[SoI] The Great Seljuk Empire

Congrats on the 1000th post. Hopefully you can capture Baghdad.

Chapter 9: The Battle of Baghdad

As the cavalry in Wasit healed their wounds from the recent battle, Abu Muslim Khorasani's men stayed to help govern Al-Basrah. The Abbasid Caliphate, under their Caliph Harun al-Rashid, wished to retake the valuable trading center. The Abbasids sent the skilled Abna spearmen against the cavalry, thinking that the spearmen, trained against horses, would be able to pick off the cavalry. But what the caliphate failed to calculate was the inclusion of the Seljuk's archery. On horseback, the Seljuks were so skilled at shooting arrows it was said they could pin a fly to a tree 100 meters away without killing it. Of course, this is purely legend, but it well describes the level of skill. Needless to say, the tribal cavalry, under Abu Muslim Khorasani, obliterated the Abna spearmen, and Al-Basrah remained in Seljuk hands.

The Principality of Armenia was a state that branched off of the Byzantine Empire. The principality was in the Caucasus Mountains, an area far too mountainous for the Seljuk's horsemen. Thus, Alp Arslan refused to send men into the mountains, against the Armenians. The Byzantine Empire was said to only have allowed the Armenians to stay there in the first place was so that the Seljuks would not directly invade Anatolia. This all changed when King Ashot I ascended to the Armenian throne. For the first time since Armenia's submission to the Byzantines, a prince did not hold any power, but a king did. Ashot peacefully separated from the Byzantines, and Emperor Basil of Constantinople, not wishing to anger Armenian minorities in Anatolia, agreed to allow the new kingdom. Thus, the Kingdom of Armenia was established. Alp Arslan, while in Wasit, was visited by Ashot, and an uneasy peace between the faiths was made, the first peace between Sunni Muslims and Orthodox Christians in history. However, the peace came at a price. Mass migrations of Seljuk Turks went through the Caucasus into Anatolia, where it was said there'd be peace. The minority of Turks became a majority, and Emperor Basil was forced to let the city of Konya become the capital of a new Seljuk state in Anatolia, the Sultanate of Rum. The Sultanate arose in power quickly as Alp Arslan supported a rebellion against the Byzantines, and much of central Anatolia soon came under the Seljuk wing.

Back in Mesopotamia, reinforcements from Greater Iran arrived in Wasit. When the city ended the post-occupation revolt, the Seljuks mobilized once more, cutting across many rivers and streams until finally arriving at the gates of Baghdad, the largest city in Mesopotamia and the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate, the worst enemy of the Great Seljuk Empire. It was the year of 1072, nine years after the capture of Wasit. Alp Arslan was aging, and was 51 when he first laid eyes on the city. Baghdad, as largest city and capital of the prestigious caliphate, was even more beautiful than any other city Arslan had ever seen. In the center of the grand city, the Spiral Minaret spiraled up and touched the heavens. Below, the palace of Harun al-Rashid, home to many exotic animals such as the peacock, was colored in green, blue, and gold. Though Arslan couldn't see it from the wall, he knew the House of Wisdom, the largest library and university in existence, was in the city as well. So Arslan was determined to capture it, even if it meant the deaths of many, many Seljuks. Due to a lack of quality walls, Arslan sent men immediately against the archers that defended the city, and the attack was ultimately successful. Though many Seljuks died, the front line archers were defeated. Untrained archers, consisting of mostly citizens of the city, arose and attempted to stop the Seljuk onslaught. The first attack against them by the Seljuks, which was supposed to just be a diversion in the first place, was forced into a retreat. However, a third attack came from the east, and the surprised archers were easily defeated. Alp Arslan entered the city with his men, but Harun al-Rashid was nowhere to be found. The caliph had fled to Samarra, a city north of Baghdad. Within the Caliph's palace, Alp Arslan legendarily freed all of the exotic animals, as they were not meant to live in captivity. The sultan lit a flame atop the Spiral Minaret, warning all Abbasids that the city was Seljuk now, and would stay that way for a long time.

Yay! Kill the Abbasids!

