1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So you want to see gameplay, huh?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Napoleon really should have brough a navy into it. I mean greg didn't have any ships, a couple of frigates would have made mincemeat out of that bottleneck.

2. AntiLegend

AntiLegend Chieftain

congratulations on a nice presentation, if nothing else, you won me as a buyer :)

3. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

I don't know what to think really. The game looks really fun I definitely want to try it... But how much Civilzation is going on really? Based on this video, the game more reminds me of something as weird as a turned based RPG. You walk around with your units and complete "quests"; You'll be searching for national wonders, killing barbarians and helping the city states. You will then be rewarded with upgrades and gold. Sometimes you get enough culture to upgrade your social policies, but doing so is never a trade-off. You will never try a new policy and go like "Uh-oh, that messed up my economy big time". I can see why they have done these changes:

1. The first version of Civ 4 had a problem: Sometimes there were really little to do except for clicking the end of turn button in the beginning of the game. For example, your scout got killed and you're building a Settler. With the new system exploring will be much more important and therefor you will hopefully have more to do in the beginning of the game.

2. It always feels better to get an additional things instead of changing things. In most RPG games your levels always go up, but they will never go down.

Conclusion: Civ V is a combined strategy war game and a RPG game. And it sure looks like a good one. The battle part looks really fun. However, just as I feared, a lot of the economical part seems to have been removed. And that was the biggest part of Civilzation.

4. Szpilman

Szpilman Void Co. Chairman

Hey you guys, the livestream was great! Catherine was there, you should've seen, and it was noted she is always too willing to be 'friends' with everyone. What a big heart! Padded by such big.. oh and hey, I'm waiting for stealth_nsk to come around and tell me how her russian sounds like. Hawt, I'd presume.

5. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

You do realize we only saw like the first 40 turns and another 20 in the middle; where we were already at war.

Ruins and barbs play pretty much just like CIV; and the city-states are a nice addition but not one that likely becomes useful until around the 150 turn mark which was right in the middle of the two gameplays.

Also, given that Greg had the whole of Africa to himself and a natural choke-point at Suez I was surprised he only put out like 6 cities - none coastal. The goal was to show combat (and it was forced by France) so it isn't like there were spare hammers to spend on buildings and such.

It did appear he built both and armory and barracks in the one city since the units he was building had 30XP upon completion.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't know. I still get the same sense of achievement of investing in something over time, just like a previous game. I can still make a decision and regret not making another. There's no "Oh crap, I should have chosen Hereditary Rule over Monarchy, now I have to wait three turns before my next revolution and my cities aren't as happy", but there is "maybe I should have gotten a different social policy instead, now I'm not going to do as well as I should."

The basic mechanics still seem to feel the same. Exploration, building, settling, it's all there. Even war seems like it will drag my entire economy into stagnation in an effort to win like it has done in the past (big changes in combat, but it still feels like Civ combat to me).

7. XOVERX

XOVERX Chieftain

I think the biggest thing in the mid-game example was the Greg was playing on the second highest level. It's no wonder he only had six cities in all of Africa.

On those levels you've got to think "units", especially when you border the (by far) strongest civ in the game. Once France declared, Greg's game turned into a game of resistance.

So we missed aspects of the game that would have developed on a lesser level of play. Which is why I avoid the highest level. Constant embroilment of war.

I like a little war, but not total war, all the time. And that's the game we saw with Greg.

8. migkillertwo

migkillertwo Prince

well 3 big things you have to remember, which gave me optimism and I think will give you a good dose of optimism
    1: The game was set to near-maximum settings. Only difference was anti-aliasing, which was set to 4x instead of 8x (which actually puts a huge dent in the # of frames/second)
    2: The game was running game recording software. That will put a lot of strain on any system
    3: The computer was also recording Greg and Garret with webcam software. that puts an even bigger dent than gameplay recording software!

Given that the computer performed as well as it did with 2 other RAM-heavy programs running in the background, I'm very optimistic and am quite sure that it will be able to run on my over-priced laptop

9. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

You do know that France was a military superpower for quite a while, right?

10. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

google french military victories.

11. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

I play Europa Universalis III....
    I have nightmares about the BIG BLUE BLOB.

I was raised in Montreal (but I was born in a country which used to be a French "colony" :lol: more like occupation I say). France colonial history was mandatory in HS history classes. I can even speak, read, and write French, thank you very much.

12. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Two civs were ahead in culture.
    Napoleon, probably, was aiming for a domination/conquest win.
    So, Greg would be forever at war with Napoleon until he lost his capital.
    (I don't know if you'll be able to win the game when you've lost your original capital.)
    Since Greg was already at his unit limit (and behind in tech), I wonder what
    he could have done to stop the advanced cultural civs from winning.

13. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

he could load up that tuner, and gift himself some nukes.

14. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Any civ can recapture their own capital and they can either capture or liberate the captured capital of another civ.

If you liberate another civ's capital it appears that they will vote for you in the UN just like a city-state that has been liberated.

15. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Not sure what happens if you liberate a capital of a civ that already had lost all its other cities; I'm guessing it comes back just like a city-state would - which is nice since it would vote for you (if you can keep it alive). Maybe it would turn into a city-state...?

16. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

I did it just for you. ;)

It wasn't a save compatibility issue; the time it worked was the same save. I don't know what caused that issue for sure but I can say that I have played a lot of Civ V and have never seen that weird crash before!

I have seen a gazillion people ask about renaming units and cities!

They were crossing the sea a lot earlier in the war. However, I was able to ranged attack them when they embarked, which would force them to land wounded, and then my samurai could easily finish them off in open ground.

The chokepoint made a huge huge difference. If I hadn't had a citadel there, he would have overrun me easily. I was also being very smart about keeping units alive so I had very highly promoted units. He was also typically fighting another war at the same time. I think he wiped out two other civilizations.

The ZOC is my favorite part of the tactical combat! On pretty much every one of my turns I was using the ZOC to defend wounded units. It's a delightfully interesting mechanic in my opinion :)

I don't know what it looked like for you guys, but it was running as smooth as silk the entire time. The only times when it chugged was when it was processing other players' turns. And it was a conscious decision to allow that to happen. It would be possible to make it so that the machine doesn't chug at all on the CPU turns, but then the turns would have to take longer (it would be saving a lot of CPU cycles to handle the rendering instead of putting most of them towards the AI and game processing.)

Yeah, the software that handled the stream was running on the same computer, and that chews up quite a bit of resources; it has to capture the entire screen AND the video camera, mix them together in to a Picture-In-Picture feed, and then encode it in real time for uploading to the web.

I wasn't playing these games to win; I was playing them to try to show off as many features as I could. 2 hours is ridiculously short for showing off any version Civ! I was playing much better when prepping the save; I lost very few Samurai and always had a replacement out quickly. :)

Okay them's fightin' words! I've been playing Civilization since the very first version!

Haha so true. This was the first time we had ever used that card, and I am going to assume that was the issue. Nobody here had ever seen that issue before.

Thanks!

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Thanks for not only doing the live feed, but commenting afterwards. I'm actually most excited to hear that Napoleon attempting a naval attack (although if he had done it on screen, people would complain the AI was stupid for attempting one :p ). Glad you can address any questions we have based on things we couldn't see.

I'm shocked at Napoleon being so powerful. Sounds like he was a force to be reckoned with in that game. :eek:

18. Boris Godunov

Boris Godunov Prince

Given what was seen of your fighting ability today, I'm not too worried. ;)

19. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

Greg,

The Ustream was a lot of fun to watch and I figured that the reason why Nappy wasn't crossing by boat was b/c of your ranged unit(s), that Treb was killer and would have wasted a lot of troops before they made the crossing.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
    Joseph

PS: You should get back to those Frenchies and show them what for ;)

20. Janig

Janig Prince

very entertaining thx guys!