Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

@DH

I was looking though my attachments and I have a lot of animals still left taking up space. Are you ever going to add them to the mod?

- Secretary Bird
- Caiman
- Opossum
- Armadillo
- Ethiopian Wolf
- Fennec Fox
- Arctic Fox
- Dingo
- Dhole
- Fruit Bat
- Jungle Scorpion
- Desert Scorpion
- Cave Scorpion
- Tarantula

Note I do not think you should wait for the whole GEM solution anymore. Otherwise you will be waiting indefinitely for that to be fixed.

They will get done, it just takes about 1-2 hours for each especially when it also means changing the spawn regions on other animals.

the GEM problem is now also the Americas problem now those three new maps have been posted. I can't see a solution happening soon. It requires a coordinated effort to do and broad knowledge to come up with a solution in the first place. :(

the GEM problem is now also the Americas problem now those three new maps have been posted. I can't see a solution happening soon. It requires a coordinated effort to do and broad knowledge to come up with a solution in the first place. :(

I would NOT worry at the present for GEM, let the makers of that map worry about it, not the regular modders at the present.:mischief:

btw DH i forwarded all the PM's to everyone.

mod boss, NICE!!!:goodjob:;)

It would be helpfull if there was a way to tell a scenario / map where which coordinate would be. I'm not sure how to say that, but do you know what I mean?

Like for the GEM you could say: Set 0° Lenght through tiles Y40. Start North with 70° on tiles X0 and South 40° on the tiles X50.

For the North American Map you could say:

Y0 should be (I have no idea...) 60° West and Y60 (the max value) should be 20° West.

Then you would not ned to adjust your spawn info (which uses coordinates IIRC). This system would also be extremely usefull for the 3 planets maps.

It would be helpfull if there was a way to tell a scenario / map where which coordinate would be. I'm not sure how to say that, but do you know what I mean?

Like for the GEM you could say: Set 0° Lenght through tiles Y40. Start North with 70° on tiles X0 and South 40° on the tiles X50.

For the North American Map you could say:

Y0 should be (I have no idea...) 60° West and Y60 (the max value) should be 20° West.

Then you would not ned to adjust your spawn info (which uses coordinates IIRC). This system would also be extremely usefull for the 3 planets maps.

The maps already can say what their top and bottom map edge latitudes are but they can't say what their left and right edges are in longitude.

What is needed is some way for these to be set in the map definition. I have no idea what that definition is or how it is stored.

The spawn process then needs to take these longitudes into consideration when doing its thing. Both are probably dll work.

The maps already can say what their top and bottom map edge latitudes are but they can't say what their left and right edges are in longitude.

What is needed is some way for these to be set in the map definition. I have no idea what that definition is or how it is stored.

The spawn process then needs to take these longitudes into consideration when doing its thing. Both are probably dll work.

It just occurred to me that this could be done, even in python. They way you explained it made sudden sense HOW. So the Y value of the plot is the up and down and the X value is the side to side, starting at 0 and counting over. So all we need to do to define the longitude itself is to divide (roughly) the total X value of the map by 36 (I think) to get the # of tiles per 10 degrees of longitude, then code the math to assign a longitude value to a plot. However, isn't the longitude already calculated somewhere? Aren't we already using it for spawns, even expressing it on the plot help? Is it just that the value isn't available for py use?

Tell ya what... I've just hit on an idea as to how I can figure out where to find that (go from the plot help and track it to the right variable.) Once found, I'll see what's being done for it in python and if you need the variable exposed there I will and if it already is I'll let you know. Then we'll probably need to setup a function to recalibrate the longitude based on a plot selection so that it can be called in the worldbuilder with a python action button that then has us select a plot to consider the 0 pt for longitude even though it may differ from the 0 pt of x itself... an offset point as it were. That should give map builders some capability to set that so that it works with the spawn mechanism just right.

But to complete the project it'd take your help on the world builder python and action button I think.

The problem is that the left edge of the map is west 180 degrees and the right edge 180 degrees East. Always!

Unfortunately on the GEM map and the Americas maps it should not be. There is no way to set what the east and west side of the map are. However you can define the north and south edges.

The makers of Civ IV did not consider differences east and west only those based on distance away from the equator.

Currently animal spawn is the only thing that uses longitude although we would like it for resources also eventually. Animal spawn is defined in the XML and used in the dll.

