Succession game anyone?

There is no basic link on the first page. But I'm taking a wild guess.

More Naval AI 2.41?

I meant the first page of the MNAI thread.
Yes probably.

Its on 'About this Mod' as oppose to the 'More Naval AI thread' but ... its still a sticky on the More Naval AI subforum, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

and yes, 2.41

there is a link to 2.4 (old version) on the MNAI thread, but only on 'About this mod' is there a link to 2.41.

Erm that means I'm probably playing 2.4 :/

=(, perhaps we can recreate with a 2.41 game?

The saves are compatible between versions. No need to start again, just upgrade to 2.4.1.

Cool.
Sorry guys :(

Updated the report.
As it turns out I'd downloaded 2.41 anyway :huh:
So save should be fine.

Yo, sorry I just got back to the thread. I see I'm up next, do I have to do the round tonight or can I play it tomorrow? And how many turns do I play for?

Hey, I have to head out right now. I'll try to be back on later tonight and review the game progress. What is the map type? What's our general strategy/victory conditions/constraints?

We have to eliminate Sheaim, Illian and clan right?

Whenever :)
You've got 20 turns.
We're on a erebuscontinent with everything default apart from high cohesion/low sea level.
Variant is war with anyone evil, no initiating diplo/negotiating with neutral, victory is open with perhaps a lean to altar.
We have to kill all evil civs - we know the clan/sheaim are in game, but not sure about illians . I think we should look at heading up the arcane line for collateral ( we obviousit shouldn't research necromancy).

Thanks. Do we have to stay good alignment, or can we go OO for Corlindale+Stygians at Fanaticism?

edit - also, what's the plan with dotmaps etc? Are we shooting for an early war with axes or do we want to fill up all our land? Also, Einion Logos is a defender so if we cannot use OO... I think we should go for horses to abuse 85% flanking 6 str horse archers in the midgame. Get RoK and use Stonewardens for the +10% buff.

How far away are the Clan and Sheiam? Clan being in the games is great, can't wait to get some of their cities and use them to pump military. Actually if we can get their cities we could consider staying RoK and avoiding Fanaticism to keep Soldiers of Kilmorph available.

I'd say we have to stay good, and was generally planning to defend until mages.
Clan are close by, sheaim a decent distance away.
Hadn't thought of that - how do you get 85%? (i.e. do we need to upgrade?)

Ok, here is where I am taking over:

Some observations:

1. Q has found us a very nice capital. We have Dragon Bones, Yggdrasil, and a plains hill start. Dragon Bones+Incense will give us a good tech pace early. Main problems: no fresh water, 2 peaks and a useless ocean tile in the fat cross. Not a big deal, 3 wasted tiles won't matter as we'll probably move our capital to a city with a better palace. We also have +2 happy from the features.

2. We are already at war with the Sheaim (WTF?) but luckily they are far away and Elohim are a hard counter to them. I think Arcane for collateral is a risky choice, as fireballs won't do much against PZs. I think it may be better to go for Poisons+Priesthood to get Devouts-->Stonewardens with Destroy Undead. I still think we should try to tech AH at some point to see if we have horses nearby, and if we do, go for Defender horse archers as our midgame army.

3. Q has already set us up with a good path to Aristocracy. There are a lot of rivers and potential good city sites. I would normally go with God King or mining at this point to get more warriors and settlers out quickly, but we are far from any neighbors and have a lot of room to expand. Maybe it's better to get to Aristofarms first and then power through the tech tree and backfill at the same time.

4. Q pointed out Clan far to our east.

5. Tomb of Sucellus and Standing Stones are nearby, as is a raw mana node. We are looking at 6 manas pretty early, although few for the useful towers (Divination and Necromancy.) We also ruled out researching necromancy, I believe. Strangely, there is a premade Fire node far to our north. The Sheaim have Letum Frigus. Water mana will be good to improve our land. Nature mana will be good when we have Devouts. Spirit mana has useful buffs and also opens Shrine of Sirona. Life we actually don't need, because we have Devouts. Earth I have found to be of dubious value other than the passive--the spells seem pretty useless to me, except for when playing Amurites who can actually use Stoneskin on their core army units. We will probably go for Body and Fire manas on our first 2 raw nodes. Those will put us close to Tower of Alteration and Elementalism, though whether those are worth investing in or not is an open question.

Now some questions:

a) I am cool with Education-->Code of Laws as our next techs. Does anyone know if Mining or Mysticism gets you settlers out faster in a REX situation?
b) Why are the next 2 city sites placed so close together? There's a lot of overlap with the main and especially for city 2, we don't have the gold and oasis in the first ring.
c) My plan is to spam warriors until we hit the happy cap, then start a settler, as Q suggested.

edit - I'll play the next 20 turns sometime tomorrow. I'd like to hear what others have to say on these, my favorite part of SGs is the discussion. I learn a lot debating the pros and cons of different moves.

I'd say we have to stay good, and was generally planning to defend until mages.
Clan are close by, sheaim a decent distance away.
Hadn't thought of that - how do you get 85%? (i.e. do we need to upgrade?)

Yeah. HAs are 35% base, +10% defender. Flanking I and II get you to 85%. I do this almost every game as Sidar.

We really only need Apprenticeship to make this work. With Flanking I a horse archer has 55% or 65% withdrawal, and 6 base strength. They get to 5 xp really fast, and from there you don't lose a lot of fights.

Elohim will be really fun in this game, we'll get to micro a lot playing 20 turns each and use a lot of different units from other civs.

edit - with upgrades you can actually get to 95%. You start with a unit that has 25% flanking like a horseman or chariot. You have to get to flanking 3, then upgrade to a knight or horse archer. That will get you to 95%.

RoK should work well for us.

FoL can be traded for later to improve our fruit, and we should be taking the OO holy city for the water mana from an evil civ soon enough.

Wow.
I thought there was something about upgrading from scouts, or is that hippus.

As to your questions:
1. The variant is war with evil (sheaim, clan) and no diplo with neutral (Hippus)
2. Yeah mages are perhaps unrealistic, I dont have much experience with elohim
3. Yeah those are my thoughts really, commerce is first priority. I'm always a bit sceptical about GK as its boost to gold is less of a factor early game. Main benefit to that route is early academy IMO
4. Thats the explored Pyre.
a) Yeah it probably would, I just think commerce is more important early.
It might be worthwhile to go education->crafting/mining ->CoL
b) My thoughts on close cities is that early on very few tiles (MAX 8 per city) are being worked, so its best to build close together so as to have to improve less tiles - c1 (for example) will be able to work a 5/0/1 tile from T1 due to overlap qith the capital.
I could be persuaded to 1N of c2, though I hate killing floodplains :(
It also helps for defence, as reaction forces can move quickly between cities.

Eh, theres no real use for a second water mana, we start with one for springing, and other then that it only gives water walking (meh) and elementals (way too far away IMO).

Here's a culture map to give people a idea of the distances:

I hear you on destroying the floodplain, but essentially we are giving up 1 food and 1 commerce for fresh water. Fresh water is equal to +2 food in any situation where we are health capped, which is most of the game in FFH. Moreover we have extra health penalties from the floodplains. Early on we won't have the pop cap to hit all the floodplains anyway.

Top Bottom