Strange Civic-Civ Combos

We've gone through those unusual religion-civ combos, but we've largely hit many of the usual unusual mixes therein. One field we haven't touched on, and one with far more variety thanks to the magnitudes of combinations, is civics.

I'm having fun, for example, with a 'evil' Grigori play through. Forming the Undercouncil with Auric to strike against those goody-gody theists before they do the same to us agnostics is an unusual take on the Grigori. Adopting slavery is another, even if it's 'only' so those peoples can prosper under enlightened Grigori leadership. Need slaves to let the philosopher kings philosophize, after all...

So, what are some interesting/fun/just plain weird combos you've seen, played as, or just like to imagine?

Infernal - Republic: The Demo(no)cratic Republic of Infernalia.

Calabim - Republic: The Calabim liberalize their policy towards humans a bit. Of course, the Vampires are still are the only ones who are allowed to be elected to significant posts.

Adopting slavery is another, even if it's 'only' so those peoples can prosper under enlightened Grigori leadership. Need slaves to let the philosopher kings philosophize, after all...

Yeah, something like slavery in ancient Greece. I'd expect that under Grigori slavery slave labour will be used much more in the city crafts - Cassiel likes free common farmers, after all. You don't even need any "kings" for that - the existence of slavery and limited liberalism towards non-slaves are not contradictory.

God King - with anything but Illians and Kurios I interpret this as more like "Divine Mandate". Grigori - God King presents certain problems, though.

I could actually see a Calabim Republic, but something like the later Roman Republic, where only the rich elite could actually afford to run. And regardless of who 'won', Alexis and Flauros always remain a true power behind the throne because they can black mail any Calabim elite.

Slavery - Kuriotates is an odd combination, what could be the justification for that one?

Slavery - Kuriotates is an odd combination, what could be the justification for that one?

Good leaders are blocked from adopting Slavery, Cardith'll have to corrupt himself before he can institute Slavery in his realm.

for god-king grigori: cassiel takes a more direct role in the running of the grigori

Elohim - Sacrifice The Weak

Again, needs a religion-induced corruption. Since I see Elohim - AV as wanting to end the world because of all the suffering it contains, it's easy to rationalize evil practices "For The Greater Good".

Grigori - Theocracy: Militant Atheism. The resulting Great Prophets preach about how all gods suck.

Clan of Embers - Republic

"I promise you my fellow clansmen that when I am elected president, everybody will get beer and a fully-paid warren hole."

Calabim - Republic: The Calabim liberalize their policy towards humans a bit. Of course, the Vampires are still are the only ones who are allowed to be elected to significant posts.

That happened once in FFH NES.

Those were good stories.

A Rome-like Calabim Republic does not seem that odd to me. I'd imagine Vampirism would be a precondition for citizenship, but that there would be increased social mobility so that humans slaves could earn or purchase their freedom and maybe even "the gift."

How about, Sheaim - Guardian of Nature. Guardian of Nature is also a bit misfitting for the dwarves (both kinds), who tend to believe in progression and development, and would probably view protection of woodland and so on as stagnating. Who wants of forest in a prime mining location? Who wants a forest when you can have a legion of woodgolems...

A Rome-like Calabim Republic does not seem that odd to me. I'd imagine Vampirism would be a precondition for citizenship, but that there would be increased social mobility so that humans slaves could earn or purchase their freedom and maybe even "the gift."

I love this one. :goodjob:

How about, Sheaim - Guardian of Nature. Guardian of Nature is also a bit misfitting for the dwarves (both kinds), who tend to believe in progression and development, and would probably view protection of woodland and so on as stagnating. Who wants of forest in a prime mining location? Who wants a forest when you can have a legion of woodgolems...

well for Sheaim the Guardian of Nature bit could be a twist on 'survival of the fittest.' with kilmorph being the god of earth its not too much of a stretch to think the forests need to be preserved. ecosystems are all connected. for luchuirp, another way to rationalize it would be to say that they need to preserve the forests so that they won't go extinct. extinct forests means no more wood golems. of course, it's kinda funny to imagine dwarves getting as PO'd as an elf about trees getting cut down

The survival of the fittest view of Guardians of Nature fits the Calabim well, but not really the Sheaim. Their goal is to destroy the world, not simply dominate it.

I have a somewhat hard time seeing the Khazad valuing nature that much, but the Luchuirp strike me as much more respectful of nature. Additionally, while Kilmorph has always been jealous of Sucellus, the Luchuirp patron goddess Nantosuelta is in love with him.

Kilmorph is jealous of Succellus? Why?

I see another Magister Cultuum post coming up...

Well, there is nothing in the current 'pedia about it and it could have been retconned out, but the entry on the old Earth II summon (called something like "kukijub" although I forget what it was exactly) said that Kilmorph was jealous of the ability to create life and is rumored to have made those mobile, rocky, pseudo-lifeforms in an attempts to compete with him.

Edit: Ah, I found the quote now. It seems my memory was not perfect. It doesn't say that she was jealous of Sucellus, but that storytellers (which may simply mean the bards allied with the Fellowship of the Leaves) claim she was jealous of the things under Cernunnos's precept.

TXT_KEY_UNIT_KIKIJUB_PEDIA said:
Storytellers have said Kilmorph is secretly jealous of the varied marvels under the purview of Cernunnos, god of nature. Stonewardens would give them an earful on the wonders of the earth, and the necessity of tender care applied to its form and functions to allow for the possibility, let alone sustenance of life. The Kikijub, however, lends some credulous to these stories. Spontaneously emerging from stone outcroppings, these stone creatures can take myriad shapes, though they usually imitate a living creature, from scurrying lizards, to shambling bears, though human shapes are most common. What is undeniable is the damage an angered Kikijub will do, regardless of heavy armor or tight formations.

Top Bottom