What about having a table on each map that says:

Code:
X0 = 80°N
X1 = 75°N
X2 = 70°N
X3 = 65°N
X90 = 70°S

Y0 = 180°W
Y1 = 170°W
Y2 = 160°W
Y36 = 180°E

This seems a little complicated / annying to code for every scenario but allows much more freedom. And it could be used for 3 Planets maps, too! You could set X0 to X20 from 80°N to 80°S and X30 to X50 from 80°N to 80°S as well, generating two planets with 10 tiles space in between. This would be really awesome!

No changes have been made to spawning in quite a while.

OK about ten turns later they started the usual spawning, it must take a break when so many turns or something then start again?? Oh well, all is well again, thx.:)

The problem is that the left edge of the map is west 180 degrees and the right edge 180 degrees East. Always!

Unfortunately on the GEM map and the Americas maps it should not be. There is no way to set what the east and west side of the map are. However you can define the north and south edges.

The makers of Civ IV did not consider differences east and west only those based on distance away from the equator.

Currently animal spawn is the only thing that uses longitude although we would like it for resources also eventually. Animal spawn is defined in the XML and used in the dll.
hmm... ok, I'll try to find how it's all defined and generate a means to reset it, provided it doesn't cause some weird issues which I somewhat suspect it could so it'll take some looking out for problems.

What about having a table on each map that says:

Code:
X0 = 80°N
X1 = 75°N
X2 = 70°N
X3 = 65°N
X90 = 70°S

Y0 = 180°W
Y1 = 170°W
Y2 = 160°W
Y36 = 180°E

This seems a little complicated / annying to code for every scenario but allows much more freedom. And it could be used for 3 Planets maps, too! You could set X0 to X20 from 80°N to 80°S and X30 to X50 from 80°N to 80°S as well, generating two planets with 10 tiles space in between. This would be really awesome!
N/S is Y. W/E is X. And it would vary by the # of tiles how many degrees to each plot.

N/S is Y. W/E is X. And it would vary by the # of tiles how many degrees to each plot.

Yeah, I confused X and Y sorry. And just it is now the case doesn't mean it has to stay. If it is easier if you just say: X0 = 60°W and Xn=20°W and the rest is calculated by the map itself, then ok.

I've got a game going where no aurochs have spawned. I've cheated and looked around in the world builder, and I'm just not seeing any out there. I checked around in the files, but couldn't find where the spawn requirements were either. Can someone point me in the right direction to help figure out why they're not showing up?

They should be spawning on cattle resources. In the XML/Units folder the CIV4SpawnInfos.XML file contains the spawn details. They are just UNIT_COW.

With the new tech tree I am looking at completely redoing the Myths. I a returning to their original intent of providing a science boost in the later stone age to classic eras.

There will be fewer Myths but you will get them from combat, win or lose. They all go obsolete at Writing (or maybe Taxonomy) except the elemental (Earth, Air and Water) and special ones. I may replace the Paleolithic Myths with Tales etc.. The myths of Phoenix, Mermaid, Dragon and Unicorn will remain the same.

You will be able to use the subdued animals to build Tales (at Oral Tradition) in every city they provide a little bit of Education and Culture. They upgrade (at various domestication techs) to Stories using the animal or a story teller. At Taxonomy you can upgrade them to Legends. None of these go obsolete and these are the buildings used to hasten other buildings.

All the Military Standard buildings are also being reviewed.

I am also looking at ways to replace the Animal Tamer buildings. perhaps by National Wonders or buildings that act as National Wonders but aren't. For example If you build the Bear Trainer wonder then instead of automatically being able to build the bear units anywhere you need to build a Bear Heritage building (with three subdued bears, one Great Hunter of by :hammers:) to be allowed to.

Something is completely screwed with the SA lately?? I can only get Lions, tigers, and bears (Oh my) plus panthers, to the capital, nothing else subdued goes there?? Plus i now fought in over 300 animals battles and have only seen the subdued part 3 times?? And that is with a tracker, which is supposed to have better subdued parts.

Just isn't much fun when you cant subdue animals:(

Animal units probably shouldn't talk when you select them. I still enjoy it if ever I click on a Maori (they use Inca-language audio I believe) Subdued Jaguar/Tiger/etc., and it says (what sounds like): "I EAT YOU!!" in that urgent earnest tone they use and what sounds to me like a Zulu accent...:lol:

Top Bottom