So you want to see gameplay, huh?

No offense to Greg but seeing his Germany starting play and his play with Japan I can tell you he is not that good. He didn't stay on top of a lot like building more samurai instead of letting them drop to 4 less than he could have and he did a horrible job advancing Berlin in the begining and way to much to talk about. Plus he only had what looked like 5 cities as a civ over an era behind and in tech yet he is able to prevent Nappy from rolling him.

He was trying to show us the game, so you wouldn't expect him to meticulously micro-manage everything. He's probably better when he actually plays to win. Though I will admit I was shouting questions at my computer RE: how could he not notice those ruins.... twice >.>

No offense to Greg but seeing his Germany starting play and his play with Japan I can tell you he is not that good. He didn't stay on top of a lot like building more samurai instead of letting them drop to 4 less than he could have and he did a horrible job advancing Berlin in the begining and way to much to talk about. Plus he only had what looked like 5 cities as a civ over an era behind and in tech yet he is able to prevent Nappy from rolling him.

My theory is that Napoleon actually just didn't care about him because he was so small and is now going to destroy him. On Immortal in Civ Iv you don't stand a chance with play like he was showing us. You would be dead pretty early and quickly once declared on, especially next to Napoleon.

Meh, He was showing us game-play and a lot more is going on other than focusing on the game.... also, I do not think anyone is "good" at this game yet. My 2 cents

Ustream verdict: Civ5 = Civ-lite the board game

I know I have a reputation for lambasting the development philosophy but, like many of you, I found many of the actual in game changes exciting. Before today I was even leaning into the wait and maybe buy later category but after watching the Ustream videos I gotta say the word "lackluster" is stuck in my throat.

One has to beleive that to get this result the goal was to create a Renaissance in the boardgames industry by successfully bringing the internet to the card table. And thats fine but that is not Civ. I wanna call it dumbed down but its not..its just been made much less complex..less intense...less complicated. Less to think about so the multigame can progress. Everything felt brought down a level..and yet horribly cluttered on the map since every unit needs a hex.

Bleh and with the resources of 2k couldnt Liz and Co. put together a more professional production. That whole garage band in your mothers basement thing just doesnt cut it.

My remaining questions are 1) If that was an example of a "beefy" computer running the game ..how is it going to work on my laptop 2) did the AI not send its units across the sea because Greg had a catapult or because, like many other civ AIs before it, the AI has issues with naval transport.

A bit disappointing that the AI didn't flank him over water. Greg had a decent starting position and looked like all of africa to himself and was last in just about everything.
I also wanted to see the AI flank him from the water :sad:.

Overall,I really enjoyed the feed.Only one more week to go,can't wait.. :cool:

2k greg GREAT FEED! Sorry about you losing the game and the issue with the video card. It's good ol' Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong(on both accounts).

My theory is that Napoleon actually just didn't care about him because he was so small and is now going to destroy him. On Immortal in Civ Iv you don't stand a chance with play like he was showing us. You would be dead pretty early and quickly once declared on, especially next to Napoleon.

Napoleon did wipe out Siam while fighting Greg. France was probably waiting for artillery so it could stack overwhelming firepower against him. Greg did have a chokepoint, 1-2 city-states, and Bushido to protect him. I'm curious to see what he could have done if he hadn't moved his position in order to show us city combat. My guess is the same result, just five turns later. That artillery alone was wrecking havoc.

Ustream verdict: Civ5 = Civ-lite the board game

I know I have a reputation for lambasting the development philosophy but, like many of you, I found many of the actual in game changes exciting. Before today I was even leaning into the wait and maybe buy later category but after watching the Ustream videos I gotta say the word "lackluster" is stuck in my throat.

One has to beleive that to get this result the goal was to create a Renaissance in the boardgames industry by successfully bringing the internet to the card table. And thats fine but that is not Civ. I wanna call it dumbed down but its not..its just been made much less complex..less intense...less complicated. Less to think about so the multigame can progress. Everything felt brought down a level..and yet horribly cluttered on the map since every unit needs a hex.

Bleh and with the resources of 2k couldnt Liz and Co. put together a more professional production. That whole garage band in your mothers basement thing just doesnt cut it.

My remaining questions are 1) If that was an example of a "beefy" computer running the game ..how is it going to work on my laptop 2) did the AI not send its units across the sea because Greg had a catapult or because, like many other civ AIs before it, the AI has issues with naval transport.

Well the french instantly slapped a riflemen onto the water the instant his choke point failed, although they should have killed that trebuchet first. Also if you'd notice, greg didn't do that much transporting either, i'm gonna hazard a guess that if you do it too often you end up losing a lot of units, because there so easy to destroy on water.

That was a sweet show. :)

He still didn't mention whether we can switch social policies tree, if we can't then we have to plan the optimum path right at the start which is not cool for many new people.

Also he mention that you can only put one unit on a city tile. I always thought it was one garrison and one station allowed but no. Only one garrisoned - if you already have one there then you can't even produce another unit in that city.

He still didn't mention whether we can switch social policies tree, if we can't then we have to plan the optimum path right at the start which is not cool for many new people.

Also he mention that you can only put one unit on a city tile. I always thought it was one garrison and one station allowed but no. Only one garrisoned - if you already have one there then you can't even produce another unit in that city.

no he said that they could be produced but then you would have to move the newly produced unit out, but he did say you can't purchase them if there is a unit blocking. Thus prevernting you from rushing 18 units in one city and having no where to put them, basically destroying the game rules.

Edit - anyone else notice those little road icons in the middle of the jungle just before he started explaining the route to mechanic.

Edit - yes you were to slow.

Just to be clear - he said you can't rush buy a unit if there is a unit garrisoned in the city. He said you can still build a unit, but you have to move the new unit out of the city before you can continue.

EDIT - too slow lol

"Revolution and counter Revolution
Switch between two mutually exclusive SP trees 3 times in one game"

thats an achievement, so yes you can.

They did, and yes you can, BUT it won't be smart to do it, if you don't have a very good reason. For competitive gameplay, you'll need to have a long term plan regarding your SPs.

One thing in the AI's defense regarding my water flanking comment - maybe this is a good sign that the AI doesn't cheat. Greg's line of sight was pretty short and would often probe with cavalry to try to see what Nappy was doing.

We also couldn't know how extensive or where exactly Nappy's empire was. He might not have been in europe much and had no real souther med coast to attack from. He also might not have ever explored africa or had any idea where to hit for a flanking attack.

And maybe he did try to attack via sea earlier - that bottleneck standoff had been going on a while.

Anyways, you'd hope that with that kind of tech and production advantage the the AI would do something other than repeatedly bash a land bottleneck with so much water around.

Top Bottom