Sphere Gems

Verdian

King
Could someone explain what the various gems associated with the magic spheres are? "Opalus Mortis" is mentioned a few times on the forum, but nothing specific (other than it being brought into Erebus made necromancy possible). The fact that a gem can overcome Arawn's mandate like that implies they are fairly strong, and maybe even outside the gods' power.

Also, who are the two brothers that stole the air, water and death gems?

No one knows? Or is it just left over from Kael's old DnD game, and no longer relevant to FFH?

From what I recall they are basically the distilled essence of the planes in which some of the gods stored raw power of creation (pure elemental forces) when the One had allowed them to create the universes. Realizing that once they were done the power of creation would be taken back from them the gods created entire universes of pure element which they could then tap into in order to continue to create in the other universes.

There aren't gems for every one of the elements as I recall, just 4 or so? I believe that it is still relevant to Erebus because as I recall one of them is even in the Pedia entry for one of the Dwarven leaders (they come out of the caves after the Age of Ice, find an encampment where everyone is dead and a strange gem, then are attacked...)

There could be more in the link "World Information Resource" in my sig, but you'd have to dig through a fair amount of material probably to unearth it.

They are the power of creation that Agares stole out of heaven. There was supposed to be 6 of them which lie in the center of those infinite wells of that element that the gods can draw from.

3 of the gems were stolen by men, 3 brothers. Who then went and set themselves up as gods on Erebus, though this hasn't been covered at all in FfH. I think the references started here around the astrological signs that represent the brothers (called 2 brothers by some people because the third star is black and unable to be seen).

The brother that had the death gem, the Opalus Mortis, may have showed up in a few more stories as he was involved in the gate to the underworld in the Shadowed Veil (where Varn is from), and heavily manipulating the events of the Spells of Winter campaign. One of the armageddon spells would kill all members of one race, and he wanted it cast so that he could collect the souls of all that died before they passed into the underworld.

I doubt we will cover this in FfH.

Top Bottom