1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Scirocco16V, Nov 15, 2013.

1. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Yes, most of us know that but the Simplified Chinese seems to be "unused". If that's the case, then I have no clue what the "Chinese" depot is.

Anyway, back on topic. Bison could literally mean anything. When I first heard about BNW, I immediately thought to myself, the New World! Apparently, there were only 2 civs that were from the New World. So Bison could be a clue to a native plains tribe, but Firaxis might stump us and add a completely different civilization that has nothing to do with bisons, or a scenario about the natives of America before Columbus (or after).

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

According to wikipedia, there are about 55 native Haida speakers left in the world, unfortunately. I had some cool ideas for them as well, but it might not be practicable. However, the Tlingit are a bit better in finding speakers.

3. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Seeing as there was Simplified Chinese on the list, perhaps Firaxis is expanding the linguistic range of the game further, and the "Bison" depot is just translating Civ V into Bison?

4. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

That's true and probably lends more credence to a Pacific Northwest amalgamation type of civ for the area.

5. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

My hope: The Simplified Chinese depot is some sort of code-word for a DLC with new southeast Asia civ(s) (well, that region WAS once known as Indochina...) Firaxis is hoping to surprise us by making us think it's just a dull translation of the game into Chinese.
    Reality: It's just a dull translation of the game into Chinese.

...Something tells me @Viregel is right about the Bison DLC...

6. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

i'm starting to think that the Chinese thing is to be a civ 5 translation to Chinese and the Bison is probably a code name for a DLC. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will include anything interesting :(

Just of fun: :D:D:D:D

7. jddods

jddods Prince

For some if us new DLC civs are interesting, even if they are recyled civs from previous civ versions.
    My bet is it will contain Plains Native Americans but hoping for Hittites or Timurids.
    Will buy right away as long as we get civ or senario.

8. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Or it could be a blatant. We will never know, until they release info on it.

9. Reno Lam

Reno Lam Chieftain

The Chinese thing is the (traditional) Chinese translation of the game. Yes, it exists. By the same vein, the simplified Chinese thing is most likely the simplified Chinese translation of the game. Boringly so, unfortunately.

10. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, to be fair, it wasn't likely they'd release two new civs at the same time. Bison could still be a civ.

If I understand correctly, it's probably related to mainland China vs. Taiwan. One uses traditional Chinese characters more, while the other uses simplified characters.

11. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Prince

This is a mechanic in the Civilization board game. Scouts can be used to send the yield of a neutral (or enemy) tile on which they are stationed to one of the their cities. It's a REALLY cool mechanic!

12. SemperFi2382

SemperFi2382 Mitten Marauder

Wasn't that the colony mechanic from CivIII? It's been awhile since I played that one.

13. georgie

georgie Warlord

Similar. You could send a worker to a non-claimed tile to get the resource. It would create a colony, and, IIRC, would expend the worker.

14. SemperFi2382

SemperFi2382 Mitten Marauder

Thanks, I knew it was something like that.

I actually kind of miss that mechanic. All too often there is like a lone source of Iron or other vital strategic resource that is just "too far" to justify building a city for, and it would be nice to have "territory disputes" over colonies a tad too close to an opponent.

As a side note, any know if that is moddable, or if there's a good mod that implements this?

15. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Prince

In Civ III, the colony was permanent (I think it turned into a fort or something if someone's cultural borders expanded over it).

In the board game, the Scout automatically sends the yield of a tile to a city of your chosing at the start of a turn. This includes neutral/unclaimed tiles AND tiles owned by other civs. In addition, any resources on that tile become accessible to the city. Unlike the Civ III colony, the Scout is free to move to a different tile every turn.

In effect, the Scout figure in the board game works as an explorer (revealing new map tiles), a cowboy/prospector ("herding" tile yields to your cities), and a pseudo-spy ("stealing" tile yields from your enemies). So they are very versatile pieces that remain useful throughout the entire game! Unlike the Scouts in Civ V...:crazyeye: I would love to see a mechanic like this implemented in the PC game. Scouts really need to be made more useful in the later phases of the game.

Time for shameless self-promotion! I have a review of the board game on my personal blog:
    http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2011/04/09/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-board-game-review.aspx
    Feel free to check it out if you're interested. There's also a review for the first expansion to the board game. I own the second expansion but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

16. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Or you could build a Feitoria.

17. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I want to share something with you guys. So, I went to the steam link on the first page and clicked on the Bison depot.

http://steamdb.info/app/266720/

If you enter that link, you'll see that there is a list called "Packages that include this app". It has 6 items, three of them were updated some hours ago. I clicked on them, and two of them seem to have a restriction for purchase in some countries. See here:

http://steamdb.info/sub/36076/

This one is restricted to 15 countries, and, coincidentaly, they are the ex-members of the USSR. Are we getting somewhere? I'm not sure about how all this Depot thing works, but this information intrigued me a bit. Could it be possible that they are creating a USSR DLC and avoiding to sell it on the countries that formerly took part of it? The other item is only restricted to two countries: Taiwan and India. I don't understand what does all of it means, but... maybe this is promising and I'm unaware of. What do you all think?

18. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

That same item has two weird parameters:
    billing type - Proof of Prepurchase Only
    codeclass - Steam 2010 Key

Does this mean that only the people who preordered Civ 5 will get this?

19. bevelnator

bevelnator Chieftain

The 15 ex members of the USSR? What kind of dlc is this going to be?

20. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

Introduce the USSR into the game, perhaps? Is Stalin treated in Russia the same way that Hitler is treated in Germany?