Starting a band

tpasmall

Dark Lord Of The Sith
A few of my friends and I are starting a band. We're going to be a punk band, with some harder elements, similar to like Finch, or Thursday. While I myself dont play an instrument in the band, my friends that do (with the exception of the bassist) have been playing for a long time and are really good at their instruments. Something I was wondering though, is for other people that have bands, who do you have write music? I mean I've tried to write some lyrics (im the lead vocalist) and Im absolutely terrible at it. Just wondering if there is a method or anything that you guys use to put songs together....

On a site note: Our bands name at this point is undecided, but we're thinking of going with the name Plus Suffix, which I just came up with out of nowhere, go figure. :D :band:

My own band's philosophy about writing songs is basically whatever works. Simply put, there is no "wrong" way to write a song if the end result is a song.

Sometimes, I'll have vocals/lyrics, and maybe even an idea on how to sing them, so the music is written around that melody.

Other times, I have just a cool bass part, or guitar part, and we go from there.

Sometimes, we just jam and hit record, coming back later to pick and choose to build a song.

The process just goes on and on, so whatever combination works for you is cool. Don't be confined and let yourself fall into a rut that there are only specific ways of writing, because writing music should be free from constraints. Be bold and experimental and without boundries, and you will do great.

Another thing worth mentioning is objective criticism of each other's ideas. Always try to avoid egos, as the best songs are usually group efforts. Even drummers and singers should have equal say, because all of you are wanting what is best for your band.

As far as your name, my own opinion is that you should find something that is simple, one or two syllables, and memorable. Plus Suffix is cool, but hard to remember. You really want to find a name that people remember the first time, if possible.

Good luck, and, most importantly, HAVE FUN!! :)

I got your name.

"The Hovitos"!

DB is right, I'd go with something short and memorable. "Plus Suffix" is almost too weird. It sounds like you are trying to be weird with it. Forced weirdness.

If I had a band, here's some names I'd mull over:

"Herr Mack", "The Dirty Mops", "D-Cup" (or a variation), or "Kong"

I feel like everything today is punk, and its the minority of bands that aren't. So does that make bands other than "punk" ones the punks? BTW i'm not old (i was envsioning some old geezer yelling about 'all the racket' lol" I like some punk, but i like slower stuff, like radiohead.

You're probably thinking of "Green Day punk," which is really just crap.

Just call yourself a rock and roll band. Punk is old hat.

Top Bottom