1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So you want to see gameplay, huh?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mannu

Mannu Warlord

Greg,

Thanks for arranging this, I really appreciate it. That was pretty disappointing for me though. I was hoping to see a lot more of the game and a lot less talking, especially about stuff (like research and the civilopedia) that any civ fan should already know. It was 20 + minutes before you even got to turn 5.

2. sdlufkin

sdlufkin Warlord

Just got back from work, is it up for me to see anywhere?

Oh, I think I found it.

3. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

post 296 in this thread

4. gibson1314

gibson1314 Chieftain

Thanks for taking the time to do that Greg, it's great to see someone put so much into a game that we all love. I always thought it was just a job, but now I see how much you guys love it too, cheers.

5. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Yeah, but tbh, their was enough gameplay shown, more than anything else so far, so we can't complain, I did love the japanese bushido's against the much more superior french army, tbh you couldn't have shown off a Civ's ability and Civ5 gameplay better if you tried, as the fact you got into the situation you were in, was all chance. But it ended up giving a really good demonstration, sure you weren't winning but you did a darn good job defending.

6. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

Yeah I bet with all those programs running it probably out did you cooling system and you vid card simply over heated. My dad had that happen with his custom comp. He tried playing AoE3(he's not a civ fan though I might just convert him:D) and it completely fried his comp. He didn't have the proper cooling system though(needed a liquid cooling system and only had a fan). Fried the game too. You did an excellent job on the stream by the way. Still not going to get civ 5 for 3 weeks after release though. 2 hours on one comp is just not enough to find all the bugs. 504 hours is much better. LONG LIVE CIV 5!

7. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

Yeah take out those stinky frenchmen!:D

8. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Watching the recordings now...

Will say right off the bat that Civ5 has roped me in straight from the beginning, I loved the civ selection screen (showing the German Empire right before WWI) and I thought that the introduction with history and description of the leader was absolutely epic.

I can tell you right now I will be taking the extra 30 seconds every time I play the game to listen to that awesome intro...

:king:

9. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

Is it me or the rivers look really bad (I don't use harder word :D). They said this is how is going to look when we get the game?!

10. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

who is the guy next to greg ? the bass player in the garage band? why arnt these people dressed like professionals? And where does he get his data about random events and the feeling that random events are just the computer cheating against you? Are the people who /ragequit over a volcano in thier city setting design?

About the rivers..the 2K people started the cast saying this was the build we'd all be getting then flipflop about the build whn the city walls and graphics crashes were brought up. These jokers dont know what they are doing let alone what is final and what is filler.

11. No, they said this is NOT How it's gonna look.

12. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

They say somewhere in between 10 - 20 minutes into the video that this is the build which is close to the FINAL build.

I like voice over when you discover techs though, that guy has good voice.

13. oopsy poopsy

oopsy poopsy Warlord

Yeah, I gotta say I thought the rivers looked pretty poor (and not being able to tell the difference between iron on a hill or plains for Greg kind of freaks me out that I'm going to be using the strategic layer a lot to double check).

I haven't read most of what's come out as far as previews, but I really thought I'd heard you could control where cultural borders expand and I was disappointed that the comp. decides the next tile (have to see how much buying the next tile costs before I decide whether I think that was a good idea). That and I would've liked more video of the non-war aspects the builder types, but I fully get 2 hours is hardly enough time for everything and there's a lot less to actually watch happen.

That's the negative, the positive is almost everything else (which even in two hours was a lot). I think I'll love playing the new combat. I like the encampments vs. cities for barbs, city states (all diplomacy looked more transparent, which is awesome), natural wonders, and GL unique improvements all sound great. I can't think what else, but I'd been optimistic for the new civ, but not really drooling with anticipation and after that video I'm definitely getting there.

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

That giant mine really did look like a hill though so you can't blame him.

15. Mannu

Mannu Warlord

love to see the borders following the terrain in the second session. Nice that our national borders are so irregular and follow the good tiles!

16. sdlufkin

sdlufkin Warlord

I'm waiting for the first video to queue and it's about half way done, but the part that I CAN watch is just sound only - is that normal or should I refresh the stream?

17. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

there should definetly be a video

18. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

I didn't know a professional sound studio was garage band quality. I want to be in YOUR band! :lol:

19. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

2K Elizabeth, you have a nice voice. :)

20. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Why thank you!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the stream. It was fun setting up!