1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So you want to see gameplay, huh?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mr Greenfinch

Mr Greenfinch Chieftain

Every time anything interesting happened the "camera" moved away to another place. Can it be turned off somehow? An example: I attack and have only 0.001 sec to see the result because the focus moves to my another unit on the opposite side of the map.

2K Elizabeth - very nice voice - it was a pleasure to listen

2. CannonballJack

CannonballJack Chieftain

No kidding. It was nowhere near the most important information revealed.

That, of course, was that 2KGreg plays Civ until 2 AM and has an opinion on what to build and research on his first turn. We now know for a fact that he's One Of Us.

One! Of! Us! One! Of! Us!

3. Link

Link Scarves

Lets try to be civil, people.

4. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

What do you mean? This conversation is pretty civil. Kinda weird though, that the community will all the sudden start talking about taking cloths of games in a thread like this. Sure there has been threads in the past that involve these things but I wonder how it got to this point from Greg doing a live stream of a game.

5. moopoo

moopoo King

SO ANYWAY, if i were to download this at a later date, what kind of file size would i be looking at?

6. Fizticks

Fizticks Chieftain

From what i saw in the pre load threads your lookin at 4.77 gigs or so, but with a download speed of 4-7 megs XD

7. Boris Godunov

Boris Godunov Prince

The Steam download is ~4.5G I believe.

8. moopoo

moopoo King

EDIT: ignore this, i just looked through the previous posts

9. Azazell

Azazell Prince

Very Cool show - 2k Greg! :)

Immortal isnt to hard for you 2k Greg? I playing in prince and is hard for me :D

10. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

First of all, great effort guys.:hatsoff: I think overall the demo by the three of you was a big success, and I got a much better idea about the game than I had previously gotten from the millions of near-identical preview articles.

My comments on the video:

Search feature: Hmm, well obviously putting in the exact name of a unit is going to be one of the easiest things for the search function to do, what about if you spelt panser?
    What about game concepts like capturing cities? (I'm just nitpicking, wishing you actually showed a better example of the search)

Popups from huts seem to look a bit annoying. Considering they rave about how popups are now moved first to the notification area, I think it would be nice if popups from such trivial things as huts and natural wonders didn't demand immediate attention, especially when not asking you to make a decision - just OK! Hope those little popups can be turned off.

Disappointed to see that zoom-to-cursor is not in the game. This is a really good UI concept but it is hard to appreciate if one has not experienced it before. I always refer back to the example of Supreme Commander so at least people who have played that game know exactly what I mean. Having to use the arrow keys on the keyboard or the minimap doesn't seem tedious until you see how intuitive, smooth and fast it is to just use zoom-to-cursor all the time.

I noticed Decisive Victory was not a guaranteed complete victory. His scout did not finish off the barbarian.

I hope to see a Don't Cycle Units option. After he fights and doesn't kill that barbarian, the camera pulls him straight away to another unit before he even gets to see the end of combat properly. (Barely gets a moment to see the xp float up and be displayed)

Advisor commenting that city states are not in to win the game. This will disappoint some of the realism-obsessives, because it pulls the player out of immersion. Personally I don't care - just expect to see people complaining about it.

When they were commenting on number of city states that you put at start of game, I wondered if there is a way to select a random number? IMO it would be more fun to not know in advance exactly how many city states there were remaining to be met.

Turn times appeared to be very slow. I'm hoping it was due to the demands of other software on that system. I'm not all that optimistic about it though. Timing the turns revealed even 5 second or more turns in the 3000BC era, but hopefully that is not typical.

By the way guys, it's PIE-ety. Not pee-ity. :p (or maybe that's just regional variation)

Regarding the ability to "lock" citizens to a tile while still being able to set a focus, fantastic idea Firaxis - I applaud you.

