• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[LP] Leader Pass: Rulers of England - 3/28 Developer Livestream w/ Andrew Johnson Discussion

Scrap the whole "Age of Steam" bit. It's already represented in "Workshop of the World."

I'd rather have a "Great Exhibition" Victoria. She's already dressed for the occasion (though perhaps a few decades too soon...)

Ability - British Museum:
- Each Archaeological Museum can hold six Artifacts instead of three and are automatically themed when they have six Artifacts. Archeologists have six charges, may enter foreign lands without open borders, and unlock at Humanism. Extracting an Artifact in foreign territory grants a tourism burst over this civilization (or gain an eureka?)
This is what I originally thought they would have referenced with "Age of Steam". Though with a "Great Exhibition" Victoria, you could still give Great Works the ability to yield extra science and production. :)
If Elizabeth's agenda is done through the trading screen, it will be a a lot more fair then Wilhelmina's agenda. Wilhelmina's agenda is super annoying because sometimes you literally can't trade with her.
Hopefully that's the case. I'm not so sure because it says "dislike civilizations that do not trade with her cities," You can't directly trade with cities through the trading screen, but only by traders. Of course I got this info from the civ wiki, so it may not be entirely accurate.
Edit: I rewatched the First look video and it says "She prefers civs who trade with her." That makes it more confusing. :crazyeye:
Though Wilhelmina specifically says, "dislikes those who refrain from sending trade routes to her cities." :dunno:

Last edited:
This is what I originally thought they would have referenced with "Age of Steam". Though with a "Great Exhibition" Victoria, you could still give Great Works the ability to yield extra science and production. :)

Hopefully that's the case. I'm not so sure because it says "dislike civilizations that do not trade with her cities," You can't directly trade with cities through the trading screen, but only by traders. Of course I got this info from the civ wiki, so it may not be entirely accurate.
Edit: I rewatched the First look video and it says "She prefers civs who trade with her." That makes it more confusing. :crazyeye:
Though Wilhelmina specifically says, "dislikes those who refrain from sending trade routes to her cities." :dunno:
Hopefully this will be more clear when the patch arrives soon. I do hope liz isn't "second Wilhelmina"

Hopefully this will be more clear when the patch arrives soon. I do hope liz isn't "second Wilhelmina"
That would instantly launch this pack over Great Negotiators, at least. :D

And I agree with you... but without extra modding it doesn't change the fact that they are boring and unimaginative ( and in case of new Victoria strong) ability.
Now if they made Victoria duel leader than yeah that WOULD be cool but alas...

Yeah, Firaxis have a PhD historian working for them and they give Elizabeth a "would you care for a trade agreement with England" trait 🤣
It's historically Civ (like nuclear Gandhi) not historically fact.

Both Elizabeth and Victoria ruled over two Golden Ages of England, yet no synergy with the Ages system of Civ VI.

England/Victoria is one of the original Civ VI civs/leaders.
But also one that has repeatedly got rebalanced and changed over the years and expansions.

First it was British Museum.
Then Workshop of the World.
Now Industrial Revolution.

Keeps going round and round 😆

Also note the revisions to Royal Navy Dockyard 😐

When does the DLC become available? As I type this it's nearly 7pm on the 29th here in Australia.

Ability - British Museum:
- Each Archaeological Museum can hold six Artifacts instead of three and are automatically themed when they have six Artifacts. Archeologists have six charges, may enter foreign lands without open borders, and unlock at Humanism. Extracting an Artifact in foreign territory grants a tourism burst over this civilization (or gain an eureka?)
God I love this idea so much! Why is it so hard for Firaxis to come up with interesting leader abilities this time round? What happened?

God I love this idea so much! Why is it so hard for Firaxis to come up with interesting leader abilities this time round? What happened?
It's a modified version of England's base ability.

I think the reason the leader abilities are a little lackluster is because on a programming level they're restricted to reusing old modifiers/existing bonuses.

It's a modified version of England's base ability.

I think the reason the leader abilities are a little lackluster is because on a programming level they're restricted to reusing old modifiers/existing bonuses.

I really wish they had considered adding new builds. The moratorium on new tile improvements, units, buildings, districts was very limiting.

(I realize this is a question of investment of resources)

(I realize this is a question of investment of resources)
Another bit of evidence that the great majority of their resources have long since been allocated to Civ VII . . .

Ultimately what we have got from the Leader Pass is more akin to a set of high quality alternate leader mods. Limited in scope, but with the benefit of Firaxis’s art department and voice casting agencies.

This is not to say that there aren’t modded leaders which are way more interesting than the LP ones. Nor that there aren’t some very high quality animated and voiced leaders on the Steam Workshop.

But the content falls far short of what would have been expected from a full expansion. It’s difficult to complaint about that too much, considering we weren’t expecting anything else to be added at all, let alone for free (at least for most players).

Firaxis set out to do justice to the game’s alternate leader framework, something they were originally happy to leave almost entirely to modders. They have certainly done that in terms of quantity, if not in actually enabling particularly interesting different play styles in all cases.

Ultimately what we have got from the Leader Pass is more akin to a set of high quality alternate leader mods. Limited in scope, but with the benefit of Firaxis’s art department and voice casting agencies.

This is not to say that there aren’t modded leaders which are way more interesting than the LP ones. Nor that there aren’t some very high quality animated and voiced leaders on the Steam Workshop.

But the content falls far short of what would have been expected from a full expansion. It’s difficult to complaint about that too much, considering we weren’t expecting anything else to be added at all, let alone for free (at least for most players).

Firaxis set out to do justice to the game’s alternate leader framework, something they were originally happy to leave almost entirely to modders. They have certainly done that in terms of quantity, if not in actually enabling particularly interesting different play styles in all cases.
Yeah, a few months ago we would have been totally satisfied to have one extra person.

I think that is all very fair.

I imagine, though, that if I had paid the US $19.99 for the LP, I wouldn't be able to help but feel disappointed.

Another bit of evidence that the great majority of their resources have long since been allocated to Civ VII . . .
Indeed, Carl's a Junior Developer but clearly the lead on this!

I imagine, though, that if I had paid the US $19.99 for the LP, I wouldn't be able to help but feel disappointed.
Yeah but you paid $0.00 for a reason, it's been a good deal!!

Top Bottom