Succession game anyone?

I still think the place I marked is the best alternative ;)

I think Q's c1 site is fine:

1. It can start to grow on a 6/0/1 tile and our worker can improve the floodplains.
2. We are close to Aristocracy so we want more farms anyway.
3. Cahir Abbey is at the happy cap and can afford to give away the 6/0/1 tile for now. Eventually the capital will need the food-rich tile back.
4. Cahir Abbey is going to pop borders on the next turn, which will bring 2 hills into c1's range. That means c1 can concentrate on growing and building warriors for a while, doesn't need a monument for a long time.

I think our next tech should be mining, to reveal copper and start improving our hills. I think we should also re-evaluate where to put c2.

While I get the c1 town placement, I still like where I plotted c2 by the lake. We don't give up any flood plains, it asserts our northern presence, and by the time we build it we will have or be close to having religion for the culture.

Are you talking about the 8 flood lake city? Why do you want to settle so far away?

I don't usually go with as much overlap as Q, but I always found new cities where they are touching existing culture. With MNAI you can't really culture block the AI and then try to backfill. They'll just send a stack of 20 CR2 axemen and then you're dead.

Yeah I'd rather settle a FP then that site.
It also blocks the cities I was planning on the hills up there (to serve as a long-term border and killing zone for sheaim troops).

I think I'd go for the site 2south of that.

Is it really that far away? It won't take long for our borders to merge, and if you are worried about a SoD making it that close to our capital, we have other issues going on. Also the need to share the developed floodplain is lessened.

It doesn't matter what you pick, I want to learn how you guys play.

Its seven tiles from the cap, which is 4 turns even with roads.
It'll have to wait AT LEAST 3 turns for improved tiles (assuming 2 workers start work immediately), and would require ~5 turns walking into the fog.
Plus I think it hurts a bunch of other cities for little gain.

What do you mean by "the need to share...is lessoned" BTW?

I prefer the white spot for our first city. As it can work the gold.

Next city I could see having one two the southwest. Gold and very good production. Or the c1 spot.

I will send out some warriors to spawn bust to the south and a couple to grab the village to the north.

I think the tech path should be code of laws, exploration, mysticism, crafting, mining, philosophy. Once we have mysticism we will build a temple and run a priest. The great prophet will then be used to bulb priesthood. Then we conquer the world.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 88
Firstly, no it can't work the gold.
We won't be building a monument there (plenty of good first ring tiles) so it won't be getting culture till religion.
I don't have any general objection to that site over c1, though I do think it has worse c2 possibilites.

As for the south, once more I feel you're overvaluing the second ring - there are no good first ring tiles there, and no food until AH/sanitation.
Besides which we want ti focus on the north to grab the lush land and establish a border.

What do you mean by priesthood (won't it bulb RoK)?
How would PH conquer the world?

he wants to lightbulb early monks, but yeah those are not so hot unless you're spiritual and priesthood before having a religion is meh. I think the prophet would bulb priesthood over RoK, priesthood is probably #1 in its priorities.

I meant if we settle c2 second (that's what you meant right?) then we will be able to give it a FP farm of its own. Settling that close does help with early defense, however. At what point do you stop building cities that share tiles? After the first ring, or until you stop settling?

Do we need philosophy and priesthood before WotE? I was thinking Code of Laws -> Exploration -> Crafting -> Mining -> Mysticism -> Way of the Earthmother.

Folket,

I think that southern cow+dye city will eventually be pretty good. In the short term, it is going to struggle to grow because it has no good food source except for the grassland cow (from Cahir Abbey's border pop). The main reason to settle it in the near term would be to get the dye to raise our happy caps, but we can't do that until bronze working anyway.

I think you guys are underrating that c1 site. In the short term it can work 2 FPs and 2 mines. In the long term it has 5 FPs of its own plus all those deserts will be springed and turned into workshops. The mines will be windmilled unless we have a lot of earth mana.

I agree with Q in that we should focus on the north as the land there is better. I'd favor settling on the river's southern bank to get fresh water and work the gold immediately.

There is no real need to stop having overlap. When I started out I used to work on getting a perfectly planned, fully built up empire. Then you eventually start wars and pick up the AIs weirdly placed cities anyway.

So now I just focus on what is going to help me get ahead right now. If I have a suboptimal city placement that gets me gold in the fat cross right away, that means maybe I save 4 turns getting to sanitation, which means I get my next round of settlers out faster, which means I have more markets up faster, which means I beat the AI to Esus and Poisons, which means I have assassins out first, which means I get Aeron's Chosen, etc..

I meant if we settle c2 second (that's what you meant right?) then we will be able to give it a FP farm of its own. Settling that close does help with early defense, however. At what point do you stop building cities that share tiles? After the first ring, or until you stop settling?

Do we need philosophy and priesthood before WotE? I was thinking Code of Laws -> Exploration -> Crafting -> Mining -> Mysticism -> Way of the Earthmother.

Honestly?
Never ;)
In Ffh the mechanics are very much in favor of spamming cities (bunch of trade routes, any tile can become 3/0/2) and I've just never reaches the point where its felt unnesecqry.

We don't need PH and tbh I think it can wait a while.

When we agree on city placement and tech path.

I think we should get early monk. Monks are really overpowered. We will have strength 6, 2 move units while our opponents will have strength 3-5, 1 move units.

As for WotE. It will give us 1 gold a city for an investment of 60 hammers per city and a one time investment of 600 beakers. We are better of getting elder councils or markets. they will give us 2 return for 60 hammers and a one time investment of 269. Perhaps a rush to get the shrine and hope others will get RoK as well might pay off but it is not certain.

While getting a huge military advantage will always pay off.

I agree we can settle c1 first. It will have 2 hills and 3 flood plains. I'm not that convinced that monuments are a bad idea.

We won't get beyond CoL with your turnset, nor c1 (which was the general consensus IIRC).
If we do we know its exploration->crafting->mining
If you can get a settler out then just finish there (I doubt you can though).
WotE gives more then that, which we can discuss later.
Our economy would be unable to support a monk rofl stomp, even if it is possible.
Its a advantage that dissapers quickly.
We shouldnt be aggresive until we've got "our" land filled and a source of collateral. Short - term military should be defensive in nature.

I prefer mysticism before exploration still to get our great people coming. I will play until I finished code of laws tonight.

Top Bottom