So you want to see gameplay, huh?

Greg,

Thanks for arranging this, I really appreciate it. That was pretty disappointing for me though. I was hoping to see a lot more of the game and a lot less talking, especially about stuff (like research and the civilopedia) that any civ fan should already know. It was 20 + minutes before you even got to turn 5.

Just got back from work, is it up for me to see anywhere?

Oh, I think I found it.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Greg, it's great to see someone put so much into a game that we all love. I always thought it was just a job, but now I see how much you guys love it too, cheers.

Yeah, but tbh, their was enough gameplay shown, more than anything else so far, so we can't complain, I did love the japanese bushido's against the much more superior french army, tbh you couldn't have shown off a Civ's ability and Civ5 gameplay better if you tried, as the fact you got into the situation you were in, was all chance. But it ended up giving a really good demonstration, sure you weren't winning but you did a darn good job defending.

I did it just for you. ;)

It wasn't a save compatibility issue; the time it worked was the same save. I don't know what caused that issue for sure but I can say that I have played a lot of Civ V and have never seen that weird crash before!

I have seen a gazillion people ask about renaming units and cities!

They were crossing the sea a lot earlier in the war. However, I was able to ranged attack them when they embarked, which would force them to land wounded, and then my samurai could easily finish them off in open ground.

The chokepoint made a huge huge difference. If I hadn't had a citadel there, he would have overrun me easily. I was also being very smart about keeping units alive so I had very highly promoted units. He was also typically fighting another war at the same time. I think he wiped out two other civilizations.

The ZOC is my favorite part of the tactical combat! On pretty much every one of my turns I was using the ZOC to defend wounded units. It's a delightfully interesting mechanic in my opinion :)

I don't know what it looked like for you guys, but it was running as smooth as silk the entire time. The only times when it chugged was when it was processing other players' turns. And it was a conscious decision to allow that to happen. It would be possible to make it so that the machine doesn't chug at all on the CPU turns, but then the turns would have to take longer (it would be saving a lot of CPU cycles to handle the rendering instead of putting most of them towards the AI and game processing.)

Yeah, the software that handled the stream was running on the same computer, and that chews up quite a bit of resources; it has to capture the entire screen AND the video camera, mix them together in to a Picture-In-Picture feed, and then encode it in real time for uploading to the web.

I wasn't playing these games to win; I was playing them to try to show off as many features as I could. 2 hours is ridiculously short for showing off any version Civ! I was playing much better when prepping the save; I lost very few Samurai and always had a replacement out quickly. :)

Okay them's fightin' words! I've been playing Civilization since the very first version!

Haha so true. This was the first time we had ever used that card, and I am going to assume that was the issue. Nobody here had ever seen that issue before.

Thanks!

Yeah I bet with all those programs running it probably out did you cooling system and you vid card simply over heated. My dad had that happen with his custom comp. He tried playing AoE3(he's not a civ fan though I might just convert him:D) and it completely fried his comp. He didn't have the proper cooling system though(needed a liquid cooling system and only had a fan). Fried the game too. You did an excellent job on the stream by the way. Still not going to get civ 5 for 3 weeks after release though. 2 hours on one comp is just not enough to find all the bugs. 504 hours is much better. LONG LIVE CIV 5!

Greg,

The Ustream was a lot of fun to watch and I figured that the reason why Nappy wasn't crossing by boat was b/c of your ranged unit(s), that Treb was killer and would have wasted a lot of troops before they made the crossing.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
Joseph

PS: You should get back to those Frenchies and show them what for ;)

Yeah take out those stinky frenchmen!:D

Watching the recordings now...

Will say right off the bat that Civ5 has roped me in straight from the beginning, I loved the civ selection screen (showing the German Empire right before WWI) and I thought that the introduction with history and description of the leader was absolutely epic.

I can tell you right now I will be taking the extra 30 seconds every time I play the game to listen to that awesome intro...

:king:

Is it me or the rivers look really bad (I don't use harder word :D). They said this is how is going to look when we get the game?!

who is the guy next to greg ? the bass player in the garage band? why arnt these people dressed like professionals? And where does he get his data about random events and the feeling that random events are just the computer cheating against you? Are the people who /ragequit over a volcano in thier city setting design?

About the rivers..the 2K people started the cast saying this was the build we'd all be getting then flipflop about the build whn the city walls and graphics crashes were brought up. These jokers dont know what they are doing let alone what is final and what is filler.

No, they said this is NOT How it's gonna look.

They say somewhere in between 10 - 20 minutes into the video that this is the build which is close to the FINAL build.

I like voice over when you discover techs though, that guy has good voice.

Is it me or the rivers look really bad (I don't use harder word :D). They said this is how is going to look when we get the game?!

Yeah, I gotta say I thought the rivers looked pretty poor (and not being able to tell the difference between iron on a hill or plains for Greg kind of freaks me out that I'm going to be using the strategic layer a lot to double check).

I haven't read most of what's come out as far as previews, but I really thought I'd heard you could control where cultural borders expand and I was disappointed that the comp. decides the next tile (have to see how much buying the next tile costs before I decide whether I think that was a good idea). That and I would've liked more video of the non-war aspects the builder types, but I fully get 2 hours is hardly enough time for everything and there's a lot less to actually watch happen.

That's the negative, the positive is almost everything else (which even in two hours was a lot). I think I'll love playing the new combat. I like the encampments vs. cities for barbs, city states (all diplomacy looked more transparent, which is awesome), natural wonders, and GL unique improvements all sound great. I can't think what else, but I'd been optimistic for the new civ, but not really drooling with anticipation and after that video I'm definitely getting there.

love to see the borders following the terrain in the second session. Nice that our national borders are so irregular and follow the good tiles!

I'm waiting for the first video to queue and it's about half way done, but the part that I CAN watch is just sound only - is that normal or should I refresh the stream?

Bleh and with the resources of 2k couldnt Liz and Co. put together a more professional production. That whole garage band in your mothers basement thing just doesnt cut it.

I didn't know a professional sound studio was garage band quality. I want to be in YOUR band! :lol:

Top Bottom