Snofru's Space Maps

I have made another map with nearly the same settings as the last one. Why? I have been playing around so much with the other map that I just knew it too well. No more surprises...

Here are the settings:

• large size (108x72)
  • tropical
  • high sea level
  • 150% hills, 150% peaks
  • Continents
  • +4 rivers
  • 150% resources

Attachments

• Space Map - Snofru Large09_V1.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Here is my map for you. Copy it into the PrivateMaps folder and have fun!

For the record: This is a duel sized space map with an "earth part" made with toffer90s "World" mapscript with the following settings:
  • duel size (60x40 which is larger than the typical duel size in the World mapscript)
  • tropical
  • medium sealevel
  • 100% hills, 50% peaks
  • continents
  • +4 rivers
  • 125% resources
I have manually removed a little bit of ice.

Cool. Thanks. I'll try it out when I'm done playing my current game.

OK, I produced a space map with the following settings:

• large size (108x72)
  • temperate
  • low sea level
  • 100% hills, 100% peaks
  • Continents
  • +4 rivers
  • 100% resources
thanks! above settings were nice:)

For some reason the space cutoff is way lower than it should be while playing Large Map 6. Is there anything I could do to fix this?

Attachments

• space.png
    space.png
    700.4 KB · Views: 67
can I ask for even more maps like from Snorfu: with cosmic space section, with different sizes and more randomness? the ones that are currently available I know almost too much and would like to try something new. Is there a possibility to be able to generate such maps myself, i.e. that the earth section is generated randomly, but the outer space is always the same? Im the most interested in large/normal size maps with 20 players and numerous independent islands (1-2 players per island).

can I ask for even more maps like from Snorfu: with cosmic space section, with different sizes and more randomness? the ones that are currently available I know almost too much and would like to try something new. Is there a possibility to be able to generate such maps myself, i.e. that the earth section is generated randomly, but the outer space is always the same? Im the most interested in large/normal size maps with 20 players and numerous independent islands (1-2 players per island).
A bit clunky, but not too hard, if you understand the method.
Choose a Snofru space map that you want to "randomize".
In-game, create a Random Map with the NON-Space measurements of that map (be precise and attentive, though).
Save it as a file, then open it and the original map in a text editor (Notepad++ is good).
Copy-paste the "space addition part" from the Snofru map to after the end of the new random map plots (it's easily discernible by the "space-y" terrain, lol).
Profit.

it's a pity that it can't be automated somehow, there's a lot of tiresome, monotonous manual copy-paste procedures...
maybe some brainiac could write some script... I would be very grateful ;)

it's a pity that it can't be automated somehow, there's a lot of tiresome, monotonous manual copy-paste procedures...
maybe some brainiac could write some script... I would be very grateful ;)
Not really a lot of tediousness for Snofru maps specifically, actually.
Unlike Pit's map, Snofru maps put Space to the right of the Earth portion, which means you simply need to cut one single long chunk of plots, which starts strictly AFTER the Earth part.
While this prevents the Earth part from being more "realistic" in the sense of circumventing the globe horizontally, it makes the whole "remove/replace the Space part" easy as 3.14, lol.
Pit, though, put his Space ABOVE the Earth portion, making the map itself better, but rendering any Space-(re)moving editing REALLY painfully tedious.
The plots in the map file are arranged in the pattern of (X=1,Y=1 / X=1,Y=2 / X=2,Y=1 / X=2,Y=2), meaning that you can easily cut off a chunk of (X=n...X=z), aka the RIGHT part of the map.

Last edited:
I completely agree with somebody613 about the observations regarding map comparisons and their editing, but I still can't get over that nobody has yet managed to write a algorithm for a map generator in which the terrestrial part is randomized and the space part is not. From the player's point of view, each edit of the files (because, for example, only the 6th map will turn out to be interesting for the player, so he has to make as many as six file changes, open, copy, paste, save, etc., several dozen minutes of clicking instead of real playing) may discourage exploring this brilliant mod, in which half of the name (caveman2COSMOS) concerns outer space, and we know that the playability of the space part is weak (only few players have experienced it fully).

