Team Organization and Ethos

Sounds better. It also gives option to use better voting methods when there are more than two options.

Inspired by evolving discussion in Leader Picking thread I started thinking that we should probably start organizing main threads we will be using during the game. Although I do believe that anyone should be able to start a new thread when needed, some main threads should probably be agreed on. If we rely on selforganizating threads there might be some confusing results (taking things to extremes: discussing strategy in screenshot app development thread).

Obviously we need at least threads for discussing the strategy, diplo and espionage. I think also that it might be clearer if we split some of these discussions too. Here is my draft suggestion how things could look:

Disclaimer: Names in the bold are just place holders. Please, lets come up with more catching names for the threads.
  • Strategy Discussion, a thread for discussing overall grand strategy. Things like what direction to expand first, whether to go for SE or CE.
  • Turn Optimization, a thread for discussing current and near future turns. Potential topics including worker optimization, fogbuster placement, and exact city placements.
  • Warfare Management, kind of obvious isn't it. This could also be done in separate threads for every war. Not sure which would be better.
  • Main Diplomacy, thread for overall diplomacy discussion. Closely related to Strategy thread. Discussion on who do we want to ally and who do we not and ways how to do this.
  • Diplomatic Missives Discussion, a thread(s) for polishing our diplomatic letters and interpreting our rivals replies. Might be done in one thread or have separate thread for each team.
  • Espionage Discussion, a thread for discussing skulduggery and mischief. Demohacking, spy management, espionage priorities and such.

Thougts? Any other necessary threads? Anything unnecessary in the list? What do we call our main threads?

Looks very good Aivoturso! My only additional suggestion is creating the threads that will be heavily used split for e.g. 50 turns at a time. :) E.g. "Strategy Discussion Turn 1-50" etc.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

[*]Main Diplomacy, thread for overall diplomacy discussion. Closely related to Strategy thread. Discussion on who do we want to ally and who do we not and ways how to do this.
[*]Diplomatic Missives Discussion, a thread(s) for polishing our diplomatic letters and interpreting our rivals replies. Might be done in one thread or have separate thread for each team.

We are going to want Embassy threads for each of the teams (this is where we can polish the missives) and also a main Diplomacy "fusion" thread to tie our foreign relations strategy together.

It would also be good to select specific ambassadors for the other teams. The ambassador would be the sole point of contact and the "face" of CFC for the team they are assigned to.

Yes, separate threads for different teams was what helped Amazon too keep track of all the letters, PMs, in-game chats, etc where we had interaction with the teams.

Separate ambassadors for the different teams is also cool idea, although we can make it 1 diplomat for 2-3 or so teams, dont see problem about this. Innate diplomatic skills are good enough to be a diplomat, of course if you have history or/and knowledge about some figures of the team you are going to contact with is best.

Which teams you had contacts with in the past? I have played with WPC, Apolyton and civplayers and have basic understanding of their ways of thinking and play. Despite maybe being know somewhere can be a drawback for your diplomatic success if you have there reputation.

I'm on pretty good terms with many. The potential trouble lies in playing time -- it's hard telling how long until something yanks me away from the game. Delays can be brutal, reference my team's non-communication with Saturn in one of the previous games.

It's important to give our diplomats timely support. They need to be able to say something fairly quickly. But I don't need to tell the former Amazons anything about that. :)

I think talon said he was working on a draft for the newer revision. I'm not sure if it's useful to translate ours at this point. The new RB one is pretty much the same, and will likely be adopted.

Pardon me, Sommerswerd. The AEGIS Cruiser was supposed to be only until I'd passed the postcount limit to upload my own.

I have translated our new one, but I doubt we need to send it. If anything, the amalgamated one ought to be translated.

Inspired by evolving discussion in Leader Picking thread I started thinking that we should probably start organizing main threads we will be using during the game. Although I do believe that anyone should be able to start a new thread when needed, some main threads should probably be agreed on. If we rely on selforganizating threads there might be some confusing results (taking things to extremes: discussing strategy in screenshot app development thread).

I am bringing this up again as I noticed that the discussion in the Starting Location thread looks to be evolving to a more long-term strategy discussion. Browsing through several of these threads, I realized Aivoturso has really been trying to organize this team. Thanks for these efforts.

Anyways, there are still a number of issues that we probably want to finalize before the game starts, and seeing as how the clock is ticking to vote for the ruleset, this should (hopefully) happen very soon.

Main Threads
Aivoturso listed what seems to me to be a pretty complete list of all the official threads we will need. Should we go ahead and create them now, maybe Sticky them as well? Are there any others that we need to add? Did we decide that we definitely want one diplo thread per team, or is that still under discussion?

Team Constitution
Bowsling posted a constitution awhile back, do we want to use this? My personal preference would be to just go with the list of positions/titles that Aivoturso posted. If we use this list, would we want to document the official responsibilities and "powers" of each position, or just go with the assumed duties that go with the titles? Do we need to vote on any of this, or can we go ahead and let whoever volunteers take those positions?

Polling Method
This seems to come up any time we need to count up votes, but I don't think we've finalized a definite method yet. talonschild has taken a lead on this so far, but we should decide on our official method so that all necessary future polls can be conducted without argument about how best to do so, or whether the vote was valid.

Naming Theme
Maybe one of the most important things that has barely gotten any discussion yet, is what will be our naming theme? Obviously, this isn't important to our strategy or ability to win, but adds a lot of fun and flavor to our game. I am not the creative type, so I don't have any suggestions here, but let's please start discussing if our team will follow a certain theme, what should we name our cities (our capital, especially), will we name units/workers/landmarks/etc? Hmm, maybe this will need a thread of its own?

Best if we have at least an outline of post duties.

Elections need only occur if more than one person volunteers for a post. To encourage more volunteers, perhaps volunteering ought to be done in secret (as in the proposed constitution).

Can threads be deStickied? If not, we should leave the threads specific to one portion of the game (e.g. Strategy Turns 51-100) unStickied lest they clutter up the Stickyspace.

I have too many conflicting ideas on name themes to voice an opinion on that at present.

Sticking and unsticking can be done at will, you just need a friendly moderator to come along. No issues there...

I have no desire to be the keeper of the names, but I'm happy to start a thread to get the discussion going.

Top Bottom