• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Take-Two Games FY2025 quarterly report

If it is really Mafia 4 and not Civ VII, then I am going to be bewildered by the development time of the next civ game.

Civ4 - 4 years. Civ5 - 5 years. Civ 6 - 6 years (I have never realized how the time corresponded to the numbers). And then Civ 7... 9 years?
They're going to release CIvs 7, 8 and 9 in one go, and work on developing the one which proves the most popular 🧠

If it is really Mafia 4 and not Civ VII, then I am going to be bewildered by the development time of the next civ game.

Civ4 - 4 years. Civ5 - 5 years. Civ 6 - 6 years (I have never realized how the time corresponded to the numbers). And then Civ 7... 9 years?
I get there was pandemic and increasing production values in the meantime, but I don't think any fans expected development to take that long.

Furthermore, civ4 did transition to 3D graphics, civ5 did transition to hexes and 1UPT, civ6 unstacked cities. What kind of revolution could we get in civ7 which would justify such long production? Individual population units with occupation, class, ethnicity, religion and happiness, making rebellions and civil wars*? Actually functional AI and combat system**? Actually captivating endgame?*** Imagine all that just to get civ6 on steroids - which I think would be catastrophic, because civ6 already was civ5 on steroids and suffered from enormous feature bloat instead of emergent depth. You can't really take civ6 as a basis and pile even more mechanics on top of it, it's a dead end. Some kind of fundamental shakeup is needed, especially if that long dev time is going to feel justified.

* - to be fair if civ7 did that then I could forgive enormously long dev time
** - that too
*** - and if they achieve that, all shall be forgiven
That's what I've been saying. It's been a very long development period. Granted, Civ 6 had a very long tail and pandemic things happened. But it's still been quite long. I really hope the benefit of such a long cycle is a revolution in game mechanics.

I know, right? It’s amazing how many intelligent people are concentrated on this Internet forum from 2000. The discourse here is so much better than on sites like Reddit.
I was actually referring to the other thread where my comment was pulled from, and specifically Krajzen's tinfoil post

I have bleak feeling it's going to be Mafia 4 after all

Civ5 and Civ6 were separated only by six years. But civ6 had much longer development tail (de facto third expansion), pandemic greatly disturbing dev process, plus the whole "newer games need more and more time". Assign one year to each of those factors and we get terrible 9 years of development. Previously I assumed it's going to be eight years because for some reason I didn't treat frontier pass as delaying factor.

Of course it's all magical thinking to some degree, because after all there is no reason why any of those three factors should delay civ7 by exactly one year :p

Crusader Kings 3 was released 8 years after CK2, Victoria 3 - like 11? years after Vic2, EU5 will probably go out next year, 12 years after EU4...

There's always some members who are going to rotate to whatever the highest priority is, but each franchise has its core team that stay focused.
Yeah, this. The teams are separate and while some devs might float between them, they're pretty much separate entities.

The SteamDB for Civ 6 had several updates last week that seemed to indicate they're testing changes to the infernal 2K Launcher.

They're probably working to further degrade players' experience with the launcher. Unless of course, they're changing it to advertise Mafia 4 to 2K games players when they announce it at SGF. Strangely, Mafia 3's SteamDB doesn't show similar changes. So, probably just making the launcher even worse, right?

The SteamDB for Civ 6 had several updates last week that seemed to indicate they're testing changes to the infernal 2K Launcher.

They're probably working to further degrade players' experience with the launcher. Unless of course, they're changing it to advertise Mafia 4 to 2K games players when they announce it at SGF. Strangely, Mafia 3's SteamDB doesn't show similar changes. So, probably just making the launcher even worse, right?
Can I read all this as a sign of enhancing chances of a civ 7 announcement coming?

Last edited:
That's it! Clearly the launcher is one of their biggest and most beloved franchises. It unites their customers in ways no single game ever will. Just look how many people post in the sticky thread about the launcher just to say "thank you".
Haha! That's it! Show's over! Give this man the 10,000$!

Top Bottom