Chapter 10: The Fall of the Abbasid Caliphate

In the years following the capture of Baghdad, growing tensions between Arabs and Turks caused riots across Abbasid cities. One such riot killed Harun al-Rashid in Samarra, and his turban was legendarily stolen and sent to Alp Arslan, who wore it upon the throne of Baghdad. Abbasid poets* described this event as "when the sultan wore the caliph's attire**." The death of their caliph left the Abbasids in disarray, as Harun al-Rashid had no heir. This was when Alp Arslan entered Samarra, the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate, and this was in the year 1075, three years after the capture of Baghdad and one year after the death of Harun al-Rashid. Within Samarra, Arslan was supposed to be appointed caliph, which was why he was called to Samarra. He denied that he was worthy to be caliph, and instead burnt down the Palace of Samarra, which wasn't a big loss, anyway. In front of the burning palace, a speech was recorded***:
I have burnt this palace, which was the home of your caliph, Harun al-Rashid, for two years. I must admit, it pales in comparison to the palace in Baghdad, but this is what I have done. Riots, turmoil, and chaos will surround this palace's destruction, but I say to you this is not the worst you will see. There will be one, who comes after me, far worse than I am. Though I have killed many, I have spared the Buyid ethnicity from total destruction. My successor will have no such mercy. Allah has spoken to me, and though I may die before I can see this successor's reign, you, the Arab people, you, the Turkish people, and the rest of the faithful men and women of Asia shall be taken under my wing. Samarra's palace may have burned today, but under the one I speak to you about the whole of Mesopotamia will burn.
Within the days following the speech, Alp Arslan returned to Baghdad. To the south, a Shia Emirate was formed out of the Shia holy city to the south, the Fatimid Caliphate claimed former Abbasid lands in Syria, and the only true Abbasid state still existing was Samarra, a riot-filled city. No one but the religious body ruled the city, and they knew that, soon enough, Sultan Alp Arslan shall be their new caliph.

*This may seem like a repeat of Ebecen's uncanny ability to not mention the names of poets, but it is true that this poet had no name.
**Better known in Christian lands as, "When the prince wore the king's crown"
***This speech was recorded by Hulusi in his greatest epic, Baghdad Will Burn

Since I'm bored, I have decided to do a small write-up about Harun al-Rashid (for my story - not like it will effect anything - Harun's dead):

Harun al-Rashid: Harun al-Rashid was the last of the Abbasid caliphs. he was the son of Al-Hadi, and he was born in the year 1013. Caliph Al-Hadi died in 1037 due to a high fever at the age of 72, and Harun al-Rashid, though not the rightful heir, seized power for himself. Harun al-Rashid ascended to the throne in 1038 at the age of 25. Against his family's wished, he entered war with the Seljuk tribes after Kurdistan defected to them. Thus began the war that would be his demise. Ultimately, the caliph's plan was to wait for the Buyids and Seljuks to wear each other down, and then strike to reclaim the Iranian Plateau. He was surprised to find the Seljuks, under their warlord Alp Arslan, nephew of Tughril, to obliterate the Buyids. When Arslan became sultan, Harun al-Rashid developed an eating disorder that followed him for the rest of his life. He ultimately ignored the coming storm, however, and focused on diplomacy in the west. When Arslan began to invade Mesopotamia, Harun attempted many suicides, but was each time stopped. When Arslan captured Wasit, Harun sued for peace, and offered territory in northern Mesopotamia, but Arslan continuously declined. When Baghdad was captured by the Seljuks, Harun al-Rashid fled to Samarra. He died in 1074 due to a particularly catastrophic revolt, at the age of 69.

You should do more bios of characters like that.

Chapter 11: The Battle of Al-Kufah

After the fall of the Abbasid Caliphate, Alp Arslan focused toward the Shia Emirate of Kufah. Al-Kufah, the capital of the emirate, was considered, next to Makkah and Medinah, the holy city of Shia Islam. In 1076, less than a year after the fall of the Abbasid Caliphate, Alp Arslan sent Abu Muslim Khorasani and his son, Muhammad Khorasani, to capture the city. Abu followed an old Abbasid road, which led through marshes along the river Euphrates, but there was one problem: the road stopped on the wrong side of the river. Abu would have to lead his men across the river to the city, and that would prove troublesome. But his attack was the first attack, and he had to go through with the mission. Abu worked to create a makeshift bridge, made of firewood, across the Euphrates. Many horses refused to cross. Abu, who didn't want his army to feel discouraged, walked across the bridge himself. He slipped, and as he didn't know how to swim, he drowned in the Euphrates. Wanting to avenge his death, the army willingly crossed the bridge without trouble, and defeated the archers on the western wall. Muhammad Khorasani, as brilliant a strategist as his father ever was, gained the position of High General, and led his forces against the remainder of the archers defending the city. When Al-Kufah was captured, Alp Arslan visited the city and grieved over the death of Abu Muslim Khorasani. A search party was sent out into the Euphrates, but his body was never found. Some say he lived, and was just washed down the river, never to be seen again by Seljuk eyes*.

*The entire theory, presented by Hulusi in his epic, The Fall of Khorasani, consists of this: When Abu fell into the river he removed his armor. The armor sank to the bottom, but Abu floated away, and the army of the Seljuks was too preoccupied to notice. Abu floated into the Persian Gulf, and he eventually was hungry and got out of the water. Here, he became legendary father of the Omani peoples.

Who will you invade next?

Ooh. I might have to redownload SoI soon. Looks fantastic.

SoI really is a great mod. One of the most polished RFC variants. Too bad I didn't get to get a screenshot of the new-and-improved Harun al-Rashid leaderhead.

Top Bottom