• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Succession Game for Newbies

Just a thought, you probably want to play one level higher than you are used to - the team is less likely to make mistakes or let the game drift than an individual. Monarch feels a little low for you guys - emperor is probably better.

Nice Starts othniel :D you 2 Kumquat ;)

So Overseer, are we going 2 vote what start we are going 2 play? :D

Othniel is this better?

It does look a bit more inviting...but, it looks pretty similar to your other Ottoman screenshots. :hmm: ;) I'm assuming you're editing a custom map, and if so, that's probably too much spoilerish info you would get from the map ahead of time that you wouldn't know if it was a random start. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption. :)

Tad Empire said:
So Overseer, are we going 2 vote what start we are going 2 play?

Yeah, let me echo Tad on this one. I'm ready to vote for which civ/start we play. :bounce:

I'm ok with Tad Empire's first legit French start :), any of the starts I posted, and Kumquat's start if it's not a custom map.

I say we pick a civ first, and then pick an associated start position. My vote is for French or Russia, either one works for me, but I can live with Ottomans if I'm outvoted. :p

Just a thought, you probably want to play one level higher than you are used to - the team is less likely to make mistakes or let the game drift than an individual. Monarch feels a little low for you guys - emperor is probably better.

Yep, I think we could easily take emperor AI, but we've reached a consensus so far on monarch, and getting a consensus on decisions hasn't been the easiest so far. :lol:

If we find the game to be too easy :rolleyes:, we can always start over. Also, if the start position we pick proves to be nasty land, we can also restart again. I'm not looking for fantastic land, just decent ;), but if just outside of the screenshot we are completely surrounded by mountains, well, let's not kill ourselves. Cowardice is the better part of valor, right? :rolleyes: :crazyeye:

Another triple post. :lol:

I couldn't resist posting a screenshot from my most recent solo game. I'm playing on Deity as the English on an Large 80% Continents with my goal of a quick Diplomatic victory (I know, diplo can be a little cheesy of a vc, but the most recent SGOTM inspired me to try for a fast diplo game on deity).

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting this screenshot: when I saw the start and nearby area, my mouth started watering. :eek: :drool: Definitely one of the best starting areas I've ever had...

If we can get a similar starting position for our game, you would have ZERO complaints from me. :lol:
Oh yeah, if you can't tell, the workers are sitting on two more BGs

Attachments

• English Diplo Deity game.jpg
    English Diplo Deity game.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 168
I would rather be France, so I will give up my lost cause and say France :)
I vote for the French oui oui!
What VC are we going for :confused:

SUPER nice start on the english solo game othneil ;) I wish I could get that kind of land :D

meh I think when TheOverseer logs in I think we should start voting & start 2 play :D. (To Kumquat)--> Finally you give up the ottomans :D I just hope it wont be 2 easy then it wont really be much fun:king: :crazyeye::king:

I would rather be France, so I will give up my lost cause and say France :)
I vote for the French oui oui!
What VC are we going for :confused:

I concur. My vote is also for France. I like Tad's first French map and either of the two French maps I posted (although note my two maps have different water %'s).

For a VC, I think domination with France would be a quality challenge with the crummy UU, and if not that, definitely space race. No culture, and the French already rule the UN in real life, so let's not repeat that mistake here... ;)

Otheil you mean the map with the cow? and rivers??? :)

Bonjour! :)

If you guys are new to the succession game format, for reference sake please review the normal etiquette for succession games so that we're all ready when we actually start playing. I think some of the "style rules" and such can be found here. --> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=14235

Take a look at some of the examples if that link is not too helpful. :)

Normal etiquette includes things like posting a "got it" when you are "up" in the playing order, posting a pre-turn sequence strategy post, and then stopping at major decision points in the game as warranted to ask the rest of team. Finally, when you are done with your 10 turn set, post a turn log and screenshots as appropriate on this thread. It's a bit of work but really helps out the communication flow. Thanks!

Otheil you mean the map with the cow? and rivers??? :)

Yep, the starting save with the cow, 3 bgs, rivers, and forests. It's a pretty nice start, although we will still have trouble getting +5fpt unless there is another food bonus in the fog.

The two maps I posted do have the +5fpt thing going for them. Of my maps, I do prefer the map for the 70% water. It's the one with the cow, 2 bgs, and the flood plains. It would make for a very easy settler factory. :D

lurker's comment:

How big do you plan your cities to be? If more than 12, well, you will need hospitals to do that, and they don't come early.

If you plan to max out at city size 12, then what you plan is rather easy and efficient. If you plan to grow larger than that and work all 21 tiles of a city, then this plan has a problem, since many workable tiles will not be worked for two ages. In this case, plan your core cities, but until you get hospitals build some cities-to-abandon that will let you work the tiles between the 'real' core cities.

Uh, I have heard this talked about but have yet to see it done in a game. It might be helpful to gives those cities-to-be-disbanded a special name even something as dull as 'Disband01'.

lurker's comment: I did this in a solo game. It worked really well - I started starving down my temporary cities in the late MA by building workers, which helped speed railing once I hit the IA.

I am on, I am thinking I am about ready to go, I will patch my computer that can get online to v1.22 tomorrow, I am fine with France and conquest as VC. The screenshot I saw looked decent enough to go with, I made a map that I added the goodies to the start location, but that woud be cheating, so I could go with the one Tad came up with. I haven't heard from HyCrest, so I can assume it's just us, so the order will be Myself, Kumquat, Othniel, and Tad. If HyCrest shows up, he could be 5th. Otherwise, we can go for it as 4, and we could go bigger in a future SG.

I would take that start and send the worker across the river to irrigate the cow and see what some more of the territory looks like.

I would be looking to move the settler because I hate putting a city on top of a bonus grassland tile.

I'm still interested in the game and appreciate the chance to play a succession game.

:wavey: Hycrest! I decided to try getting a good french start this is the best :)

It took over 2 hours to find but I think it is a good start.

Top Bottom