Team Game #2 - OCC Conquest only

Anyway, for the next turnset, I think we only need to decide on (my suggestions in parentheses):
Build: (Worker)
Research: (Agriculture)
Scouting: (Probably best to go far out. We won't settle cities so we don't need to look for spots.)
Shall I play a few turns with these ideas in mind? (I hope this is a turnset where I can do little wrong!)

Warrior in jungle killed lion (1xp)
Finished Agriculture.

Met Hatsheput of Portugal and Genghis Khan of America.

Spoiler :

Met Portugal

Healing warrior

American archer 1NW of our warrior.

Attachments

• Fippy BC-3520.CivBeyondSwordSave
    54.1 KB · Views: 139
I like going AH before Wheel and Pottery. Growth is halted anyway by using the mines. You can still build barracks and a few warriors and even one more worker (needed anyway in the future for roading towards victims).

I like going AH before Wheel and Pottery. Growth is halted anyway by using the mines. You can still build barracks and a few warriors and even one more worker (needed anyway in the future for roading towards victims).

I'm still not sure between AH and wheel->pottery, but I really don't think we need another worker for OCC. One is fine for now to improve all the tiles we need, and as soon as we start warring we'll steal tons of them. The main benefit of pottery is that, when we do stop working the golds for a little while to facilitate growth, we'll already have a granary in place so won't have to spend as long without the gold tiles.

And it's just regular unmodded BTS.

Btw... What mod is used in this game?

My usually plays with BAT, but I assume she is just using BUG/BULL in custom assets here to make it more accessible.

Yep no mods (i also deactivated .dll when creating maps).

Mainly i value a granary more than working cows for now,
in regular games they are good for settlers or workers, but here they are not that much better than a simple green farm while no good builds are unlocked.

Seems like a good time for granary building while gold mines are worked,
and growing beyond size 3 with double food gain already.

If you're all worried about having nothing to spend our hammers on, the answer is simply to tech Masonry :)

The Animal Husbandry path might look something like this:
Tech: Animal Husbandry -> Mining -> Masonry
Workers makes farm on the wheat, then farm 1SW of the city (AH not yet ready), then pastures on the cows, then gold mines.
City grows while building warrior/Monument/Stonehenge until Masonry is finished.

I guess we should make a test save where we can try some things out.

Seems like a good time for granary building while gold mines are worked,
and growing beyond size 3 with double food gain already.

You got me convinced to tech Pottery before AH.

City grows while building warrior/Monument/Stonehenge until Masonry is finished.

Stonehenge will not help us. It generates Great Prophet points and they will only pollute our GP pool. You want engineers and scientists in OCC. Failgold is also useless in OCC.

Are we agreed that Mining is the next tech for the next turnset?

Yep (mining), and imo we should work the lake while no improvements are around, and build some warriors for barb defense.

Masonry has little value until stone border pop imo.
We could talk about monument thou, if we think it's wise getting stone into our borders quicker :)

I knocked up a quick WB test game for all to play around with. Tiles and resources in the first 3-4 rings should match the actual game. Included the 2 civs encountered so far.

Looking at the lands it seems you are rather food starved for a PHI leader. Will be interesting to see how you work with that up to Biology. Maybe you don't even need to tech that far :lol:

Attachments

• CFC Team Game 2 OCC TEST GAME.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    236.7 KB · Views: 45
I agree on mining, working lake (until wheat farm is done).

As for the monument idea:
It might make our borders pop about 8-10 turns faster (the difference between ~T42 and T51), which seems like it could be important for winning the mids. But if we're going to do the monument, then we have something to build for a little while and could consider AH before pottery to get some more hammers. OTOH, I like the idea of some early defensive warriors and trying to get some land fogbusted, and a monument makes that a lot tougher. I guess I'd call myself opposed to the monument for now. More willing to take the risk on a later mids date than the risk of flat-out losing due to barbs (or having to crank out way too many warriors).

I agree on mining, working lake (until wheat farm is done).

