*Spoiler4* Gotm21-Melee - End Game Submitted

Originally posted by Dynamic
May be I'm the least advanced winner in the game?
OK. I won by Domination in 1040AD with 8659 Firaxis points and 9679 Jason's.;)
Subtle. I almost missed your smiley. Congratulations :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing your replay. I was fighting one or two civs almost continuously from 320 AD and I only reached the point where I could have triggered domination by about 1700 AD. By that time a 100K culture win was also reachable so I went for that instead. I really must start fighting earlier :ar15:.

ptw 1.21 Open

Well, I enjoyed that game a lot and just got it submitted in time.

I was heading towards a space race victory, but by mid-industrial times I realised RL would never give me the time to finish it - stopped my warmongering and beelined for/won a diplo victory in 1385 with 5500ish Firaxis points - shame I didn't get the time, but it was an extra busy month - reckon I needed a good 15-20 extra hours to finish it properly.

It was one of the larger games I've managed to play through to completion - in that I had conquered the German, Minoan and half the Russian territory... lot of cities to manage as well as a lot of other civs to interact with. Saved my game at the point I rushed towards diplo so I can finish it in my own time.

Had a lot of fun with that one and it's whet my appetite for larger maps - thanks to everyone involved in it.

Although the smaller Gotm-22 holds a lot of appeal at the moment :)

Edit: version

Originally posted by Svar

Actually you should be able to start Vikings at midnight tonight. What was that you were saying about sleep?

ANY sleep is more sleep than I've gotten the last 3 months on the last day of the Month! :lol:

I'm glad I didn't take that bet about the UN vote; I built it in 1285, and did win (against Ceasar), but only by 9 to 5 :blush: I didn't take into effect any alliances in play at the time (which are easy enough to break if you have the cash and know who you're going up against!)

Yurian: I like your chart! I believe I entered the Modern Era in 1210, and spent 30 turns to launch in 1380; this leaves 51 turns in the IA, which is two more than I account for, but I may have slowed down one of the researches to give the AI more time to learn something.

Originally posted by Pigumon

Thanks, WD.

It is the latter case. On the very last turn, I have a choice on the product of Athens, which had half built SS party lounge with 81 shield production. So when I left it alone, I could launch spaceship on the next turn. But when I change the products to something else, I could win by culture on the next turn as well.
I deliberately slowed down the last space ship part so that I would get a 100K culture score and a slightly higher Jason result. Does your closer synchronisation mean that your game can get a 100K culture score for GOTM AND be a tournament entry for Space? If so, well done, and I wish I'd thought of it!

By the way, I got a bug after declaration of my cultural win, saying "error; can not find pediatricons.txt > ILOVE_RACE_NEOCHARTAGE" or something like that, and CIV3 was unexpectedly quitted. Does anyone had this?
I mentioned the same problem in my post but no one has picked it up so I assume maybe it's just a Mac thing. I had to edit the PediaIcons.txt file and reload the last save in order to run the victory ceremony. There are lines in the file for the non-standard civs that have been incorrectly entered. They have "LLOVE" instead of "ILOVE" at the start of each line. I changed those to "ILOVE" and it worked. I've raised it with Aeson in a PM, as it also exists in the Mac add-on pack for GOTM22, and as 20K culture is the August target there will be more people trying for it so more are going to see this problem.

I finally finished my marathon session at ~11:00 PM 7/31/03 local time and submitted at 11:23 PM. Records show, however, that I submitted 8/1/03. Hope I get credit....

Anyway, went for a full blown milk run on this one. The large map size was calling out to me. Logged 90 hours (actual) play time on this beast. Multi-condition conquest, domination, space victory in, you guessed it, 2050AD. Conquest official victory. Firaxis score 2****, Jason much less. Looking for the cow award, although very far from a medal.

I reached the domination limit sometime in 1600's, and had eliminated everyone but for 1 mountainous Egyptian city (donated by me of course) sometime in 1700's. I had an ROP with Egypt and had her one city surrounded by 15-20 modern armor units. In 2035AD, Egypt actually had the nerve to demand iron from me!!! I nearly fell off my chair in laughter. Naturally, I gave in to her demands, as I didn't want to risk a war (hapiness and all you understand).

