1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Structure

Discussion in 'Team Kazakhstan' started by classical_hero, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Boko

Boko Chieftain

Is there any way I can test if I can be a turn-player? Maybe make a test pitboss game for myself to see if it works? I'd like to know if I can be a turn-player, but I'm not sure at this point since I've never done a game like this.

2. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

All you need to be a turn player is to have BTS and internet connection

But the turn player must be very experienced player, we can take decisions in the forums but micro is very important...and obviously we cannot go through every small detail here as the game progresses..

3. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Well, as a Turn Player in Civ 3, experience is helpful but not required. And by this I mean that if you are a solid player at the medium difficulty ranges, you should do fine as a Turn Player. You don't have to win at Sid to do a good turn.

Also, just because you haven't played at the medium levels is no reason to disqualify someone from being Turn Player, if they have the proper guidance, and that means us giving them helps, hints and step-by-step plans of what to do.

While experience is important, another factor just as critical is trust. Do we as the team know the person well enough to trust them with playing a turn or more?

I would be wary of someone who just appears out of nowhere (new member or inactive team member) and wants the job.

In the C3C world, since it was PBEM, the Turn Player could download the save and play it, while others (Turn Players in Training) could also download the save and play it and compare it to what the Official Turn. I don't know if pitboss would let us do the same thing or not.

Oh, yes we can. :D We are only playing one turn at a time.

4. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

I don't say it has to be me commando...You don't trust me that is fine...

But it HAS to be an experienced player...getting someone who is playing medium levels against ai to do the turn player it is with 100% certainty that we will be ages behind more experienced teams before we know it.

I know because I have been there...playing with ai at medium levels..and after 2 years of multiplayer I can tell you the gap is huge...

This might sound aroggant but it is how things are..

The clock on this game will be 24 hours...you think the turn player will post here every single detail, every day and we will come to an agreemet here on what he will do?

I don't think so..... strategic choices will be made here....micro will be left to the turn player and all those who log in the game and see what is going on...

5. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

What do we mean by 'experienced'?? Is high-level (Emperor+up ?)single player good enough or do we need people with multiplayer experience too...?

6. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I am willing to trust you as Turn Player since you have experience with the game. But I do disagree with you on some points. I can trust you completely and still disagree with you. :D
    Yes, but you are talking about solo mp games. This is a team effort and that does make a difference.

My first SG was C3C SGOTM 09. I had one (1) Monarch win at that point; everything else was at Chieftain. But I was part of the team and the team helped me become a better player by helping me and instructing me.

At some point a weaker player will be the Turn Player and it is our job to help that person avoid mistakes. At some point in the game I expect to be Turn Player for a bit. I am going to have to rely on my teammates to help me do a good job for the team.
    I really don't see any reason that the Turn Player could not post every single detail, especially early in the game. The game logs a lot of stuff anyway. And since the Turn Player is going to post a log of what they do on the turn anyway, so that we don't have to log into the game to see what has occurred, I'm sure that they are going to include their reasons for their actions in the log.

True, as our empire grows we may not want to know which citizens are working which tile in each city. :eek:

Note: In Team FREE our turn logs are several posts. One post on our current status, listing city information, resources connected to the capital, military strength and so on. Second post deals with the unit activity of the turn; who moved where and did what. Progress on worker turns is tracked in this post. Also in this post the Turn Player explains the high points of the turn; rushing builds, changes to the Science rate and things like that. The next three posts are screen shots from different parts of the game.

And yes, it is tedious (especially the first time!), but it is complete. A new person to our team could take one look at these turn logs and have a very good idea of the state of our empire. (How I wish that Team KISS in C3C MTDG I had been that wise. I came into the game late and was unsure about many things for a long time.)

We didn't decide to have logs that complete. It just got that way as the game progressed. I liked it, but I didn't start it or ask for it.

Note 2: I hope I am not sounding harsh or mean spirited. That is not my intent. I am trying to explain and to do that I must use examples from my past.

7. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

Ok...from my part I will do my best to help from any role...

I realize there are not many multiplayer players here.....so it will be even more interesting to exchange ideas...mix it up and see how it goes...

Lets have fun :)

8. Bolkonski

Bolkonski Prince Bolkonsky

I have experience of both single and multi player, including hosting a PitBoss game.

In BTS my strengths are Diplomacy and Espionage. I can micromanage pretty well too.

I think that it is a good idea to have some loose formal positions for overall management; finance, domestic, foreign and defence come immediately to mind- it will be more likely to keep people involved - with the understanding that anyone can contribute in any area.

Also, with the idea of keeping people involved, we could have team members assigned to individual cities as governors for micromanagement, again with the understanding that anyone could contribute.

9. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Not a problem. Let the exchanges begin!

It is my understanding that Civ IV games typically have fewer cities than C3C. This sounds like a good way to pick up some MM skills along the way, too.

10. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Ok I'm not sure how pit boss works. Does this 24 hour clock mean all teams must play a turn within 24 hours of the first team or within 24 hours of the team before them? If it's the latter then we won't have to make decisions every day. It could be as long as five days between our turns.

11. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

The latter. The former would be the case if this were a Simulataneous PitBoss game. But we are using Sequential turns, which means 24 hours for each team. :)

12. Herviov

Herviov Chieftain

Hi everybody. I've been out of touch but here I am.

My potential roles:

-Turnplayer: I'm not certain I'm technically up to date so it's better for everybody that I stay clear of this
    -Diplomats: I don't know anybody
    -BeanCounter: I'm competitve at emperor so I guess I could play this role. I do it in my head so I never used an excel sheet for that (it's a game for me you know...)
    -Dreamer: I'm pretty good at forcasting my city layout 5 or 6 city in advance while squeezing a wonder between 3 and 4
    Idiot: Everybody is good at that

13. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Welcome to the forum Herviov!

:dance: :banana: :woohoo: :cheers:

You probably have no idea what you signed up for, but don't feel bad. No one else does either! :lol: This is my third MTDG, first at Civ IV, and this pregame phase is so very different from my last one.

As you can see, we are still trying to decide many things about our team; even our team name and Civ Leader. donsig and classical_hero have been part of MTDGs in the Civ III world; I don't know about Civ IV. I don't know if we have anyone here from MTDG I - Civ IV or not.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. (But try not to set yourself up for a smart-aleck answer :crazyeye:).

14. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

I don't have BTS so I wont be able to play turns.

That said, I am experienced with Civ 4 multiplayer and expect me a to be a constant advocate of warfare.

15. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I think a semi-loose game fits the format here, with a leadership of three people (we should never have more positions than an eight of our members), just to make sure all bases are covered and we got some structure.

16. donsig

Provo, long time no see my old TNT friend! :)

SO, who are the candidates for turnplayer? I expect we'll be needing one soon.

17. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Good to see you too Donsig :) I was in the US backing Obama, by the way, to get in the good graces there :)

18. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

Most urgently, who is going to do turn 1? we need a screenshot of what the warrior finds and that to be fed back to the rest of the team before we build with the settler

19. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Just an FYI, I started this thread, Turns 0 to 10, as a place to record/log/post/discuss what we do on these turns.

20. donsig

Should we start having our planning discussions there now or is that thread intended as an historical record of our actual moves? I think the latter should be in a single thread for the entire game. We can do the minute planning in threads chopped up in ten turn units, while we continue to discuss overall strategy in the game plan thread.