SWGB on Mac!

dojoboy

Tsalagi
I just received Star Wars Galactic Battleground (SWGB), free game w/ my IMG Pro registration, and I'm pleasantly pleased. Its designed on the AoE2 engine, so much of it will be familiar to any of you who've played AoE2. However, playing as the Rebel Alliance and dispelling stormtoopers with my Jedi Masters is real fun. My 5 y/o is even into it. Hmm... :rolleyes: I guess that says a lot about me, eh.

Any advance players among us w/ SWGB? Has anyone played the Clone Campaigns add-on?

Originally posted by dojoboy
Any advance players among us w/ SWGB? Has anyone played the Clone Campaigns add-on?

While this is a bit OT for this forum, it pleases me to no end to read this. SWGB was perhaps one of the most "fun" games I've ever worked on. I'm delighted that you and your kid are enjoying it. :)

Yes it may be OT, but without PtW or Conquests we have little to talk about any more here :( :( :(

I play SWGB and I love it. I highly recommend the clone campaigns because the additions make the game more fun and more balanced. In the original SWGB the balance of the game led it to be little more than what were called "trooper wars" and most of the land and sea units weren't very useful. The sea units are still pretty useless but the air units are easier to produce and I love making lots of air units when I'm playing the republic, Wookies, rebels, or naboo.

I also highly recommend this update:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games_demoupdates/starwarsgalacticbattlegrounds.html

The expansion both before and after had a few bugs, and the original AoE2 engine had a lot of bugs that were fixed later, but those bugs were NOT fixed in the original SWGB, probably because of their release times. I've not used this patch yet because I just found out about it, but I have some weird color matching issues on all macs and all versions I've ever used with SWGB, 9.2 and 10.2 and 10.3.

I can say however with each update the AoE engine gets significantly less buggy.

Originally posted by Hellfire
The expansion both before and after had a few bugs, and the original AoE2 engine had a lot of bugs that were fixed later, but those bugs were NOT fixed in the original SWGB, probably because of their release times. I've not used this patch yet because I just found out about it, but I have some weird color matching issues on all macs and all versions I've ever used with SWGB, 9.2 and 10.2 and 10.3.

Let me know if any issues remain after you've patched the games. I don't typically see any bug reports on either game, and they're not talked about too often in forums.

dojoboy: actually no... only when games last longer than an hour or two do I wade into forums. RTS games I usually just solve myself, but I may decide to take on newer challenges and look things up. You can alter the games so much with the AOE engine and in SWGB. Right now if I'm not playing a scenario I play myself against 2 computer players on moderate difficulty with a population of 100. I win about 75% of the time, which is right in my comfort zone for this type of game. It's taking too long for Hordes of the Underdark to get to a store near me so I have no new distractions at the moment, I might go looking for new ways to play :)

Brad: after installing 1.1.1 I believe all my remaining issues are gone, but I haven't tested the color balancing issue on a OS 9 machine yet.

Actually there are a few other issues but they are engine issues. For example, if I start up SWGB fresh and load a saved game for a scenario and then beat it, I don't get credit for finishing the scenario. I don't think that's something you can control Brad :(

Originally posted by Hellfire
.....I play myself against 2 computer players on moderate difficulty with a population of 100. I win about 75% of the time, which is right in my comfort zone for this type of game. It's taking too long for Hordes of the Underdark to get to a store near me so I have no new distractions at the moment, I might go looking for new ways to play :)

This gives me a reference point.

Atm, I'm playing v. 2 opponents on the easy level, just below moderate. As the Galactic Empire, i rushed the Rebel Alliance w/ 10 stormtroopers and defeated them astonishingly fast. However, my preoccuation w/ the Rebel Alliance, building facilities, and researching tech, has allowed the Wookies to become a stubborn foe. I'm amazed at how well the Wookies (AI) use air power. The AA towers are effective however. The wooks did land a transport in my core settlement, destroying a carbon facility. I had dispatched 3 tie-fighters which destroyed the transport, after the fact. I didn't notice the damage until my carbon stores were depleting, my workers were forced to tranport carbon a distance 5x of what they had to before the attack.

Why do you limit pop to 100? Is this simply to keep games a certain lentgh of time? I've been maxing out at the 200 limit, not that I reach it, just like to have the flexibility.

What do you think about the Trade Federation's lack of need for prefab shelters? this seems like a real game-play advantage, not having to spend time ordering the construction of prefabs. I've not played them yet, so am not aware of any weaknesses.

dojoboy, the Trade Federation weakness is their troopers since they are very weak (low hitpoints compared to other civs).

I usually use the wookies because they are well balanced in streangth and weaknesses and have stronger than average troopers (higher hitpoints).

I play in a very slow way that takes many hours and sessions but I always win.

Civ has UU which are like this effect of diferent civs having different soldier hitpoints.

