Team Game #2 - OCC Conquest only

Was away for the weekend, we did not play until mining yet? Slacking ;)

Sold on no early granary, but in return i would start with a monument before warriors.
Getting stone sooner and border pop also supports fugbusting.

Chopping forests surrounded by others we used a lot in that Sitting Bull sgotm, Dutchfire..
yep can get lucky and worth doing :)

Yay Imploding, Oracle is on our tech way if we want CS quickly so we can try?
Yup mining - AH - wheel - masonry, wheel first might get stone connected faster unless we lag behind with our worker.

I'll play the next set of turns.
Will finish the worker and start on a monument. Warrior gets healed before walking again.

Played until turn 18. Farm is ready and mining will be ready next turn.

Spoiler :

t16.JPG

t17.JPG

t18.JPG

On turn 14 we met Suryavarman of the Zulu empire next to our borders. One lion was close on turn 16 and a barb warrior showed himself to our warrior on turn 17.

Not much to add here.

Attachments

• Fippy BC-3280.CivBeyondSwordSave
    56.6 KB · Views: 199
I thought we would do at least 1 warrior before the monument. It feels a bit naked without a warrior on MP duty.

What is the preferred way to farm XP for our other warrior? Survival rate is probably highest if we park him on a forest/jungle hill somewhere.

:goodjob: Tonny,
well for monument it's early or not (now) imo Dutchfire.
Should be nps with barbs so early, and our production will increase fast.

Tbh i think we could move our warrior towards Madrid now, scouting is not really important on Pangaea..they will all find us, normally.
He could stay close for safety.

We can pick a spy points target, Hatshy maybe?

Worker should go towards northern gold first, so he can be closer to cows later.

Worker should go towards northern gold first, so he can be closer to cows later.

I agree

I already was reverting the warrior back to Madrid after he healed.

Warriors will come at a rate of one every 2 turns very soon.
For now Monument can be ready in less than 7 turns and a warrior can follow soon.

Last edited:
Was halfway against the monument first.. (was actually thinking about SH for GPP) but it will get the 3rd ring quicker and we will have enough hammers to get warriors.
Going to be painfull to grow. Have to find a good mix between production/commerce/food to maximize our game plan.

How about working the gold/lake tile and only improving 1 gold? We can make a farm while we wait for AH

I guess we agree on tech path?
finish mining - > AH - > masonry - > The wheel
I can do the next turns set is it about 10 turns with the possibility of or stopping if something significant happens?

City tiles: Wheat is best. A few turns of lake with citizen 2, then change to gold mine.
AHnext looks good.
Worker: 2 turns moving, then 4(?) turns building a mine. AH comes in less than 14 turns from now (some extra commerce due to lake).
I could be convinced that moving to the southern gold now, mining it, then farming the grassland 1SW of the capital and then pasturing the cows is best. That leaves very few wasted worker turns, and another 3food tiles is useful to help our growth. I don't think we're going to be working both gold tiles much early on (before size 5?) any way. What do you think? Prefer the standard improvement of both golds?

Ok, I will play until AH :)
To me it seems like we are agreeing with focus on a more balanced approach to growing/ maximizing commerce in the early game. I will execute the turn set as dutchfire suggest.
Lets give the game plan a couple hours to be evaluated.

Last edited:
Ok, just played.

t19 - set research to AH, backtracked with warrior to fogbust in a "safe" location. started working the wheat
t20 - nothing, moved worker on Gold south, warrior is aiming for a jungle hill
t21 - working size 2, working wheat/lake. starting to put EP points on Suryavarman II, he got the least on us and is a decent techer
t22 - nothing, moved warrior on a forest hill closer to home. will fortify there.
t23 - nothing.
t24 - finished Gold S started working it, 5 turns til AH.
t25 - started farming a farm og grassland SW of cap. finished monument, starting on warrior. spotted first archer 4E of cap.
t26 - archers moves 1N.
t27 - finished first warrior sending him to forested hill SW of cap. Starting second warrior. spotted archer close to beginning warrior. moved 1 back maybe the archer from Genghis can take him on.
t28 - warrior is being chased, running for now.
t29 - Finished AH. We got horses! 2 boarder pops away from cap, should be possible to get them with some nice culture from wonders! Hinduism got founded. Kind of late.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Attachments

• Fippy BC-2840.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Very good report :)

Imo we can tech wheel before masonry.
Worker has 9t of improvements (would finish & work farm, hurts a bit with gold but we really need food more than beakers or hammers for now),
and stone border pop comes in 14t. Leaves us some time for roads.

