Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

I'm trying to get back into basketball but after being sedentary for so long I can barely play for a full minute before having a take a rest, and I'm all wiped out after five to ten minutes. How can I ever get good again if I can't do it longer?

I'm trying to get back into basketball, but after being sedentary for so long I can barely play for a full minute before having a take a rest, and I'm all wiped out after five to ten minutes. How can I ever get good again if I can't do it longer?

Don't play sports as a way to recover prior physique. Sports are great for maintaining and building upon physique once you already have a bare minimum. But without that bare minimum, you'll toil at a plateau or a superbly slow incline.

Do cardio and stretches for a couple months first. After that you should be at a level where you can recreationally play basketball and not be absolutely tanked after a minute.

I'm trying to get back into basketball but after being sedentary for so long I can barely play for a full minute before having a take a rest, and I'm all wiped out after five to ten minutes. How can I ever get good again if I can't do it longer?
Compounding interest on total seconds playable.

You should do some sort of high intensity type of cardio rather than a steady state cardio like running. Try something like jump rope, kettlebell swings or burpees.

I need to get back into it! I've had a bit of a year off, for a variety of reasons, and I'm looking forward to working out with more regularity in the new year. Of course the hardest time will be the start so, any good suggestions for getting back to it?

What I do when I go back to lifting after a break of more than a few weeks: GSLP.

Ideally three times per week, two compound lifts each time, one for upper body (alternating bench and overhead press) and one for lower body (squat twice, deadlift once).

Week 1:
Bench & squat
Press & deadlift
Bench & squat

Week 2:
Press & squat
Bench & deadlift
Press & squat

3x5 (except 1x5 for deadlift) with the last set taken to AMRAP.

As long as you do get at least 5 reps on the last set, increase weight for next workout, by the smallest convenient increment. If you can't get that, reset weight by about 10% and start building back up. Repeat until you can no longer progress, or until bored.

Add some pulling (I like to do a vertical pull supersetted with press, and a horizontal pull supersetted with bench) and maybe some minor hypertrophy and conditioning/cardio stuff, and you're good to go for a long while.

Took an unscheduled four-hour walk to my roommate's workplace and then back to my house yesterday after locking myself out.

Made some small various liftage progress this year. Very minor, but I'm happy with it. Also made some progress on stamina training, definitely gained some ground there.

About to close a splendid year were I've cut 36kg of body weight without losing much muscle mass thanks to trusting my exercise plan and diet to an expert (former competitive bodybuilder). Right now I'm 88kg and 177cm tall, which means I've a BMI (great tool if you're losing excess weight) of 28,09, which means that I'm still overweight but fortunately far away from the 39.58 BMI I started this year with.

Right now I've a 20% body fat and my goal for 2018 is to cut down to one digit percent (9.9% is the minimum to consider this a success). That means I'll have to lose about 10kg of pure fat in much harder conditions to burn fat than before as my body will burn more lean mass as my fat reserves decrease.

I'll have to step up my cardio and be willing to sacrifice more lean mass along the way if I want to reach my goal but once I reach the one digit goal I'll start a bulking plan to recover all the lost muscle. Gotta give everything for the goal!

I just discovered the Wim Hof method, the breathing technique that sounds exactly like a typical alternative medicine scam but somehow isn't. But if it actually works, why don't militaries and personal trainers teach it? I think it would be a lot more well-known?

I just discovered the Wim Hof method, the breathing technique that sounds exactly like a typical alternative medicine scam but somehow isn't. But if it actually works, why don't militaries and personal trainers teach it? I think it would be a lot more well-known?
I hate breathwork/hyperventilation but I felt good after doing the wimhoff method, problem is I find it very unpleasant to do so not motivated to continue plus I don't have my own copy of the audio files and not going to pay for it

Hmm, anyone here actually try the stuff like jogging in snow in your undies?

Hmm, anyone here actually try the stuff like jogging in snow in your undies?
I'll always want at least one thin layer on if doing some outside cardio during winter. If not I'll get cold. If it's cold and I get the clothing spot on I can keep sweating down to almost none. Although I'll got to keep moving then.

You guys realize I am talking about the Wim Hof method, right?

Wim Hof is legit.

Top Bottom