As for the monument idea:
It might make our borders pop about 8-10 turns faster (the difference between ~T42 and T51), which seems like it could be important for winning the mids. But if we're going to do the monument, then we have something to build for a little while and could consider AH before pottery to get some more hammers. OTOH, I like the idea of some early defensive warriors and trying to get some land fogbusted, and a monument makes that a lot tougher. I guess I'd call myself opposed to the monument for now. More willing to take the risk on a later mids date than the risk of flat-out losing due to barbs (or having to crank out way too many warriors).

Agreed. Monument is useless beyond the 8 tturn faster border pop, so the simplified question would be: is it worth 30 hammers to get stone 8 turns faster? I don’t think so. Besides you’d have to road that resource anyways so it might not even save you anything.

Actually do you guys mind if I play a few turns? Just to clarify - no reloading right?

Yeah, you've convinced me that mining is best.

Monument is also +1 :) since we are charismatic.

By the way, in addition to warriors we could also build a work boat to explore/fogbust at some point. Exploring by sea is usually safer and leads to easy trade routes.

edit: Yes, I think we're always looking for more players. Next few turns should be pretty clear. And no, no reloading, so think before you click :)

Yep +1 happy, Monument would be a very good build imo (while there's nothing vital like granary, wonders etc), if not for barb danger and warriors needed too.

I think we could settle for monument + AH before wheel, i really like that earlier border pop cos even if we have roads prepared, quarry takes 6t. Starting Pyras on t55 or so sounds dangerous.

(we can reload on mistakes, some will do so and some are fine with accepting them, but i want no pressure and rule against that in team games tbh.
But we never cheese combats :))

Yep +1 happy, Monument would be a very good build imo (while there's nothing vital like granary, wonders etc), if not for barb danger and warriors needed too.

I think we could settle for monument + AH before wheel, i really like that earlier border pop cos even if we have roads prepared, quarry takes 6t. Starting Pyras on t55 or so sounds dangerous.

(we can reload on mistakes, some will do so and some are fine with accepting them, but i want no pressure and rule against that in team games tbh.
But we never cheese combats :))

I’m sold on the monument. Forgot we were cha, or Lincoln for that matter.

And yeah, those are the same reloading rules I go by. Yes for strategic reconsiderations and misclicks, no for everything else. Well, except for when I lose at 95%+ odds. Then I make like @Lain and call bullcrap.

On a tangential note, I wish there was a GG promo that reversed combat odds for whatever unit is attached. So 1% becomes 99% and vice versa. Call it “ingenuity” or something. Possibly very abusable with warriors getting guaranteed wins against everything that comes after...but could require something ludicrous like combat VI to “balance” things out a bit :crazyeye:.

Won’t be home for a bit. You guys can wait or play a bit without me.

Played some OCC Emperor to get a feeling for city development.

In my test, I found early Pottery+Granary a bit underwhelming, but that was with a start that had some actual food. By the time the granary is finished, you're already at size 4-6 natively (and happiness bound until masonry+pyramids), so pottery does not help much. Here, with our poor food, granary might be more valuable.

Do we want to go for the Oracle after the Pyramids? Oracle->Aesthetics helps a lot towards getting the Great Library quickly. Great Prophet Points are annoying though.

I built 1 worker in my test game, but I think building a second worker could be worth it.

Chopping in such a way that forests can regrow is useful.

How is it going?

Nice challenge! I really like these kind of games and I would not mind playing a couple turns!
In OCC games and considering we have stone and are PHI I think the majority of research will come from running rep and settled GP's. Even with the golds.

I Think the priorities are:
1. survive barbs.
2. Get mids, run rep.
3. Get 1-2 settled GPs

Would say that a granary in this situation wont pay of as much as you would hope. Thinking getting to work on those golds as quick as possible and spam some warriors will give us everything a bit faster.
Thinking Agg -> mining -> AH -> wheel/masonary - Wheel/masonary - > Pottary.

Might consider the oracle as well? with 2x gold we might be able to squeeze it in there.. but even with the gold I'm not sure we can oracle something crazy maybe just CoL but that migth be good enough. The GPP from oracle is also nice.

Top Bottom