Meanwhile there should be nothing wrong with putting more hammers into warriors (so delaying masonry will not hurt), Pyras without stone not great anyways.
No AI borders visible yet so could get quiet a barb rush if unlucky.

Still a chance for iron 2W of the capital!

I agree with wheel before masonry.
Worker should improve the western cow first and southern cow second. Then we can start roading towards the stone.
If there is room for it, I suggest building barracks very soon. 3 XP for the warriors can be life saving (and barracks are needed anyway for conquest). I'll need to do some calculations.

Maybe I'm only debating with my self here.. but I got a couple points.

I really want to finish that farm before we start on the cows.
That will enable us to work the second cow faster, and eventually the second gold faster. How much quicker will we grow? Is there a timing here? 1 turn faster? 2 turns faster?
By finishing the farm 1 turn. we get 4 extra food. (the tile will be worked for 4 turns) and we will lose out on 3 hammers. and 8 commerce (assuming we will work the lake if we don't work the farm instead)
I think we will grow to 4 pop 2 turns faster by finishing the farm. So definitely worth it IMO.

We will lose some commerce but that will be quickly corrected when we work the second gold 2-3-4 turns faster. That makes me thinking....

Worker route alternatives:

Alternative 0 (Fastest gold/slow stone) and slow growth
Work the Farm, (1) gold (6), road farm SW of cap (1), Cow(4), Cow (4), road farm SW of cap (1), Road Cow (2), road stone (3), stone (6).
That will enable us to work second gold in 7 turns. The fast detour will lose us about 8 turns of 100 % hammer yield to Pyramids: 9h (ca. calculated base production) * 100 % * 8/2 = 48 hammers. about 4-5 turns slower build. We will also grow really slow, and makes AH a kind of wasted 2nd tech...

Alternative 1 (Fast gold/slow stone).
Work the Farm, (1) Cow (4), gold (6), road farm SW of cap (1), Cow(4), road farm SW of cap (1), Road Cow (2), road stone (3), stone (6)
That will enable us to work second gold in 11 turns. The fast detour will lose us about 8 turns of 100 % hammer yield to Pyramids: 12h (ca. calculated base production) * 100 % * 8/2 = 48 hammers. about 3-4 turns slower build

Alternative 2 (Medium gold/medium stone)
Worker route, Farm, (1) Cow (4), Cow(4), road farm SW of cap (2), gold (5), Road Cow (3), road stone (3), stone (6)
We can start to work the second gold in 17 turns. The gold detour will lose us about 6 turns of 100 % hammer yield to Pyramids: 12h (ca. calculated base production) * 100 % * 6 = 36 hammers. About 2-3 turns slower build

Alternative 3 (slow gold/ fast stone)
Worker route, Farm, (1) Cow (4), Cow(4), road farm SW of cap (2), Road Cow (2), road stone (3), stone (6), gold (6),
Fastest mids but we only start working the gold in 30 turns !!

Ofc. there is some other calculations about working the extra gold will slow growth down. (but here i think we can micro to get important techs/grow in a good way. Maybe my math is off one some points so please correct/review me :)

Maybe can squeeze in the oracle? (CoL and GPP) That is only 2 quick techs away since we are starting with myst. At what time can we start building the oracle, if we went that route?

Oracle:
TW 6 turns?, Masonry 5- 7* turns, meditation (3-5*) /priesthood (2-4*). that's in 16 - 22 turns. Starting the oracle @ t 45 - 51.
*depending on if we go for worker route Alt. 0. 1. 2 or 3.

The oracle rout will delay granary, library, the pyramids. But the sweet satisfaction on switching in to rep/caste being a PHI leader will give us some fast settled GP's/acadamy/math/Pilo bulb (?)

To the barrack discussion I'm all on board,maybe 1 more warrior to the North first? And remember to start the mids for 1 turn when we get the masonry tech.

Last edited:
Farm & double cow are without real alternatives imo (9t),
and also stone afterwards.

We could use another worker, and eventually could fit him in at size 4.
Growing becomes less valuable without a granary at this point, building a worker loses food but i expect us waiting for pottery so..
maybe not bad timing to squeeze him in while waiting for granary.

Overall we cannot expect getting Pyras & Oracle without chopping, so 2nd worker would be needed for ambitious play.
We have lots of 3rd ring forests.

Ok, hm.. I can agree to the farm/dual cows. But I think Gold before stone.
The extra commerce opens up so many possibilities, even a faster granary.

Agree with second worker @ size 4. For 3 ring chops/roading and stone. Will be at the cost of the barracks.

With the second worker and chopping as a possibility it can be the crucial hammers we need for both pyramids and oracle.
Its important to "start" the wonder as early as possible. Just put one turn into it and leave it in queue.

Top Bottom