Oh noes, the graphics glitch was pretty bad. Overheated graphics card maybe? :s Gosh my graphics card is fanless - I wonder how it will do. :s

Excellent to see the detailed info (advisor) screens have not been skimped on. :goodjob:
    Deal History screen - very cool - I would never have thought of putting that in.

All the overlays in the strategic mode look great. It didn't look like it was possible but my only request would be that you be able to choose icon overlays to see simultaneously rather than have them all or have only one. e.g. see both improvements and resources but not units.

Watching the last half hour of video now...

11. Niniux

Niniux Chieftain

Did you time the ones in the war against France? There seemed to be about the same length between turns, so maybe it just takes a few seconds, regardless?

12. PieceOfMind

All I know is TMIT's gonna be pretty annoyed if turn times are like that. ;)

13. VikingMaekel

VikingMaekel Chieftain

Are you kidding me? The "bass player" Garret wore a Pip-boy shirt! You possibly can't appear more professional to a bunch of gamers than that! Now the gamers know that that particular producer games, he's in the known.

14. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

If Greg was sitting there, wearing a made-to-measure suit with a tie, I would think: what a slippery Babbit - I don't feel represented by him.
    So I am thinking: easy and likable guy, hopefully he will get well rewarded for his work - He is one "of us".

15. PieceOfMind

Another thing I noticed in the second video was that Greg accidentally fortified a unit, ending its turn. I was wondering why it would be that fortifying now causes a unit to end its turn? (i.e. use up the rest of its movement points) What reason would there be for preventing a player from changing his/her mind and selecting that unit again but with the intention of moving it?

Reminds me of the blockade mission in civ4, which also annoyingly ended the unit's turn when there was no need for that to happen. (at least in that case there may have been technical reasons for doing it, something about breaking and creating trade routes again)

16. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I find it OK that fortifíing is so (if really so).
    I mean, yes, to fortify is an action, like to move a hex, and even more so,
    yes, it should take the unit to end its turn...
    ...and hey, just be careful about what you order your unit to do :)

17. PieceOfMind

But I ask of you, why?

In civ4 if you told a unit to fortify, it would lose focus or "end its turn" but it would still have its movement points left in case you changed your mind and moved it later. When a unit is in focus (i.e. selected) you are allowed to go to other units and give them orders first, coming back to move the unit afterwards.
    Importantly, in civ4 a military unit that didn't move for its turn just fortified automatically. You can just keep pressing spacebar every turn for a unit and it will earn the 25% fortification bonus.

But why make it more difficult on the player and make it even more important that they be careful what button they press?
    Unless there is a specific gameplay reason why units that have been told to fortify must not be able to unfortify during the same turn, it's bad design to make the fortify action irreversible (on the current turn).

Thinking about it, I can only assume there is a reason it happens this way. I haven't analysed rules and mechanics of the new game as closely as many of people on this forum, but I'm guessing there could be something like a combat bonus given to units adjacent to fortified units. That would mean it would be unfair to be able to fortify and unfortify a unit in the same turn. Maybe it has something to do with a Zone of Control exploit. I just don't know.

18. Evocatus

Evocatus Chieftain

That was an interesting demonstration. I cast a glance at it from another screen, since I was occupied with more pressing matters. Going to look for a replay now. Oh, my copy got preloaded, biatch! :)

19. craig123

craig123 Prince

Great presentation last night Greg - thanks :D

Yes evrett, I have to agree. Here's how I expected Greg and Elizabeth to look when I tuned in:

Spoiler :

Imagine my shock when I saw this:

Spoiler :

I refuse to buy a computer game from a company that tolerates such a shoddy appearence in its staff. Until 2K adopts appropriate attire for a working environment I will be protesting outside its headquarters. Anyone joining me? :rolleyes:

20. Szpilman

Szpilman Void Co. Chairman

Hey you're feeding our troll! He's still not quite there with Gandhi but has been putting some weight lately.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the show Lizzie! You sure should have popped in and knocked Greg out of his chair to show how it's done, still you were a great hostess voice and humour and all!