Oh hell we've been warned but the SWGB forums suck so I'm posting :)

Given my previous statement on how I play here's my strategy. This is NOT for Multiplayer and you might have to make changes as you change your game parameters.

You begin a game with 3 workers, a scout, and also a shuttle if you are on a space map. First I send the scout to look for food sources and try to get bantha and nerfs. I send 2 of the three workers to collect carbon and the third builds a prefab shelter and either an animal shelter or food store, depending on how many nerfs/bantha I find. IF I have the shuttle it scouts too.

I then start pumping out workers as fast as I can. Yhe first 16 are divided between food and carbon. If I find enough bantha/nerfs I won't put workers on food because animal shelters, given enough banthas, can produce a lot of food. I might make both structures if I need to.

Next I need to pick a place for my first centralized carbon collection area and put up a place for that. I'll continue to pump out workers until I have 8-10 on carbon, 3 on nova, 3 on ore, and a variable amount on food, depending on bantha, up to ten.

After my work force is in place, I will start researching tech level 2.

At some point after my work force is in place, and as soon as I have the carbon, I put up a power core near my food store/animal shelter (or both) and the build a troop center.

When tech 2 is researched, I get some more workers and start building walls right away. I try to strategically place them for:

1) Maximum protection
2) Most efficient use of space
3) minimum use of ore.

Note that on some maps, like forest and jungle maps, there are a lot of trees and forces can only get to each other on the ground by way of narrow paths. This makes building walls extremely easy. Make sure you can build a gate at these walls, not only to get out, but to attract the AI. Some portions of paths are even too narrow for a gate.

While some workers work on walls, another builds a war center and a jedi academy, and I try to get all the upgrades I can from the places I've built. #1 priority is upgrading to troopers from recruits. #2 then becomes resource collection enhancements for food and carbon. #3 are all the upgrades in the war academy except for mech plating.

Build a jedi when you can, and send him to get holocrons. At this point your scouts should have been looking for and found several holocrons (five total). Note that sometimes holocrons show up near your base and inside your walls. Go for the ones outside your walls. I feel you'll be at a significant disadvantage if you don't get at least three. Four is ideal, and five if you want a holocron win (but that ruins the fun of building the army and blowing everyone up! :D )

While the walls go up, I also build gates at what I suspect to be good places to expect an attack. The AI likes to attack gates so just put up 2, maybe 3 if you really need it. Put two laser turrets at each gate and put three troopers in each. With three troopers in a turret, the turret fires four times instead of one. Don't ask me why you only need three troopers.

You got to keep things building all at the same time at level two, as this level requires everything to be highly coordinated. When you have the resources and the right upgrades, to level 3.

Getting to level 2 quickly is not a priority, but level 3 is. So if you can put off going to 2 in order to make getting to level 3 quicker, do it. In fact its probably best.

At level 3, your super duper A #1 first most important priority is to build a research center and research Accu-Ion Accelerators. this will up your turret power by 225%. Next upgrade will be hvy walls, and third upgrade will be medium turrets. This combo at any gate should be able to resist just about any land assault another tech level 3 force can throw at you, asside from perhaps pummels. I recommend a few jedi knights to take care of pummels (which you can research for now). After these upgrades, I recommend resource enhancements on all areas except nova. By now your holocrons should be pumping out nova automatically and if you have at least 3, you will have no more nova worries the rest of the game. I keep drilling for nova because eventually you may have to buy ore rather than mine it.

At this point, my strategy diverges depending on who I play. Either I have a land strategy or an air strategy. Air races are the Rebels, Republic, Naboo, and Wookies. Land forces are trade federation, confederacy, empire, and gungans. Another way to look at it is if the race has "shield modifications" as an upgrade for air units, thats an air strategy race.

I play random factions so If I get an air race I'll make two airbases. If I get a land race I'll build two mech factories and a heavy weapons factory. I'll also make sure my anti-air troopers are upgraded and maybe put in a few trooper upgrades while building anti-air turrets and at least one fortress. These should be at or near the gates. At least air anti-air per gate, but two would be optimal for mobs of bombers.

To shore up my defenses at level 3, shield generators at the gates are excellent and highly recommended. 80% of attacks will be stupid squads wandering up to your gates and shooting at your turrets and walls causing 1 point of damage a shot. This will be annoying but can add up over time. With shields, no damage effects the turrets or walls and damage to shields regenerates automatically so you don't have to worry about it. Only pummels, bombers, artillery, blaster cannons, and air cruisers can cause a dent in shields.

At this point you should research anything in your research center and proceed to tech level 4. Your defenses should be pretty solid. Just keep an eye out for massive waves of troops, rogue air forces, and pummels (damn pummels!).

