• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Take-Two Games FY2025 quarterly report

It’s over an hour long. Can you tell me a time point? I’m interested in the context.
That was for the quarter. For the year Take Two made a loss of ~$3.7 billion. Check the media release again.
The points still stand that posting a loss isn’t a notable event in and of itself, and there are clear events that explain the vast majority of the dollar amount.

It’s over an hour long. Can you tell me a time point? I’m interested in the context.
It's like in the first 2 min 😆

Later on Joe explains he is currently working on an unannounced project. My guess XCOM 3. (i.e. Firaxis are bringing card combat to XCOM).
The points still stand that posting a loss isn’t a notable event in and of itself, and there are clear events that explain the vast majority of the dollar amount.
Rose tinted glasses 😏

A $4 billion loss for fiscal year is colossal.

It's like in the first 2 min 😆
How was I supposed to know that it was in that time frame? I listened for a minute and didn’t hear anything.

Anyway, he says it like it’s a slip of the tongue while he’s listing what Firaxis is known for. I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into what a single developer says at a tiny game conference across the world. You’re acting like he said “midnight suns is our new franchise and we’re excited to build on it”.
Rose tinted glasses 😏

A $4 billion loss for fiscal year is colossal.
Not sure what “rose tinted glasses” has to do with anything.

The reported loss is not a bad thing or anything to start forecasting negative things over. It just sounds like a big scary number to a lay person.

If it were a bad thing or a big deal, the stock would’ve tanked. Instead, investors loved what they heard, because the stock rocketed up at market open after the earnings call and is up over 3%.

I feel like we'll start to hear rumblings about whatever 2K is bringing to Summer Game Fest next week.

Nope.
Marvel's Midnight Suns is its own thing.

A new IP.

In the two latest GDC presentations Firaxis have referred to it as a "franchise" alongside XCOM and Civ.

Anyway, anybody note Take Two's almost $4 billion loss for 2024? 😲
https://www.take2games.com/ir/news/take-two-interactive-software-inc-reports-results-fourth-0

Nope? Yep? I don't understand this manner of discussing. Furthermore, you replied to me stating information that doesn't reply to what I said.

I never said it wasn't its own thing, and I never said it wasn't a new IP, I never claimed it wasn't a "franchise". I said it could be done in place of where an XCOM could have been. If you have limited time/developers/money and you have to develop a game, you could develop game A or B. Considering the release windows of the XCOM titles over the last ten years, I think it's safe to assume Marvel's Midnight Sun's was developed using assets that could otherwise have gone into developing a new XCOM (or any other game for that matter).
But seeing as the topic was the announcement of a new XCOM game, I think it's not unlikely that a developer releasing an XCOM-like game at a similar interval of where normally another XCOM title would have fit, means it substitutes a hypothetical new XCOM, and therefore makes it less likely for us to see a new XCOM soon.

I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into what a single developer says at a tiny game conference across the world.
It's the same presentation Firaxis gave at GDC 2024 in San Francisco, just that it's not on YouTube. Only the one from India's GDC.

Moderator Action: Please do not accuse other forum members of racism. If you have an issue with something, please report it and explain your objection in detail and staff will look into it. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like we'll start to hear rumblings about whatever 2K is bringing to Summer Game Fest next week.

The fact that nothing has been leaked from Civ 7 yet makes it more likely to be Mafia 4 imho, given Firaxis's records of (not) leaking things :)
Otoh, I gather a lot of their leaks may have came from firms hired to do translations, and they probably aren't at that point of the base game.

The fact that nothing has been leaked from Civ 7 yet makes it more likely to be Mafia 4 imho, given Firaxis's records of (not) leaking things :)
Otoh, I gather a lot of their leaks may have came from firms hired to do translations, and they probably aren't at that point of the base game.
You're right, Fireaxis doesn't leak, but they like to tease. If a VII announcement was at SGF, then I wouldn't be surprised if they had let influencers know and they and the main social media accounts will start teasing at an announcement.

Looks like it might be Mafia 4. A Czech site that did a documentary on Warhorse is claiming that's what 2K is bringing to Summer Game Fest.

I've seen a lot of people assume it was Civ because surely it's beloved, but I always found Civ to be a niche.

If you asked an average game if they know what Civ is, they probably would say no, and would say yes to either Mafia or Borderlands.

I think we're just REALLY hungry.

If you asked an average game if they know what Civ is, they probably would say no, and would say yes to either Mafia or Borderlands.
I don’t know about that. I am pretty sure Civ has way more sales than Mafia. Mafia is a much more niche series.

And I think the average person in general is way more likely to know what Civ is vs Borderlands.

I don’t know about that. I am pretty sure Civ has way more sales than Mafia. Mafia is a much more niche series.

And I think the average person in general is way more likely to know what Civ is vs Borderlands.
Agreed. Civ is niche compared to GTA, but not niche in itself.

If it were a bad thing or a big deal, the stock would’ve tanked. Instead, investors loved what they heard, because the stock rocketed up at market open after the earnings call and is up over 3%.

Re: $4 billion fiscal 2024 loss of Take Two:

A man died on a Singapore Airlines flight and several injured due to turbulence and Singapore Airlines stock is going up. Nothing makes sense.

If Apple made a $4 billion loss it would be considered a big deal. A very big deal. That's a trillion dollar company. (Take Two is only $25 billion).

But most of it isn't a real loss, it's debt. They borrowed money to buy Gearbox. They now have debt and a nonliquidable asset that hasn't paid for itself yet. That's why it looks like a loss of money on paper. The value of the corporation didn't decrease because of this.

But most of it isn't a real loss, it's debt. They borrowed money to buy Gearbox. They now have debt and a nonliquidable asset that hasn't paid for itself yet. That's why it looks like a loss of money on paper. The value of the corporation didn't decrease because of this.
It’s also largely a good thing. They have paper losses they can claim, despite having lost nothing in actuality, which reduces their tax burden. This is business 101.

It’s the same exact principle of real estate investors claiming yearly depreciation as a loss against their investment.

If it is really Mafia 4 and not Civ VII, then I am going to be bewildered by the development time of the next civ game.

Civ4 - 4 years. Civ5 - 5 years. Civ 6 - 6 years (I have never realized how the time corresponded to the numbers). And then Civ 7... 9 years?
I get there was pandemic and increasing production values in the meantime, but I don't think any fans expected development to take that long.

Furthermore, civ4 did transition to 3D graphics, civ5 did transition to hexes and 1UPT, civ6 unstacked cities. What kind of revolution could we get in civ7 which would justify such long production? Individual population units with occupation, class, ethnicity, religion and happiness, making rebellions and civil wars*? Actually functional AI and combat system**? Actually captivating endgame?*** Imagine all that just to get civ6 on steroids - which I think would be catastrophic, because civ6 already was civ5 on steroids and suffered from enormous feature bloat instead of emergent depth. You can't really take civ6 as a basis and pile even more mechanics on top of it, it's a dead end. Some kind of fundamental shakeup is needed, especially if that long dev time is going to feel justified.

* - to be fair if civ7 did that then I could forgive enormously long dev time
** - that too
*** - and if they achieve that, all shall be forgiven

Top Bottom