Team Structure

classical_hero

In whom I trust
What sort of structure do we want as a team. Do we want to have a formal structure where we have formal chain of command where we have various positions for members should they want to be active in the game, or do we want a loose structure where anyone can be part of the action, which will be more lke a SGOTM?

So far the most successful teams have played under the formal format. I know that team MIA was the most formally structured team I have ever been under and Epsilon started out that way, but many players did not finish so it become almost a one man band, with a few helpers. So I am going for a formal structure like having a turnplayer, them someone who looks after the other bits such as diplomacy and the domestic part of the game. and so on.

I'm up for designated roles too, so we know who's butt to kick if things get missed :D

I have no problem with a formal structure as long as each has a back-up as not to miss any tasks.

Jeff

In a very structured environment, what happens when the person designated as 'It' for a subject just wanders off?

I'm not opposed to having formal roles. I just don't want to face the situation where we cannot act because one of our leaders is missing.

The single player demo games are plagued with problems generated by formal roles. I've had a pleasant experience in the current Civ III MTDG where there are no formalities. I think we should seriously consider playing together without formal roles and just let us all contribute according to our individual strengths.

In Team FREE (Civ III MTDG 2) we started out with formal positions but as the game has progressed we've drifted away from that. Sometimes it hurts, like when our Turnplayer has had to drop out for a while, but overall I think it has been helpful for participation and team input.

Right now I'm Turnplayer not because I am the best player or any such nonsense. I'm Turnplayer because I can and will do it, and no one else really wants to. Others have ideas/suggestions and I implement them.

Ideally, I would like everyone on the team (Team FREE and Team 1) to have the chance to be Turnplayer.

I don't know how different Civ IV is from Civ III, but I would favor the idea that in the early game we rotate the Turnplayer every 5 or 10 turns or so, to give more people the chance to experience the joys and pressure of being the Turnplayer. In turn, I think those people will be more inclined to stick with the game, since they have had a direct affect on the game by the decisions that they made.

Later on we could drift into other roles as we meet the other teams in-game.

I think I like the idea of 'Slightly Organized Chaos' as our team structure. :D

I like the idea of a loose structure. It allows people to be involved and not put to much pressure on a few people.

I think we need to get a little organized, at least in the beginning. We want to get off to a good start and we don't want to be the team that drops the ball and messes up the overall game.

1) Do we have any turn players? (if not this is going to be a really short game!)

2) Do we have any micromanagers who understand the BTS game mechanics and like to crunch the numbers? Our opponents have these kind of players and they are going to leverage every little efficiency to get ahead. Someone who plays at a high level on single player and knows all the gambits would help keeps us competitive.

3) Do we have any experienced diplomats? This might be a good role for our CIV III MTDG vets! My only fear is you guys might get outclassed during diplomacy by opponents who have 1st hand knowledge of the BTS mechanics (negotiating for tech trades, etc.)

Me:
1) can't right now
2) micromanager tendencies but I don't know all the gambits
3) no diplo experience

1) Can't - don't have BtS
2) I thought in [civ4] micromanaging wasn't important? :confused:
3) Only so-so in diplomacy. Our diplomat doesn't have to have exact BtS knowledge. He just has to be able to write good letters since he can get the nuts and bolts from the rest of the team.

I joined Team Smurkz in the SGOTM 9 - Civ IV (the current Civ IV SGOTM) and I was surprised at the number crunching and demo games they played. Niklas has always been a number cruncher, in addition to having a good grasp of strategy and how everything fits together.

I am willing to be Speaker-to-Animals, when the time arrives, but I don't think I should be the only one. If we do have a lot of dialogue with the other teams, we should try to have one person for each team.

Of course, if they don't talk back, that doesn't work too well. :crazyeye:

I am willing to be Speaker-to-Animals, when the time arrives, but I don't think I should be the only one.

:lol:

Ok, I hear what people are saying about set roles, but we should at least make sure we have core areas covered by maybe some mini-teams?

So for example, how many turn players do we have? How many people want to do diplo? How many micromanage? Perhaps that's a good half-way house between too much structure and not enough?

Turn-Players
Diplomats
BeanCounters and ExcelWizards
Dreamers and Planners
The Usual Gang of Idiots

Turn-Player Yes - since I have BTS and am patched to 3.17
Diplomats No - I know nobody
BeanCounters and ExcelWizards No - I was never a number counter. I guess that explains why I haven't gotten past Prince
Dreamers and Planners Yes - I do have pretty good vision for city planning and placement.
The Usual Gang of Idiots Yes - I have been called worse :crazyeye:

Jeff

Turn-Player: Willing, but I lack the game. Hopefully, that will change at Christmas.
Diplomats: Willing, have done so in the past.
BeanCounters and ExcelWizards: Not my strong suit, but it is something I need to focus on.
Dreamers and Planners: Sometimes.
The Usual Gang of Idiots: Guilty as charged. :lol:

My main claim to fame in the Civ III MTDG 2 has been creating stories about in-game events (mostly) for Team FREE. And that was because I could and nobody else would.

I'm willing to be turn-player, but I've had some problems with multiplayer in the past so I'm not sure if it will work.

Btw, this is my first Multi-team Demogame and I'm not sure how it works. How is the gamesave loaded, played, saved, etc?

If I can't be turn-player I'll just join the gang of idiots I suppose =p

I'd like to work in all areas although I don't think I have the requisites skills to lead one of the mini-teams... well maybe the usual idiots :D

But seriously, we need to identify turn players- is there anyone that can play? anyone?...

Ah Boko just volunteered to be a turn player while i was typing, at least we can get off the ground now!

Does anyone know if I could log onto to pitboss to view the turn if I don't have BTS 3.17? I'm guessing not, but i've never done pitboss before. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but the pitboss server will allow us to check out the game status anytime right? We are going to have to come up with a way to report info/screenshots so those people who cant log onto pitboss can still contribute. I might just have to patch 3.17 and say sayonara to one of my current pbem games...

Does anyone know if I could log onto to pitboss to view the turn if I don't have BTS 3.17?
Now that is a good question. Has it been asked in the UN anywhere?

Turn-Player Yes - I have BTS and am patched to 3.17 but have limited time so I should be a backup turn-player.
Diplomats No - Not sure how involved I'll be able to be in this as well.
BeanCounters and ExcelWizards Yes - Excel dude here
Dreamers and Planners Yes - I normally play on Emperor Huge or Immortal, but don't have MP experience, but happy to help with this.
The Usual Gang of Idiots - Oh alright then

I can be a turn player...will have to be subbed when on vacation though..

I am a very good microer

But I suck at diplomacy

I mainly play multiplayer on civplayers league and pitboss where diplomacy is non existant or minimal that is why..

In any case the turn player should post screens here and bring up issues for discussion..

And of course all that have BTS should log in game from time to time and see what is happening.

To be honest if someone does not have BTS It will be difficult for him to help in any way as BTS is different in many aspects than previous versions..

Top Bottom