Also, as a personal first for me, I got a great leader in 2049AD, as I was eliminating Egypt. Useless for sure, but cool none the less. The leader, Hector (?), will be there to wave to whomever reviews my save game.

Hergrom

I just barely had time to finish this game. I finished with 20k culture in athens in 1675ad with 20074 culture and 151/turn. I hand built my fp in uskudar(ottomans, sw of sogut). sparta provided population for athens.

My order for early on was:
4x warrior
settler 3000bc
temple 2470bc (pop-rushed 20 shields)
collosus 1625bc
oracle 1075bc
library 1000bc
aquaduct
great library 370bc (golden age, 4 turn anarchy to republic)
cathedral 210bc
colloseum 150bc
hanging gardens 10ad
sistine chapel 350ad
university 440ad
copernicus 580ad
bach's 590ad(leader)
shakespeare's 730ad
newtons 880ad
heroic epic 950ad

In athens i did not build:
pyramids, lighthouse, great wall, leoardo's, suntzu, magellans, smiths trading company, hoover.

Originally posted by AlanH

Subtle. I almost missed your smiley. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Thank you!
I had early war with Minoans but further I play peacefully for a long time. I was starting the next war only when I got Knightes and almost reached Military Tradition.

Originally posted by Dynamic

Thank you!
I had early war with Minoans but further I play peacefully for a long time. I was starting the next war only when I got Knightes and almost reached Military Tradition.
Sounds similar to my sequence. I fought the Minoans early because they had unmitigated gall to move in on *MY* cotton just before I got to it. Then I waited until two turns before Military Tradition before I declared on the Ottomans, and then I didn't stop fighting until about 1650. But your finish date means you probably reached Military Tradition before I was out of the Ancient Age.

Originally posted by AlanH

Sounds similar to my sequence. I fought the Minoans early because they had unmitigated gall to move in on *MY* cotton just before I got to it. Then I waited until two turns before Military Tradition before I declared on the Ottomans, and then I didn't stop fighting until about 1650. But your finish date means you probably reached Military Tradition before I was out of the Ancient Age.

Sorry, I wrote previous letter not correctly. My war with Germany began 200 year before I reached Miltary Tradition in 530AD. But after that I fought all time with 2-3 civs simulteniously. In this game there is rule for me: 50 Cavalries per civ. I had 100-170 cavlries in the battles and could coquer with 2-3 civs in the same time. I used mass upgrade horsemens to cavalries and further was cutting off saltpeter and iron and built new horsemens for upgrade.
In my game almost all conquered civs stayed on the map by remote galleys with settler.:mad:
I never fought with Spain only because trade with them and they are placed farest from me.;)

This is my score graph:

Attachments

• score2.jpg
    score2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 298
Originally posted by acivguy
I just barely had time to finish this game. I finished with 20k culture in athens in 1675ad with 20074 culture and 151/turn. I hand built my fp in uskudar(ottomans, sw of sogut). sparta provided population for athens.

Wow! That was an amazing achievement! Congratulation!:goodjob:

Im new here, and 21 is the first GOTM that I completed and look forward to starting 23. One problem that I had with 21 is everytime I met with Spain, it would crash the game. Any thoughts on what it could be and how to correct it.

Thanks

There was a problem with the file set for GOTM21. You need to find the /Art/Flics/spain.flc file. Make seven copies of it in the same folder, and rename them spain1.flc, spain2.flc, spain3.flc, ..... spain7.flc. Leave the original file there as well.

Do that and relaunch Civ3 and it might fix your problem.

Sorry, I forgot to say "Welcome" to a newbie. I'm still quite new around here myself. I'm sure you'll enjoy the GOTM experience.

I'm a bit surprised that the spain.flc problem still exists in the download files. I guess no one is correcting the old file sets, but you do need a complete valid sequence to play the later games. I lied, spain.flc was originally part of the GOTM19 file set.

What version of Civ3 are you running, and how did you prepare your installation to play GOTM21? If we can identify the offending file set I'll flag it up to the GOTM team and see if we can get it fixed as others will trip over the same problem.

Tell you the truth, Im not sure which one it was. I loaded all of them up to 23 before playing a game.

The problem was that it built folders instead of files. I deleted the folders and created the files and everything is working fine now.

Thanks

Top Bottom