At tech level 4, research efficient buildings at a power core, and from there just upgrade everything in the research center (starting with shield walls and the turret upgrades) and either the mech factory OR the airbase, depending on the strategy path. Researching troop improvements isn't bad either if you have a squad of anti-air picking off rogue air units or you want a fallback in case your troops have to evacuate the turrets. Note that most strong air factions also have an upgrade to reduce the cost of the air units, that should be researched first. Rebels also have air speeders which rock, and should be used in conjunction with the rest of your air forces.

Once I have everything upgraded its time to build my army!

My air armies consist of 15 fighters and 15 bombers, 6 blaster cannons, and 8-10 jedi masters, as upgraded as I can get (with wookies I settle with regular jedi). The jedi are meant to protect the cannons and the cannons are for air turrets. Fighters are to protect the bombers and take out ground units and bombers are for buildings. If the land forces prove too strong and take out my cannons and jedi too easily, instead of building more cannons I'll make more bombers and sacrifice them against the enemy's air turrets. I'll then mop up the base, which is pretty easy once the air turrets are gone. I start with the airbases, hvy weapons factories and troop centers (places that generate anti-air) and then the command center. From there its simply a mop up job.

If I'm using a ground faction I'll make ten strike mechs, ten anti mech mechs, and ten assault mechs. I'll also make 4-6 anti air mechs from the heavy weapons factory. I used to make pummels and artillery, which you can do, but I find useless because assault mechs take care of everything. Then my tactic is to simply steam roller the opposition. Attack EVERYTHING with the assault mechs, and use the strike and anti-mech units for mop up of close range pains. Ten strike mechs do a good job on jedi, and waste troops and workers in nanoseconds. Anti-mechs kill anything else bothering you in seconds. The Assault mechs are good on everything but should concentrate on buildings. I've also noticed the AI doesn't upgrade the range of turrets very often, if at all, so strike mechs can take out turrets and fortresses as their range is JUST outside those building's ranges.

On a rare occasion I'll note I "rolled" a map and a faction which just don't work well, for example a land faction and a jungle map with narrow paths that a large army can't pass through. If thats the case I'll just hunker down and build a monument, or if I'm lucky, get all 5 holocrons.

Typically I go for the elimination win and sometimes will deliberately not go for the fifth holocron, though I leave that option open just in case.

Notes:

1) The strongest air forces are the rebels. Use X-wings for air superiority, y-wings to bomb buildings, A-wings on troops, and air speeders for mechs/hvy weapons. Instead of building air forces as above I build ten each of these. This combination is deadly.

2) The strong ground force is the empire. You can often get away with not building anti-air mechs because heavy assault mech (AT-ATs have anti air capability when upgraded. Also all their mechs are extremely strong after upgrading, but be careful as air speeders eat mechs for lunch (Rebels Rule!!!! :goodjob: )

3) Shield generators protect gates, but other walls need the shield wall upgrade (tech 4) to be shielded, even if they are in the shield generator radius.

4) against the AI, troopers on offense suck. Even in the campaigns I never have any success with troopers if I'm given the option to use Mechs. I only use trooper units in turrets to increase their number of attacks, and even then if you wanted to use any other type of unit, a jedi or worker, you could!

5) If you get attacked by anything more than a small squad of mounted and regular troopers before tech level 3, your in trouble. Large squads can bring down your walls and then your turrets and then you are just dead using this strategy, because you have no units yet. Take your time getting to level 2 but rush to level 3 after that.

6) Researching rotational bearings so that your turrets have no minimum range is useful in case you have resources to spare and are waiting for other research. If your walls fall, your turrets can still fire on the enemy and hopefully kill them before your turrets die. Also, researching troop improvements also helps if you get sieged and your walls crash and your turrets are taken out. The troops will ungarrison and begin shooting. The more they are upgraded the longer they will last for a last ditch effort, and the longer they last the more time you have to build more units to mount a counter attack.

7) save often! Also every time I save I save into a different file. sometimes I like a random map so much but its so hard that I have to start over a few times to win it and I at least want that original file.

8) Building a spaceport is only necessary if you run out of ore, which I often do, but then you don't need it right away. Sometimes if you want to ally with one of the AI players, you'll need to give them tribute. You'll need to work into your strategy whether you want to do this, but I've gotten into the habit of ignoring the "threats" the AI has given me and just wipe them out :nuke:

9) Altering the settings of the game even by a little bit changes the dynamics of any strategy. If I introduce a third AI or up the pop to 125, I can easily get overwhelmed as the game will have more units than I can handle with my basic defenses. I'll admit its easy to get into a rut, but the articles on SWGB strategy are few and far between and the sites are hard to search, unlike places like this :)

Okay I promise not to say another word on this in this forum! Email me if you'd like to talk some more about this.

Originally posted by subbss
I heard there was a program to get the graphics from SWGB to be used in civ. Is there a way to put civ3 graphics into SWGB?
Neat move to get the thread back on topic ;)

Top Bottom