom isn't free and stuff like that.

Apparently equality doesn't grow on trees and there's only so much of it to go around. It makes sense since a lot of people are always talking about how freedom isn't free and stuff like that.

Usually, it's fiscal conservatives, whose own agendas are hurt by TRUE policies of freedom and equality, who attempt to couch and portray freedom and equality as though it were, somehow, a commodity of limited supply. Funny how that correlation happens and who it comes from.

Usually, it's fiscal conservatives, whose own agendas are hurt by TRUE policies of freedom and equality, who attempt to couch and portray freedom and equality as though it were, somehow, a commodity of limited supply. Funny how that correlation happens and who it comes from.
They're probably the same kind of people who think that wind and solar power will use up all our wind and sunlight leaving the world in darkness without wind.

They're probably the same ones who think that wind and solar power will use up all our wind and sunlight leaving the world in darkness without wind.

Like Jack Vance's "Dying Earth?"

They're probably the same kind of people who think that wind and solar power will use up all our wind and sunlight leaving the world in darkness without wind.

Usually they're more arbitrary and ignorant than that. (at least the sun is an actual finite resource) Like the increasing skin-melanin levels in America and Europe or the women removing unwanted biomass from their own bodies or trans people using the incorrect toilet.

It's like a puzzle game. Try to justify concern for these things without sounding like an ignorant backwards sexist racist.

good for you.

Science and logic should always be lead by compassion and intuition. Without those science and logic will lead you down some dark paths sometimes.

Where, how? Some law? Some court ruling? Who is arguing anywhere that women can't or shouldn't have equal rights?
Have you been living on Earth this century? Missed the Tea Party candidates (some of them women, not to mention the toxic Ann Coulter) yapping on about how women shouldn't have the right to vote?

It's true that having people who don't have resources deciding freely where resources should be allocated has awkward incentives, but it doesn't make sense to stratify that based on sex because there are plenty of very productive women and plenty of deadbeat men and vice versa. I don't see how voting vs not is relevant to ERA in particular.

This amendment is likely to have unintended consequences as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

This amendment is likely to have unintended consequences as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

So did the Emancipation of slaves in the U.S., the end of the Jim Crow Laws, the decriminalization of homosexuality, the abolition of "anti-miscongenation" laws, and the legalization of labour unions. Hell, so did the ratification of the U.S. Constitution. And, in all these cases, their critics said, or strongly implied, that ALL the "unintended consequences" coming from each would automatically, without exception or possibility of exception, be bad to disastrous, with no good ever coming of them.

So did the Emancipation of slaves in the U.S., the end of the Jim Crow Laws, the decriminalization of homosexuality, the abolition of "anti-miscongenation" laws, and the legalization of labour unions. Hell, so did the ratification of the U.S. Constitution. And, in all these cases, their critics said, or strongly implied, that ALL the "unintended consequences" coming from each would automatically, without exception or possibility of exception, be bad to disastrous, with no good ever coming of them.

These are not fair comparisons.

Actually, isn't it already illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex? I thought that was illegal since before I was old enough to understand the concept. I know that racial/age/height/sex/etc discrimination all still happen, but to my knowledge this is a matter of enforcement rather than these things being allowed by law. Is that mistaken, was I mislead in my human resources course work?

Top Bottom