I completely agree with somebody613 about the observations regarding map comparisons and their editing, but I still can't get over that nobody has yet managed to write a algorithm for a map generator in which the terrestrial part is randomized and the space part is not. From the player's point of view, each edit of the files (because, for example, only the 6th map will turn out to be interesting for the player, so he has to make as many as six file changes, open, copy, paste, save, etc., several dozen minutes of clicking instead of real playing) may discourage exploring this brilliant mod, in which half of the name (caveman2COSMOS) concerns outer space, and we know that the playability of the space part is weak (only few players have experienced it fully).
Well, it's a project very much still in the middle of making, so we now should rather focus on the CAVEMAN part, which itself is AMAZING.
All that hunting and so on, ya know.
And as of the SPACE part, I'm heavily expecting and wishing that there will be literal Alien Civs (with their own tech trees, mind you) in the game a few dozen releases later, lol.
And/or Multi-Maps as well.
The latter being a surprisingly neglected feature from Vanilla itself, since there WAS a version of as far back as Civ 2, Test of Time, that HAD something of a Multi-Maps feature.
So why the heck was that superb idea scrapped entirely, I have no clue - it's a gold mine for the game play style, Spore confirms.
Here's my Future Dream of C2C:
1. A huge and very detailed Earth map (at least the size of Pit's, but with no such nonsense like his take on Portugal).
2. Being populated by 200+ civs at the same time (we DO have those civs already, actually, and more can be easily added).
3. Having ANOTHER map for Space (in general, starting with Orbit and going into Infinity Void or whatever).
4. Having MORE maps for the actual planets (at the very least, a number of fixed ones, though Random Planet generation is encouraged).
5. Those also being populated by Earth colonies AND by aliens (of whatever variety).
6. Having all of that work in one multi-faceted game would be just WONDERFUL.
0. Yeah, you'd first need to rebuild the damn GAME ENGINE to let us use the MODERN MEMORY RESOURCES... so it's probably ain't gonna happen... ever. DAMN.

Not really a lot of tediousness for Snofru maps specifically, actually.
Unlike Pit's map, Snofru maps put Space to the right of the Earth portion, which means you simply need to cut one single long chunk of plots, which starts strictly AFTER the Earth part.
While this prevents the Earth part from being more "realistic" in the sense of circumventing the globe horizontally, it makes the whole "remove/replace the Space part" easy as 3.14, lol.
Pit, though, put his Space ABOVE the Earth portion, making the map itself better, but rendering any Space-(re)moving editing REALLY painfully tedious.
The plots in the map file are arranged in the pattern of (X=1,Y=1 / X=1,Y=2 / X=2,Y=1 / X=2,Y=2), meaning that you can easily cut off a chunk of (X=n...X=z), aka the RIGHT part of the map.
Sorry, but this is wrong! My space maps also are arranged vertically meaning that the earth can be circumvented as usual and the space area is to the "north" of the planet. And yes, this means a tedious copying line by line of the randomly created world into the space map template.
Unfortunately I can't write a script for this, I am not a coder. I am sure it is possible for someone who has a little bit more than my less than basic knowledge.

Having automated the process a little bit (working with templates) it takes me about an hour to produce a space map (plus time for testing). I can create one for you, @AndrewPoland but unfortunately I have absolutely no time in the next 2 weeks, maybe it is better in the last days of the year.
If you provide me a map of your liking I can then include it in a space map. The map needs to have 108x72 tiles (that is "large" in the "World" mapscript) and be saved in worldbuilder (as a x.CivBeyondSwordWBSave file).

Sorry, but this is wrong! My space maps also are arranged vertically meaning that the earth can be circumvented as usual and the space area is to the "north" of the planet. And yes, this means a tedious copying line by line of the randomly created world into the space map template.
Unfortunately I can't write a script for this, I am not a coder. I am sure it is possible for someone who has a little bit more than my less than basic knowledge.

Having automated the process a little bit (working with templates) it takes me about an hour to produce a space map (plus time for testing). I can create one for you, @AndrewPoland but unfortunately I have absolutely no time in the next 2 weeks, maybe it is better in the last days of the year.
If you provide me a map of your liking I can then include it in a space map. The map needs to have 108x72 tiles (that is "large" in the "World" mapscript) and be saved in worldbuilder (as a x.CivBeyondSwordWBSave file).
I was judging it on THIS map (below).
Isn't it yours, too?
My point definitely works for THAT map, lol.
It's sad that we don't have auto-templates for Space maps, right?
I wish we could create random ones as well, eh.

Attachments

• Space Map - Duel World.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1 MB · Views: 13
No, this map isn't mine. Could be interesting to use such a map and make the creation of new space maps simpler. Unfortunately this one only has a 40x64 Earth part, a little bit too small for my liking...

More than 4 years ago we had the discussion to get random space maps. The team then told me that we won't need these anymore when multimaps are established and they don't want to split their focus. I somehow had the feeling that multimaps were still far away then (unfortunately I was right) so I tried to make maps of my own. Unfortunately I am too dumb to create them from scratch but with a lot of help from others I at least were able to insert random earth maps inside of existing space maps. I am happy to see that these maps are really used in the community and I would really like to see automatically created space maps - ideally with different Earth sizes or even random space. But this is lightyears away from what I can do...

Top Bottom