[GS] Sweden Livestream Discussion Thread

Yes this was confusing to me as well. I don't see how your "score" influences the outcome at all - you either take the city state or you don't. I would love for score to play a role. It's little detailed mistakes like this that are making me nervous about the release...
I think that it means that if three civs participate in a emergency, one captures the city state and liberates it, the second helps and have units there and the third dosent do anything, then the first two gets rewarded and the third not? So the score is just to determine if you patticipated at all.

Okay sleep was not forthcoming, so I updated the things I missed

I wonder if Norway's change could be a free melee ship whenever one is produced. Kind of like the Venetian Arsenal, but just for one class.

It would definitely give them more naval units.

I'll post a trade route screenshot if anyone is interested. It's hard to judge how much he's gaining from this sea trade route because he has an economic alliance with Mali which increases the gold from trade routes to Mali cities (which appear to be mostly over land). But you can see that his sea trade route to Canada is getting more gold than a land trade route to his economic ally. Not sure how the math works out on this, but this is a good preview.

Spoiler :

edit: Hamilton is actually a fair bit inland. So this trade route over the sea is about 2/3 sea and 1/3 land from a rough estimate. Or perhaps 3/4 and 1/4.

Last edited:
Are we counting China?

The Erie Canal could only accommodate barges, though. It's not really anything like the type of canals people have wanted.

The Noordhollands canal connected Amsterdam to the sea and was opened in 1824, a year before the first railroad. Of course, as steam replaced sail, the ships became too large and they had to build another canal, which is still in use.

Charlemagne tried to connect the Rhine and Danube, but the project was abandoned. You can still see the earthworks. It turns out that even if finished, it would have failed as, among other things, the two ends of the planned canal were at different levels and they didn't know how to build locks.

However, there's a world of difference between canals of this type and great canals capable of taking warships of all types - of which the first significant example is surely Suez.

A little disappointing that land unit couldn't sail through the canal and ended up converting back to land unit form. Shows the game is still treating that as a land tile. Not sure if they will change that, or can't change that.

when was the last time you crossed a canal via boat and not a bridge?

A lot of war on this livestream. The human player seems experienced at the war game. But did anyone see any noticeable improvements to land and naval AI?

But did anyone see any noticeable improvements to land and naval AI?

Not really. Harald had no ability to defend his cities or protect his lands. AI withdraws very wounded units as usual. He leaves vulnerable Berzerkers open to counterattack- this one I can excuse because this is a UU specific ability that the AI would not normally take into account. I wouldn't mind this so much if they had troops in position before they declared war. Preslav was easily overrun.

Naval warfare he did eliminate one of Carls's ships. But I didn't see a lot of focus fire. If Norway had more ships they would have taken Carl's small force out.

when was the last time you crossed a canal via boat and not a bridge?

The unit was already in the water on a boat (transport boat of course)

I think when Ed was saying he was thinking of balancing things post release (like Diplomatic votes affecting your relationships with other Civs), that might have been a slight hint of the possibility of a 3rd expansion? Not directly, but Ed was saying Firaxis would continue to keep working on the game after GS. Plus adding in a thing like other Civs changing their opinion of your based on your votes in the world congress is a fairly substantial add-on, it greatly alters the diplomatic system IMO.

If GS were to be the final expansion you'd think there wouldn't be a lot of balancing after it was released. Small updates and bug fixes sure, but not significant balancing.

For pillaging, definitely makes a "pillage but don't capture" strategy make a lot more sense. If you're going to get 80 science from pillaging a campus, I'm much more likely to want to pillage it even if I am going to conquer the city. or even just making sure that I can pillage all the lands around a city before taking it.
The AI has a hard time capturing cities, but they do know how to pillage, so maybe this will make them more competitive?

In any case, I'm really hoping the AI gets better at city capture.

A little disappointing that land unit couldn't sail through the canal and ended up converting back to land unit form. Shows the game is still treating that as a land tile. Not sure if they will change that, or can't change that.

That make sense for gameplay. Being able to disembark on that tile end up being more useful and less frustrating than being unable to do that. What could be interesting is if you could do both. If you click on the canal, the unit disembark. If you click on a water tile on the other side, the unit cross the canal embarked.

Top Bottom